Complete Rf-7ii System Purchase (Best Deal Of My Life)

Youthman

• Moderators

First of all, grab a cup of coffee, a blanket and your reading glasses because this is quite long, but an exciting adventure that I wanted to share with my Klipsch friends.

Recently I met a lady with the intent to purchase a pair of original RB-81's for $208 (for me) and an original RC-64 for $433 (for my friend Wake Junkie). She also had a pair of RS-62ii but I wasn't really interested in them. Before going, she told me what she would accept for the three speakers and what she would take for all 5 speakers. I brought enough cash to purchase all 5 but only planned on buying the RB-81's and RC-64.

When I arrived, to my surprise, I quickly realized these aren't the original versions....they are Version II's! She explained she recently was divorced and she just wanted her ex-husband's speakers gone from her garage. Still in disbelief, before gladly handing her the money, I confirmed for the amount she said she would take, that I would be getting the RB-81ii's, RC-64ii and the RS-62ii's. When I mentioned the RS-62ii's, she said, "No those aren't included in the price I gave you. Those were expensive. I was talking about the Big Speakers". I didn't know she even had "Big Speakers" for sale.

She walks over to the big speakers and I ask what model they were and she says, "They say RF-7 on the sticker". I was about to flip out. So I walk over to examine the condition and I discover that they are not RF-7's but instead, RF-7ii's! I about hit the floor (yet Youthman remained complete composure). Not only did she have one pair of RF-7ii, she had two! And instead of one pair of RS-62ii, she had two pair!

As we were wrapping up, I noticed an Onkyo NR-808 receiver and asked if it was for sale. She said yes. I'm guessing it too is just "taking up space" so I figure, "what the heck" and asked, "If I pay your asking price, would you be willing to throw in the Onkyo Receiver". Without hesitation, she replied, "It was expensive but yes, you can have it". At the moment, I'm beside myself.

So I pay her the money and begin loading and when I pick up the Onkyo box, it is empty. She realizes the Onkyo is at her mother's house and sends her to get it. I only had a few minutes before I absolutely had to go (my wife didn't even know I was buying speakers and I told her I would meet her to go work out). So with only 10 minutes to get everything loaded, as I loaded the last speaker, her mom was not back yet. I had already explained I was on a tight schedule and MUST leave NO later than 3pm to give me enough time to get back to meet my wife. At 2:59pm, I knew I had to go and mom was nowhere in sight so I asked her if I could have one of the pair of RS-62ii instead of the Onkyo receiver and she said "Sure, that's fine."

At this point, I'm seriously ready to faint.

Before I left, she said she had another person coming to buy the rest of the speakers. I texted her several times that night to see if he had come and got no reply. I knew her neighborhood was having a huge community yard sale so I couldn't help but wonder if I would be able to purchase the rest of her RF-7ii system. I text her several times that night with no reply.

I went to bed at 12:30am but tossed and turned till 1am. I woke up at 3am and couldn't get back to sleep until 4am. Then I woke up at 5am and figured what the heck, I'll get ready and leave at 6:00am so I can be at the yard sale by 7:30am.

The drive was about 1.5hrs away so at 6:45am, I text her asking how much she would take for the RF-7ii's, RS-62ii and an RW-10d that she also had. I brought the same amount of cash I had the day before. I'm guessing as a result of my many texts, she looked up the value of the speakers again and realized she sold them for much less than she could have and replies with twice as much as what I paid for the 7 speakers the day before. Ouch! I don't have enough to buy them at that price. I ask how much for just the RF-7ii and RS-62ii...only a few hundred less. Still above my budget. How much for just the RF-7ii's? Still about $500 less than what I had.

I tell her I'm 10 minutes away and I would be willing to offer what I had with me for the RF-7ii's and the RS-62ii's. She says sorry. I told her I would be in the community until 8:00am since "the other guy" was supposed to come at 7:30am to buy the speakers. At 8am, I show up and the guy supposedly came by and wanted to buy them and was going to the bank but that was 1hr ago. I'm guessing either he isn't coming back or he never existed. She was not wanting to sell them for my asking price so I thanked her for considering my offer, wished her well on her yard sale and drove back home.

It was worth the risk even after driving 3hr round trip for nothing.

