New partner for RF 82 II

heino69

Hi,

currently i'm using a RC 62 II in my setup (2 x RF 82 II, 2 x RS 52 II for Surround, 2 x RS 42 II for Surround Back, RT-10d)

In my opinion the center sounds a little bit to thin and i like to upgrade to have more "power" for the center.

My question is, if a RC 64 II (from the matching productline) will be the first choice

or

the "old" RC 7 (which i can have second hand for a good price) will be the better choice.

Will the RC 7 fit to the new "setup" of the MK II series?

Again: My goal is to have rich, deep and powerfull center and the RC 7 do have bigger low frequency drives (8" vs. 6,5") than the RC 64 II

THANX in advance !

Juergen

I can't believe you think the rc-62 sounds thin. I'm wondering if it's a setup or placement issue. I actually though when I had the rc-64 and rc-62 at the same time my rc-62 sounded a bit "beefier" if you will in my room because of being front ported. Obviously the rc-64 has larger tweeter and double the woofers but then switches to a sealed cabinet which to me lost a little bit. Both are great center channels. I vote play with what you have a little more before you go to a center than will

Not be voice matched any longer. How high is your tv? Could you do a third rf-82ii?

• Moderators

A long time ago, I had a chance to hear the RC-62 with the RF-82 and it sounded great together. Could be a calibration issue? Maybe try increasing the level of the center channel 2 - 3db. Also, do you have the speaker angled to where it is pointing directly at your ears? When I had the RC-7, it was in an entertainment center about 5ft from the floor. At that position, it was firing 2ft above my head. Someone from the forum suggested I angle the speaker downwards towards my ears and it made a huge difference.

sorry, the sub wasn't listed in my config - now it's added...

so 2 pro's for RC 64 II till now:

is the RC 64 II noticeable better than the RC 62II (in terms of better voice and more "power")?

Thanx

Better speaker top to bottom with a bigger more effortless sound. Will be a very nice upgrade over the rc-62. I owned both and ran the rc-64ii with the rf-82s for a while. They sounded great.

I'm using my setup in my HT - so there is no TV, i use a DLP pro with a 110" screen.

The Center is a high as possible under the screen and the angle is adjusted to point direct at ear level of the sweet spot.

I also played a lot with my Marantz amp (Audyssey on / off, etc.) but i'm still not happy with some sound situations where voice is not loud and strong enough.

Maybe i will wait for a good RC64II second hand deal...

Thanx to all!

I can't believe you think the rc-62 sounds thin. I'm wondering if it's a setup or placement issue. I actually though when I had the rc-64 and rc-62 at the same time my rc-62 sounded a bit "beefier" if you will in my room because of being front ported. Obviously the rc-64 has larger tweeter and double the woofers but then switches to a sealed cabinet which to me lost a little bit. Both are great center channels. I vote play with what you have a little more before you go to a center than will

Not be voice matched any longer.

My sentiments exactly. My RC-62II sounds fantastic. I'm never wanting more.