Are Heresy's always a compromise?

RF7X3M

Hello,

wanted to know - are there any of you who consider the Heresy's their absolute favorite? Or at least an absolute must for their stereo music? I cannot audition them so I will apreciate your input and I guess it would help me make a decision too.

I have never heard Heresy so far and I am very much intrigued by them. I know many of you prefer Cornwalls, but if you are fond of a tight and balanced sound woudn't then the H-3 be the better choice? No, I am not giving away my RF7's [:)] but at the same time I have always had few pairs of studio monitors around and I use them for casual listening and just for a different perspective of my music.

Also many have complained by the lack of base, can this be compensated by a sub? Or does it really need to be? Since their impact comes from the agility and the speed of the bass, not its depth and don't you agree this approach has merits on itsown? So maybe to paraphrase the question to a more reasonable form - are the Heresy's only a restricted version of Cornwall or is there more into them?

cheers and happy listening!

wanted to know - are there any of you who consider the Heresy's their absolute favorite? Or at least an absolute must for their stereo music?

I love me some Heresy. My Heresy setup in my guest bedroom(note: great acoustics) with my Integra DTM-40.4/Integra DPS-10.5 combo is the best sounding 2-channel rig in my home.

but if you are fond of a tight and balanced sound woudn't then the H-3 be the better choice?

I sure think so.

Also many have complained by the lack of base

Not lack of bass, lack of low bass.

can this be compensated by a sub?

Yes.

Or does it really need to be?

No.

Since their impact comes from the agility and the speed of the bass, not its depth and don't you agree this approach has merits on itsown?

Absolutely. The control and accuracy of the bass and midrange is what I most like about the Heresy/Heresy II.

Bill

What Bill stated is spot on!

I own Heresy IIs and have listened to my son's original Heresy speakers. Both are great, in my opinion, with the HII edging out the original, being more balanced and smooth sounding. From what I have read, the HIII is even better. One would hope this is the case as it is a continuation fo the same line.

I don't use a sub with mine and find they have plenty of low bass. For those used to subwoofers, they wouldn't agree, but they are still wonderful in their own right. I use mine for 2 channel tv duty and music, with my LaScalas used for my main 2 channel music listening.

Bruce

Thanks guys for taking the time to share your thoughts!

I felt the "imperfect Cornwall" makes no justice to those speakers and it is almost unfortunate that because of their bigger brother they are not valued on their own qualities.

Now I am only more curious, but looking at the gear you gyus accumulated I am sure you know how it feels :) and I think you would agree that OWNING FEW PAIRS OF KLIPSCH SPEAKERS SHOULD BE A BASIC HUMAN RIGHT !!! :)))

Heresies and an Eico HF-81 is all anyone would ever need to truly enjoy music; that combination will never leave my home. Most normal people ask me after hearing that system, why I need all the other stuff I have. I, of course, do need all that other stuff for myriad reasons. Saying those other systems are better isn't necessarily accurate - they are just different. Certain music (anything by Jewel) I overwhemingly prefer the Heresies... if I am listening to Mr. Crowley, I prefer the KHorns/Dynaco combo. Are Heresies a compromise? No.

It depends on the music you prefer really. A set of Heresy's with a tube amp sounds great! If you want to listen to hip-hop or rap, you are gonna need a sub. Heresy's paired with a sub are about as good as anything you'll hear. For the size, they're better than anything I've heard. They are a compromise if you have room for large speakers and a good room, as a Khorn, Lascala, or Belle will beat them. That is only because those speakers also have horn loaded woofers. IMO, a LS and a THT is the best sound I have ever heard with a speaker of any kind. I have tried LS with KPT-684's, and it just doesn't come close. The LS and a THT is the best, IMHO.

First "compromise" is NOT a value judgment. It's a choice.

Second, there is a reason PWK named them "Heresy." They represent a compromise from his cardinal points for cost and size.

While I understand why PWK named them Heresy, I don't think it really fits. As long as a designer fully understands these points and deviates from them with good reason...size and cost being good reason...it's a good thing.

Jubs are also "Heresy" in the same way. They deviate both in terms of cost and size from the Klipschorn, and since they were from PWK himself, we can rest assured he did so for good reason. Jub owners are likely to agree.

Dave

Heresy-based 2.1 systems can be every bit as engaging as much larger systems. Especially with a really good sub as in the Table Tuba or the like.

Taking into account that listening space is usually at a premium for most buyers...in the majority of residential applications, the design arguably gives up nothing at all.

