Who Here Is Eqing Their Khorns

jcmusic

When I had my K-horns in their previous location (our first floor music teaching studio) I used a Behringer DEQ2496 as a digital EQ (between the music server and the DAC). It made a surprisingly large improvement in the sound. When I built my theater room in the basement and moved the K-horns down there I found the EQ was no longer needed. So I guess my experience is that it is room dependent if an EQ is needed. If you are all digital I would not hesitate to recommend the Behringer, if you are doing analog sources not so much. I was not impressed with it in that capacity.

I'm guessing any adjustments you make will be very room dependent. There is a software tool -- Room EQ Wizard (REW) -- that can be used to measure the response in a room and create an "ideal" EQ. I don't have any experience with it, but others here have.

I use a software-based active crossover (BruteFIR) for my Khorns and added a little EQ, tuned by ear, to attempt to get some increased extension on the bottom end. I found that more than around 6dB boost below say 30 Hz resulted in clipping even at moderate volume levels. I eventually settled on the following levels:

20 Hz +4dB, 22 Hz +4dB, 25 Hz +4dB, 28Hz +3dB, 31 Hz +3dB, 34 Hz +3 dB, 37 Hz +2dB, 40Hz +1dB

To really get that bottom octave (16Hz would be nice for pipe organ) a sub is necessary. Maybe someday...

- Bill

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

When I had my K-horns in their previous location (our first floor music teaching studio) I used a Behringer DEQ2496 as a digital EQ (between the music server and the DAC). It made a surprisingly large improvement in the sound. When I built my theater room in the basement and moved the K-horns down there I found the EQ was no longer needed. So I guess my experience is that it is room dependent if an EQ is needed. If you are all digital I would not hesitate to recommend the Behringer, if you are doing analog sources not so much. I was not impressed with it in that capacity.

PM sent.

Well I am using a Parametric EQ with my Khorns with good results to this point, I do not boost any of the frequency's just cut's to the peaks. This has given me a pretty flat response from about 100hz to about 5000hz, my room is treated with bass traps and reflection panels. I am still undecided about using a sub I need to listen more to decide. I just finished putting the last acoustic treatment yesterday.

So tomorrow I will get some new measurements and do some listening to see where I am...

post-18877-0-27200000-1387754357_thumb.j

post-18877-0-19200000-1387754368_thumb.j

I thought that pic looked familiar.....I just saw it on AK a few minutes ago. :)

Those look like the same GIK panels I have. How are they working for you up high (on the ceiling)? I never tried it that way since I read that it was only really for HT type acoustics and not for two-channel. Which I'm surprised I never tried it since I always experiment against what most people say is better or the "right" way of doing things.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear what kind of improvements (if any) you hear with them up high like that.

I thought that pic looked familiar.....I just saw it on AK a few minutes ago. :)

Those look like the same GIK panels I have. How are they working for you up high (on the ceiling)? I never tried it that way since I read that it was only really for HT type acoustics and not for two-channel. Which I'm surprised I never tried it since I always experiment against what most people say is better or the "right" way of doing things.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear what kind of improvements (if any) you hear with them up high like that.

Here are the results on paper no sub just the mains, it sounds great very smooth and tight.

post-18877-0-90920000-1388075387_thumb.j

It looks like your speakers are falling off considerably below 90hz. I would think it would be fairly obvious. It may be a factor of using a 45SET amp. Smooth mids and highs but lacks bass. I too am using a 45 SET but only for the mids and highs. For the bass i use a Hypex class D amp.