Youthman's 2ch Setup Just Received a Sweet Upgrade!

Youthman

Do you run yours between your pre and amp (i do)? Or do you use the tape in and out? I run it between the pre and amp so it can be used with movies,tv, and music.

I run mine the same way, so it is in use with every source. I like mine showing in my living room rack, I like the dancing red lights. I would not turn them on in my theater room but I like them in my two channel setup.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always heard that amps can sound different.

There are a lot of people who claim "all amps sound the same" and the same is said about many other things like DAC's etc. It isn't just cables many people don't think can change sound.

I'm not sure if I am one of the lucky ones because so many things can make improvements to my system or one of the unlucky one's because for some people all systems sound absolutely awesome and can't possibly even be improved upon. [:P]

I forgot to ask, those using an EQ, what do you use?

I use one of these, it works wonders!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/audio-control-c-101series-3-equalizer-with-real-time-audio-spectrom-analizer-/261300749471?pt=US_Stereo_Receivers&hash=item3cd6bd049f

What has happened to these forums? I can't find the option of using "bold" text or the option of adding links anymore. Very strange...

I'll second the C-101 III, I've been using one for years and it is a very good Full Octive EQ, RealTimeAnalizer. [<:o)]

BTW, that is a decent price for a $1000 eq, I paid $100 for mine, although it was NewInBox.

Congratulations Youth, those "7's" look great in your room. [Y]

Dennie

I've always heard that amps can sound different.

There are a lot of people who claim "all amps sound the same" and the same is said about many other things like DAC's etc. It isn't just cables many people don't think can change sound.

I'm not sure if I am one of the lucky ones because so many things can make improvements to my system or one of the unlucky one's because for some people all systems sound absolutely awesome and can't possibly even be improved upon. Stick out tongue

+1 Everything matters but some things jump out at you and somethings take a trained ear to hear. A guitar player can hear his guitar being just a tiny bit out of tune. But for most other people it will sound no different after he tweaks it a tiny bit back in tune. You know your system and how it sounds so when anything gets changed you hear the change no matter how small because your ears are training to how your system sounds. (just like a guitar player hearing his guitar being just a tiny bit off). Thats why to me hearing ten different amps for the very first time, in a room they have never been in, played on speakers they have never heard, with an avr/pre they have never used, would make it much much harder to pic out the small differences in amps. Just to much new stuff going on to have a trained ear. So if you put 100 guys in a room and 95 cant tell what guitars are in and out of tune. Does that really mean that guitars sound just as good out of tune just because science says that when 95 out of a 100 cant tell it becomes fact lol.

Try a pair of Palladiums.

Youthman is too cheap for Palladiums. Stick out tongue

I even whisper that amps sound

different and I get jumped on by people here and people over on Avs

telling me it's all in my head

I've always heard that amps can sound different. I do think you probably hear voices sometimes though. Haha

I can't find the option of using "bold" text or the option of adding links anymore. Very strange...

Yeah, for some reason the BOLD and Links don't work. Stick out tongue

My guess is you are either using an apple product or Chrome. Those

options don't work with those platforms. The new forums should fix

that.

Not as much of it on this forum but over on avs its almost like a law that all amps sound the same. Because apparently science proved it. (i still have no idea what that means)

that.

And the penny drops... yes I have been using Chrome and was wondering what happened. I guess I'll use IE for this forum until they make the changes.

I even whisper that amps sound

different and I get jumped on by people here and people over on Avs

telling me it's all in my head

I've always heard that amps can sound different. I do think you probably hear voices sometimes though. Haha

I can't find the option of using "bold" text or the option of adding links anymore. Very strange...

Yeah, for some reason the BOLD and Links don't work. Stick out tongue

that.

Not as much of it on this forum but over on avs its almost like a law that all amps sound the same. Because apparently science proved it. (i still have no idea what that means)

ive attended one of these avs meets. To prove something would be to play a test tone to match levels exactly with two different amps. Then when you swap back and forth between them play full frequency sweeps and measure with a calibrated microphone. I know for a fact the an xpa-3 measures EXACTLY the same as an onkyo 1007, inuke 3000dsp, and I think the other amp was a crown 1500 something. The avs guys can be super tools at times but the few around here only try to prove things right or wrong to get the absolute best from your system. In other words if you had an xpa-3 then spent more money on a higher end amp but when calibrated they measure exactly the same why would you want this higher priced amp? Some will believe that and say ok others will say YMMV or I hear what I hear but a calibrated mic hears everything the same. And if amps measure the same why would they sound any different?

my 7's sing on the 125 watts they eat up but its coming from the outlaw power amp. Its actually quite surprising how loud they get on that power and i havent had them peter out, my ears did instead.

Sure they are very efficient speakers they will get loud very easily.

But it's different between getting loud and playing all the way down to their lowest frequency capabilities with the power and hard punch authority they're capable of. That's where more amp power is really needed.

My speakers have never not gotten loud enough for me, but the more amp power I have given them the bigger the smile they have put on my face. [:)]

No you're not. Sell the 4 pair of speakers that you have side by side and you will have enough cash for a second hand pair of P37's or P38s. No need to break the bank on the P39's if you do not want to spend that much.

The speakers just below the top of the line with a good subwoofer will almost always do the job. Think of LaScalas with a good sub vs K Horns.

• Moderators

No you're not. Sell the 4 pair of speakers that you have side by side and you will have enough cash for a second hand pair of P37's or P38s.

If I sold the B&W's and RF-7's, I would have $1600 at the most. Can you get P-37F or P-38F for that price?

my 7's sing on the 125 watts they eat up but its coming from the outlaw power amp. Its actually quite surprising how loud they get on that power and i havent had them peter out, my ears did instead.

Hint.....Power is not what they are eating.....

They sound different because they do. People who make
these blanket statements dont have a system that can resolve those
differences. Period.

Shakey

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sonic Euphoria preamp, VTL
ST-150, Well Tempered Amadeus TT, Benz Micro L2, K&K phono stage, SB
Touch, MHDT Havana DAC, PS Audio Power Plant Premiere, Klipsch Cornwall
II

Ah I see another Havana in the crowd. [:)]

• Moderators

Aren't there some other speakers. KLF30's and something else not in use?

No, I no longer have the KLF-30's. I bought them so I could hear them in my own setup. They sounded great and had TONS of slam but they would have never made it into the living room due to their size and they had some descent cosmetic issues.

They sound different because they do. People who make these blanket statements dont have a system that can resolve those differences. Period. Shakey
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sonic Euphoria preamp, VTL ST-150, Well Tempered Amadeus TT, Benz Micro L2, K&K phono stage, SB Touch, MHDT Havana DAC, PS Audio Power Plant Premiere, Klipsch Cornwall II

Ah I see another Havana in the crowd. Smile

Yes, the Havana is an excellent DAC, don't you think?

Shakey