• Like 1

Heresy-based 2.1 systems can be every bit as engaging as much larger systems. Especially with a really good sub as in the Table Tuba or the like.

Abolutely and totally agree, especially with the sub you specify. OTOH, it's apples and oranges as you are "fixing" the compromise that is the reason for the Heresy's existence.

Dave

In its essence, a Heresy is just a wee little bitty Cornwall, probably Irish
in origin and drunk. It’s a shrunken Cornwall with a shorter bottom end.
I own both, and if you can squeeze in the big boy, go for it. It's no contest.
Sorry, proponents of a sub are just putting a band-aid on a bruise.

Cost and consideration. Yes a heresy makes sense. Probably Klipsch's biggest
seller in the Heritage series.

Sorry, proponents of a sub are just putting a band-aid on a bruise.

Agree with all you said but this part. I have heard at Carl's (cecaa550 on the forum I THINK...) a sub system so perfectly integrated into a Klipsch Heritage system as to be totally sonically invisible and transparent. I've a horn loaded Cinema F6 sitting my garage awaiting cosmetic finishing I hope to have his help in tuning to my Klipschorn system that well get me down to 16hz for those 32' organ stops I love, and I predict it will do so quite transparently as well.

The 2.1 Heresy matchup with a Table Tuba should be the perfect solution for those wanting big Heritage performance but at Heresy space requirements. The TT can serve exactly as it's name implies, as a table, in places where Cornies or K'horn's can't be fitted and outperform either in the lowest octave. Also, for the audiophile on a budget, you can build your own and save a bunch of bucks while getting yer balls tickled properly.

Granted, this doesn't change the basic premise of this thread: Every thing in the Heritage line except the K'horn represents a compromise in one or more of the 8 Cardinal Points that formed the basis of PWK's philosophy...which I subscribe to, along with the Bill of Rights and the Song of Solomon, and a few other things. Kama Sutra comes to mind... Dang, that has my mind wandering to the Twins. 'nuff said.

That's my story and I'm stickn' to it.

Dave

Second, there is a reason PWK named them "Heresy." They represent a compromise from his cardinal points for cost and size.

While I understand why PWK named them Heresy, I don't think it really fits. As long as a designer fully understands these points and deviates from them with good reason...size and cost being good reason...it's a good thing.

Jubs are also "Heresy" in the same way. They deviate both in terms of cost and size from the Klipschorn, and since they were from PWK himself, we can rest assured he did so for good reason. Jub owners are likely to agree.

Dave

I second all that. plus+++++++

I have lost count of the number of friends of mine who bought Heresy over the last 37 years after hearing my LaScala. They happily choose the babies of the Klipsch range.

Place Heresy into corners and they are superior to a very many speakers of considerably larger dimension.

My Dad had a stroke and to simplify things for Mum I removed my Marantz 1200B from their system and connected the Heresy to the speaker terminals on their TV @ 2 watts per channel. Along with the Blue Ray, I connected the CD, cassette deck, VCR directly to the TV and the Heresy make it all possible.

I'm a Jub Owner and agree :)

Here is a pic of a new 140db subwoofer during construction under a stage floor, that's in a system we finished last Thursday. While to some of my friends I'm a self confessed propeller head, I would have no reservation in having only a pair of any Heresy as my main system if that's what was most appropriate for my circumstances.

post-45280-1381986114366_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Dave

I second all that. plus+++++++

I have lost count of the number of friends of mine who bought Heresy over the last 37 years after hearing my LaScala. They happily choose the babies of the Klipsch range.

Place Heresy into corners and they are superior to a very many speakers of considerably larger dimension.

My Dad had a stroke and to simplify things for Mum I removed my Marantz 1200B from their system and connected the Heresy to the speaker terminals on their TV @ 2 watts per channel. Along with the Blue Ray, I connected the CD, cassette deck, VCR directly to the TV and the Heresy make it all possible.

I'm a Jub Owner and agree :)

Here is a pic of a new 140db subwoofer during construction under a stage floor, that's in a system we finished last Thursday. While to some of my friends I'm a self confessed propeller head, I would have no reservation in having only a pair of any Heresy as my main system if that's what was most appropriate for my circumstances.

Holy crap! The whole floor is a sub! Carl, are you seeing this??

Yeah, I have seen it. Pretty crazy stuff. Never thought of a built up floor in a high ceiling room to be used as a sub. In the case of the previous poster, it was a stage. Pretty clever. I wonder if I could turn my THT into a full horn using that method. Talk about gain! I would need 38' more horn length.

• Like 1