Opinions On Pioneer Elite Sc-71 Receiver

jordan122345

User Snoman here on the forum uses the Sherwood R-972 and really likes it. For $500 on accessories4less.com, I've considered giving it a shot. It's got full pre-outs and the room correction software gets great reviews. I'm also considering the Anthem series, because their ARC is stellar. Just throwing some more options to muddy the waters.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/SHERR972/SHERWOOD-R-972-Newcastle-7.1-A/V-Surround-Receiver-TrueHD-DTS-HD/1.html

dewthedru - go with DIY for the subs. I built one 18" sealed and it was amazing. 2 or 4 would even be more awesome.

• Like 1

i'm also looking at either the Denon AVR X4000 or the Pioneer Elite SC-63. I'm worried about the complexity of setting the Pioneer unit up. From the reviews on Amazon, it looks like the Denon may be more user friendly for a relative nOOb like me.

For reference, I'm currently running a 7.1 system with a HK AVR 630 powering a RC-35, a set of RF-35's, and 4 RS-35's. My sub is a HSU STF-3.

I'm really considering building a couple of subs using Scrappydue's thread to guide me: http://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/145539-build-thread-4-stereo-integrity-18s/

Thoughts?

i think four of my subs will chatter your teeth out of your face! Lol

But no I am exactly where I wanted to be sub wise. No further desire to upgrade them.

I ended up splurging and going all out, it was choice of the Elite SC-75 but once at the store almost ready to pay for it I learnt they had a brand new in sealed box Elite SC0-67 which I got instead, it saved me some cash. I am debating if I want to keep it, it is THX Ultra 2 certified with Air play certification as well , however it does not have the new 32 bit DACs the 7x series come with. But true sacd and audio dvd should sound pretty incredible and it is a beast of a receiver as is. More than I initially set out to buy.

The SC-61 / SC-71 are really nice receivers in their own. Step up to the 67+ or 75+ and just get quite a bit more in them but at a premium

I ended up splurging and going all out, it was choice of the Elite SC-75 but once at the store almost ready to pay for it I learnt they had a brand new in sealed box Elite SC0-67 which I got instead, it saved me some cash. I am debating if I want to keep it, it is THX Ultra 2 certified with Air play certification as well , however it does not have the new 32 bit DACs the 7x series come with. But true sacd and audio dvd should sound pretty incredible and it is a beast of a receiver as is. More than I initially set out to buy. The SC-61 / SC-71 are really nice receivers in their own. Step up to the 67+ or 75+ and just get quite a bit more in them but at a premium

Congratulations on your new Elite AVR. What digital sources(CD, DVD, BD, SACD) are you using with this receiver?

According to the Pioneer website, the SC-67 does have 192kHz/32-bit DACs.

Digital Core DSP Engine TI Aureus x 2 Air Studios Certification Yes THX™ Certification Select 2 Plus iPod Digital Audio compare_yes.gif 192K/24-Bit DACs 192kHz/32-Bit Dolby True HD compare_yes.gif Dolby Digital plus compare_yes.gif Dolby Pro-Logic IIz compare_yes.gif DTS-HD Master Audio compare_yes.gif DTS Neo:X Yes

If you don't mind, what did you pay for your SC-67?

Bill

Edited by willland

Bill, are you thinking of coming over to the Dark Side, lol.

No, no, no. My NAD T175HD pre/pro is awesome for music and HT.

My inquiry about the price is because it looks like on the Pioneer website they have the SC-67 for sale for more than half off with free shipping.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Shop/Specials/Home+specials/SC-67+REFURBISHED

SC-67 REFURBISHED 9.2-Channel Network Ready AV Receiver

Suggested Price: $2,000.00 LIMITED QUANTITIES - BUY NOW! $960.00

FREE SHIPPING!

SC-67_htc_reg.jpg

My inquiry about the price is because it looks like on the Pioneer website they have the SC-67 for sale for more than half off with free shipping.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Shop/Specials/Home+specials/SC-67+REFURBISHED

FREE SHIPPING!

SC-67_htc_reg.jpg

very tempting….

I ended up splurging and going all out, it was choice of the Elite SC-75 but once at the store almost ready to pay for it I learnt they had a brand new in sealed box Elite SC0-67 which I got instead, it saved me some cash. I am debating if I want to keep it, it is THX Ultra 2 certified with Air play certification as well , however it does not have the new 32 bit DACs the 7x series come with. But true sacd and audio dvd should sound pretty incredible and it is a beast of a receiver as is. More than I initially set out to buy. The SC-61 / SC-71 are really nice receivers in their own. Step up to the 67+ or 75+ and just get quite a bit more in them but at a premium

Congratulations on your new Elite AVR. What digital sources(CD, DVD, BD, SACD) are you using with this receiver?

According to the Pioneer website, the SC-67 does have 192kHz/32-bit DACs.

Digital Core DSP Engine TI Aureus x 2 Air Studios Certification Yes THX™ Certification Select 2 Plus iPod Digital Audio compare_yes.gif 192K/24-Bit DACs 192kHz/32-Bit Dolby True HD compare_yes.gif Dolby Digital plus compare_yes.gif Dolby Pro-Logic IIz compare_yes.gif DTS-HD Master Audio compare_yes.gif DTS Neo:X Yes

If you don't mind, what did you pay for your SC-67?

Bill

I went with a new Pioneer Elit BDP-62FD for sacd and BD and also ability to play lossless. I paid $1100 for my SC-67 new in Canada, 3 yr warranty. I was offered the SC-75 at $200 more taxes on top of both pries, the reason I stayed SC-67, phono input as I plan to buy a Dual turntable and also I wanted the THX Ultra 2. The SC-75 had the new Sabre Dacs but gave up the phono input and THX Ultra 2, so to get that I needed to move to SC-77 or higher which was out of budget

Edited by cisco kid

FREE SHIPPING!

SC-67_htc_reg.jpg

very tempting….

Pioneer does not have them in stock, if you look at whats listed there needs to be the "Buy" symbol next to the item. I contacted Pioneer and they said the odds of seeing these again is very slim. Also your warranty is 90 Days only from Pioneer Elite when buying from their outlet. For $140 more (plus taxes) I bought new with 3 yr warranty

Edited by cisco kid

If you go to best buy and have them look up a pioneer elite 67, they can get one from another store for around $999 with 2 yr warranty, they might want you to get geek squad. Talk to a manager because the ppl selling TV's probably don't know they can get one from another store and have it shipped to their store but its all up to the manager to bring it in. I was going to get one, but I figured I'm in no big hurry so I'll wait till the sc 77 or 79 goes on clearance.

Edited by sully141

• 6 years later...

Ressurection of an old post. Can anyone lend some feedback.

8 years after buying my SC-67 I now require ability to play Dolby Atmos and pass 2160p 4K 60hz through the SC67 but that is not an option due to HDMI 1.4 and HDCP 2.0 ability since now going on 8 yrs old. I have given thouoght to purchasing an HD Fury Vertex  or a new Atmos capable receiver the RX-A780 Aventage but I question whether the SC-67 w its quality is still worth keeping and adding the Fury product which will allow Atmos and 4K pass through at 60

• 3 years later...