Are Heresy's always a compromise?

RF7X3M

Yeah, I have seen it. Pretty crazy stuff. Never thought of a built up floor in a high ceiling room to be used as a sub. In the case of the previous poster, it was a stage. Pretty clever. I wonder if I could turn my THT into a full horn using that method. Talk about gain! I would need 38' more horn length.

Your THT is a full Horn here is a set of three THT LP I modified a bit as a under floor experiment.

post-45280-1381986125507_thumb.jpg

First "compromise" is NOT a value judgment. It's a choice.

Second, there is a reason PWK named them "Heresy." They represent a compromise from his cardinal points for cost and size.

While I understand why PWK named them Heresy, I don't think it really fits. As long as a designer fully understands these points and deviates from them with good reason...size and cost being good reason...it's a good thing.

Jubs are also "Heresy" in the same way. They deviate both in terms of cost and size from the Klipschorn, and since they were from PWK himself, we can rest assured he did so for good reason. Jub owners are likely to agree.

Dave

I second all that. plus+++++++

I have lost count of the number of friends of mine who bought Heresy over the last 37 years after hearing my LaScala. They happily choose the babies of the Klipsch range.

Place Heresy into corners and they are superior to a very many speakers of considerably larger dimension.

My Dad had a stroke and to simplify things for Mum I removed my Marantz 1200B from their system and connected the Heresy to the speaker terminals on their TV @ 2 watts per channel. Along with the Blue Ray, I connected the CD, cassette deck, VCR directly to the TV and the Heresy make it all possible.

I'm a Jub Owner and agree :)

Here is a pic of a new 140db subwoofer during construction under a stage floor, that's in a system we finished last Thursday. While to some of my friends I'm a self confessed propeller head, I would have no reservation in having only a pair of any Heresy as my main system if that's what was most appropriate for my circumstances.

Holy crap! The whole floor is a sub! Carl, are you seeing this??

This is inside the driver chamber which is a set of three 18" 800watt drivers on a triangular prism manifold which you can see in the other photo. The horn flare is 7m long with a 7m wide mouth.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I have seen it. Pretty crazy stuff. Never thought of a built up floor in a high ceiling room to be used as a sub. In the case of the previous poster, it was a stage. Pretty clever. I wonder if I could turn my THT into a full horn using that method. Talk about gain! I would need 38' more horn length.

Your THT is a full Horn here is a set of three THT LP I modified a bit as a under floor experiment.

No. It's a quarter horn.

To get back to the original question: IMO they are a compromise insofar as the short mid-horn tends to make them sound more sharp than their bigger heritage brethren.....even with tubes. I honestly tried to 'love' them for quite a while, but whenever I went to my main listening room with Khorns the difference became quite aparent - so eventually they found a new home.

Cheers,

Wolfram

I agree that Heresy is not really a compromise, it is a choice. Most time, is an exercise in cost management or space management. They are fantastic compact speakers. If you have the room for Cornwalls, get those for sure. I've bought and sold a lot of Heritage speakers as I've upgraded along the way. I still have one of my sets of Heresy's though. On the topic of subs...I watch a lot of movies, so i'm all about subs.

The Heresy in no way is a compromise as long as it's the correct application and set up properly. Don't expect the Heresy to perform like a LaScala in a gymnasium however. I'm sure most already know these fundamentals but nobody has mentioned in this thread so if I may. Corner placement and proper toe in are very helpful even though the Heresy was created as a bridged center between the Klipschorn. Also, if not placed on the floor, lower end octave loss will occur. Again, corner placement will instantly improve output of just about any speaker.

First "compromise" is NOT a value judgment. It's a choice.

Second, there is a reason PWK named them "Heresy." They represent a compromise from his cardinal points for cost and size.

While I understand why PWK named them Heresy, I don't think it really fits. As long as a designer fully understands these points and deviates from them with good reason...size and cost being good reason...it's a good thing.

Jubs are also "Heresy" in the same way. They deviate both in terms of cost and size from the Klipschorn, and since they were from PWK himself, we can rest assured he did so for good reason. Jub owners are likely to agree.

Dave

I second all that. plus+++++++

I have lost count of the number of friends of mine who bought Heresy over the last 37 years after hearing my LaScala. They happily choose the babies of the Klipsch range.

Place Heresy into corners and they are superior to a very many speakers of considerably larger dimension.

My Dad had a stroke and to simplify things for Mum I removed my Marantz 1200B from their system and connected the Heresy to the speaker terminals on their TV @ 2 watts per channel. Along with the Blue Ray, I connected the CD, cassette deck, VCR directly to the TV and the Heresy make it all possible.

I'm a Jub Owner and agree :)

Here is a pic of a new 140db subwoofer during construction under a stage floor, that's in a system we finished last Thursday. While to some of my friends I'm a self confessed propeller head, I would have no reservation in having only a pair of any Heresy as my main system if that's what was most appropriate for my circumstances.

Wow... So is the speaker in the black box and the floor is a horn? How much power does it take to hit 140db and at what frequency?

tia,

Ron