Eminence Beta 8-CX 8 Inch Coaxial Driver

BEC

OK, if anyone wants to experiment with this little coaxial driver, you can build a box with internal dimensions of 16 1/4 in. wide, 10 in. deep and 9 in. high.

The port is 2 inches diameter and 2 1/4 inches deep. I just used two more pieces of 3/4 inch plywood to complete the port.

post-9312-1381986124135_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

They sound pretty good for small speakers. Bass is not much as you would expect. However, something that surprised me, is that the bass is there down to about 40hz. It rolls off below about 150hz, but is still present, just about 5 to 7 db down all the way down to 40hz. So, a little bass boost below 150hz does something amazing to the sound of these.

If you are one of those who like to see FR curves, here is the on axis FR on this speaker without the above mentioned bass boost.

post-9312-138198612545_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Bob, do you recommend removing the dust cap once the horn driver is installed?

No, I would not remove it. I had a driver with a damaged cone, so cut out the dust cap to see what the horn looked like.

By the way, the dust cap is fabric. I am guessing it is acoustically transparent.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...