Tube art . . what lies beneath

mustang guy

These tube amplifiers were painstakingly built. The wiring is uniform and perfect. They are as beautiful on the inside as they likely sound on the outside. The builders could be considered anal retentive, but in reality they are as beautiful and artful on the inside as their creations. I am happy to share these pictures of many beautiful amps with colorful and consistent capacitors, twisted wiring, parallel runs, and in some cases even the unused wires are artfully scrolled around.

As beautiful on the inside as the sound they create. here are some wonderful tube amps: 

EDIT: The first two images disappeared from the internet so I found a couple cool pics elsewhere. The second 2 pics are from the OP.

dsc_8569_s.jpg

1_boulder_3060_lato.jpg

IMG_0126.JPG

complete.jpg

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 2

I know this work! I believe from Israel if my memory serves correctly. I was so impressed with their workmanship I sent them email tell them I've seen and worked on the inside of many amplifiers, and that his lead dress was among the best I've seen. What was refreshing about his reply, and a nice change, was that he was humble and quiet, without the slightest need to boast or show-off. Thanks for sharing! Are you the owner, Canyon Man?

....one personal caveat: I prefer aluminum power resistors to be installed as designed, against the chassis for heat sinking, which these may be fine without. Beautiful work

I know guys who use those when the dissipation is a fraction of their rating, preferring free air circulation around the entire resistor body. Obvioiusly, under those conditions there's no need for heat sinking. When using them myself, I usually drill a series of holes through the chassis parallel, and adjacent to, the long axis of the resistor to provide some local cooling as well as the heat sinking. Guess we all have our preferred methods! Hope all is well with you Erik! Regards--- Maynard

....one personal caveat: I prefer aluminum power resistors to be installed as designed, against the chassis for heat sinking, which these may be fine without. Beautiful work

I know guys who use those when the dissipation is a fraction of their rating, preferring free air circulation around the entire resistor body. Obvioiusly, under those conditions there's no need for heat sinking. When using them myself, I usually drill a series of holes through the chassis parallel, and adjacent to, the long axis of the resistor to provide some local cooling as well as the heat sinking. Guess we all have our preferred methods! Hope all is well with you Erik! Regards--- Maynard

Darn we agree on something....write down the date a record it in. Klipsch forum history!

Sure -- I have done the same thing. My bias (no pun intended or implied) for the chassis mount derives from amps I've worked on where the body of resistor isn't adequately supported, and the thing is clacking around the underside with every little movement. The last I used them was for cathode bias in an organ amp rebuild, and wanted to elevate them in order to facilitate the running of leads underneath. What I did, which allowed for both 360 degree air flow (though I didn't measure the actual temp.??) and spacing for the other leads, is mount them on metal standoffs. But absolutely good point about improved airflow -- as well as in cases where they're hardly passing any current (in which case I personally would choose a less robust resistor). It's always nice when there is some agreement! Craig and I have agreed three times ...maybe four in the past twelve years or so, and that always left a smile on my face for days! ?? Saloon days of the Old West! LOL (my dear niece put these....what are they called...emoticons or emojis, I think) on the computer...kinda cute little fellas. Niece and nephew both LOVED listening with good headphones! She put the Grados on and said (in that common, way-too-loud headphone voice, "OMG, I've never heard anything sound so good!)

• 3 weeks later...

mustang guy

beautiful, indeed!

have you got a link to the amps?

Nope. I was looking at tube amps and ran across a nice looking wiring job, and it got me started looking for more. I posted pictures of what I felt were the best looking ones. I suppose it would have been nice to do a little research and mention the artist/builder, etc.

• 5 months later...

This amp was a custom build by a true artist. I am breaking the rules of the thread a bit because it is not what is beneath this amp that makes it special. It is the artistry and care of the external build. The guts of this 6V6 amp came from a Magnavox console. He COMPLETELY customized it. I don't know how much time he has involved, but it was a lot. A true beauty. The amp is for sale "Magnavox Tube Stereo HiFi Amplifier Amp 175-FF Push-Pull 6V6 Customized!" The other image is of an un-customized 175 amp.

post-47699-0-29800000-1396674421_thumb.j

post-47699-0-97360000-1396674652_thumb.j

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

These tube amplifiers were painstakingly built. The wiring is uniform and perfect. They are as beautiful on the inside as they likely sound on the outside. The builders could be considered anal retentive, but in reality they are as beautiful and artful on the inside as their creations. I am happy to share these pictures of many beautiful amps with colorful and consistent capacitors, twisted wiring, parallel runs, and in some cases even the unused wires are artfully scrolled around.

As beautiful on the inside as the sound they create. here are some wonderful tube amps:

300B%20SE%20Tube%20Amp.JPG?m=1355075689

2A3%20SE%20MkII%20Tube%20Amp.jpg?m=13709

IMG_0126.JPG

complete.jpg

Humm, twisted trans leads with shrink around them, I like that.