So late that night, I could not get it out of my head. Did she sell the speakers to "the other guy"? The yard sale is over and my guess is she has no prospects to buy the speakers. I text her back and say, "If they are still available, I would be willing to make one final trip and offered her another $100 from my original offer. To my surprise, she text me the next afternoon saying, she would accept my offer.

After my wife called 911 and the paramedics got a pulse back, I quickly went by the ATM and began my third 3hr round trip to pick up the remaining speakers. When I arrived, she, her daughter and I chatted awhile and they both were simply grateful that they finally had garage space once again. They wished me well with my new speakers and hoped I had a safe drive home.

After all was said and done, I made 3 trips (9hrs of driving) and spent $2000 on the entire set shown below. 

I share my story as an encouragement to all that there still are some AMAZING deals to be had if you are patient and have some cash on hand set aside for those deals. At no point did I try and manipulate or mislead her. I had a certain amount of cash available that I was willing to spend and made an offer. She had speakers that were of no value to her and was willing to exchange that for the cash I had to offer. Sometimes they accept your offer, sometimes they don't. I definitely did not "need" any more Klipsch speakers but the price was right and I was glad to purchase them all from her.

See how the RF-7ii compared to the RF-7 and RF-83 here.

Complete-Klipsch-RF-7-II-System-Sm.jpg

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Thanks ajoker.

Wake Junkie is pretty excited as well. He bought one pair of RF-7ii, my RC-7 that was in my son's bedroom (the newer RC-64ii will take it's place) and my RS-35's to replace his RF-3ii, RC-3ii and S1 speakers. His family is going on a cruise with our family in 3 weeks so he will be bringing them home from Florida to Alabama after the cruise. :)

FWIW, I did forget to mention that I hooked up the RF-7ii / RC-64ii and did some A/B comparison in the HT with one scene from Ironman3 and I didn't hear any noticable difference at all between the two systems.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Well dispite popular believe, my photos were not the reason in the delay of the new Klipsch Forums. LOL I host my images on my own server, then click the "Image" icon and paste the URL for my image.

The other method is to "attach" images. Looks like Chad has temporarily turned this feature off. I know he is still tweaking the forums. My guess is it will be back up shortly.

• Moderators

Actually, if you click on "More Reply Options" you will see the new option to "Attach" images. If you attach more than one, you will need to attach one image, then hit the upload button and repeat for the rest of the images.

Thanks ajoker.

Wake Junkie is pretty excited as well. He bought one pair of RF-7ii, my RC-7 that was in my son's bedroom (the newer RC-64ii will take it's place) and my RS-35's to replace his RF-3ii, RC-3ii and S1 speakers. His family is going on a cruise with our family in 3 weeks so he will be bringing them home from Florida to Alabama after the cruise. :)

Pretty Excited??? LOL! Understatement of the year right there my brother.

I keep forgetting that I am going to the Bahamas and keep thinking of the date I am going to get my new toys.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Dude, stop obsessing over the speakers. They really aren't that great anyways. :P

HA! Says the man with 4 flagship systems currently in his house...

Guess I am looking forward to my mediocre upgrade to RF-7ii's.

Well, when you put it that way....I think you will be thoroughly impressed with how BIG the sound will be from your RF-7ii's.

And the angel chorus sang! WOW - what a GREAT pic youth! Great story - nice find, it was fun to read!

That's an interesting note on your A/B comparison. I may have missed it - will you be keeping the 7ii's in your theater - in addition to? replacing the existing setup?

If nothing else after all of this - you have a KILLER avatar pic for good now!

Hey Wake - congrats to you too! Your already sweet room will have unrivaled sound to go with it! (I'd forget about the cruise date too!) :)

Hey Wake - congrats to you too! Your already sweet room will have unrivaled sound to go with it! (I'd forget about the cruise date too!) :)

Thanks for the complement Dave.

I can't wait to hear them. Going from RF-3ii's to S-2 Synergy bookshelf speakers for three weeks will probably make those new RF-7ii's sound that much sweeter.

Since Youthman's threads get more traffic than LAX I figured I would mention this here to solicit an answer.

I posted a question on my build thread if some of you guys with RF-7's or 7ii's could help me out. Concerned that my Denon AVR-791 can't handle the load.

Please answer on my thread so we don't jack Youthman's.

http://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/143424-ht-upgrade-wet-bar-at-screen-fireplace/page-11

Thanks!