La Scala II measurements/plans

adobephoto

Hi everyone,

I recently picked up a pair of 1987 La Scala I speakers locally. They sound great but a few years ago they were in a flooded basement and the plywood is splitting pretty badly around the bottom and seperating probably beyond repair I would say. The woofers do not appear to have gotten wet at any point though. My uncle owns a high-end kitchen cabinet shop here and said we can rebuild the cabinets no problem. Ive found plenty of blueprints and measurements for the La scala I design but love the way the La scala II cabinets look. I am aware the La scala II cabinet is 1" thick vs 3/4" like my La scala I's are but my uncle said he can get 1" material in HDF or Birch ply and veneer it. Does anyone here have a set of plans for the La scala II cabinet or know the measurements of the two seperate top and bottom cabinets of the La scala II? It would be much appreicated. Also im reading the crossovers are different but would like to upgrade these older crossovers anyhow so was gonna try to either order a pair of La scala II crossovers from klipsch or buy some aftermarket ones that would suit the new cabinets. Thanks for any input. I love the speakers but cant wait to have them not just sounding good but looking good too.

Here is a zip file with a lot of what you may need. I designed a LS with double bass bins. I haven't built one yet, buy thought it would be cool, as it would hit hard, and get the top-horns up to ear level to make them more effective as well. These files are indeed for a LS1, but there is a file with a 1" bass bin, which is all you really need, as the top hat simply needs to be as wide as the bin. That was the tough part. the internal volume and angles are identical to an LS1 but using 1" thick MDF.

lascalaplans2.zip

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question as to the splitter dimensions in the LaScala or (Belle) loudspeakers.

I have a 1975 Factory built LaScala and the splitter is not that small. I can look into mine with a mirror and it is about 1 1/2 inch tall, and wider than the 3 inch slot. Perhaps 4 to 5 inches.

Have there been changes to these dimensions thru the years? chris

attachicon.gifsplitter.png

My 1978 LaScala is a one piece cabinet... You have a 2 piece cabinet? I thought that was something that was on the newer LaScalas.

I have a question as to the splitter dimensions in the LaScala or (Belle) loudspeakers.

I have a 1975 Factory built LaScala and the splitter is not that small. I can look into mine with a mirror and it is about 1 1/2 inch tall, and wider than the 3 inch slot. Perhaps 4 to 5 inches.

Have there been changes to these dimensions thru the years? chris

attachicon.gifsplitter.png

The splitter is designed to have two faces at a 45 degree angle to the back. The drawing I have it is 2 1/4 inches wide. That would make it 1 1/8 inches tall. If it was 6 inches wide it would have to be 3 inches tall to make the 45 degree angle.

My 1980 LS that I have looks like they ripped a 2x2. to get the splitter. Way tiny. I don't know on my '89s, as I haven't opened up the top to be able to check accurately..

Bruce

post-5045-0-87080000-1383008807_thumb.jp

Edited by Marvel

Well I got 1980 LaScalas and the splitter is not that big. How do you measure it without taking woofer out. I have re- veneered mine but I did not measure the splitter but I know it is small.

I also think...not sure...the only thing they made 1 inch thick is the cab itself not the dog house so should be easy to make that. Maybe someone with a Sala II will chime in. Rick

The "ramps" are sometimes called "chevrons", because they sort of look like chevrons. The splitter in the 2007 LS2s that I have is a bit different in size from the splitter in the 1974 La Scalas, which may also be different from the ones in later La Scalas.

The LS2 cabinets are not just thicker, at one inch, they're made of MDF instead of plywood. The Klipsch engineers made at least two prototypes, one in plywood and one in MDF, and the MDF one sounded better, so that's what they went with for the production models.

The doghouse is a bit different from the one in the original La Scalas, since it has no step after the straight section, just a smooth joint. The whole cabinet is a bit deeper, at 25-1/4", so the point of the doghouse is a bit more recessed from the front edge of the bass bin.

You might want to check and see if the AL-5 crossover that the LS2 uses is available. It's different from earlier crossovers, and its schematic is not available, since it's a current production item.

Edited by Islander