RF-7 Vs Rf-7II Vs RF-83 Comparison

Youthman

Don't worry Michael, no play time until I get caught up, and I'm definitely itching to do yours. I've got the parts laid out on a board, and every time I walk by I move them around like chess pieces. The square shape of the capacitors has me a little concerned as to how to mount them so they don't shift once they start getting assaulted by your K-33s. I really don't want to glue them.

Cviper, capacitors and resistors are like any other kind of part. Some are better than others, and in this context, what I use sounds better than what's in there - the kind of speaker doesn't matter, almost all OEMs cut corners with the crossover parts.

With that said, we should take a peek at what's in there. I already have a pretty good idea, but confirmation would be nice. The crossover is mounted to the rear of the terminal cup. We might start by just removing the screws, gently pulling it out, and while holding it in your hand, take a picture.

I would probably only do the caps in series with the horn and some of the resistors. It's undoubtedly a little gritty right now, but you don't really notice it because you've probably never heard a loudspeaker without this quality. I know it sounds over the top ridiculous, but there it is.

I'll PM my phone number tomorrow - I'd like to talk about this, it's easier than typing it all out.

No review required, unless it sucks, then you have a responsibility to warn everyone off. :)

BTW, I'm not really being all that nice. It's a good deal for me too - having an opportunity to do a pair of these allows me to see what's in there, where and how I need to apply the improvements, and allows me to develop a cost estimate - all things I need to offer this service to others.

Cviper, capacitors and resistors are like any other kind of part. Some are better than others, and in this context, what I use sounds better than what's in there - the kind of speaker doesn't matter, almost all OEMs cut corners with the crossover parts.

So basically this new mod for the RF-7 II's will do what your mod did for the original 7's? And could this new mod be extended to the RC-64 II's if needed?

Edited by cviper

So basically this new mod for the RF-7 II's will do what your mod did for the original 7's? And could this new mod be extended to the RC-64 II's if needed?

I believe the original RF-7 mod changed the crossover point slightly. There shouldn't be the need to do that with the 7II's.

I believe the original RF-7 mod changed the crossover point slightly. There shouldn't be the need to do that with the 7II's.

So there wouldn't be any improvement for the 7 II's if Dean does this new mod?

A modification changes the circuit. An "upgrade" improves the quality of the parts in the circuit. With the original RF-7, I do both.

Why would I offer to do something that would't bring an improvement? I really like money, but not at the expense of tossing my integrity. Well, what's left of it. :)

• Moderators

Hi Dean, it was a pleasure speaking with you tonight. To keep from totally derailing this thread, I'm starting a new thread in the HT section called "DeanG RF-7ii (From Start to Finish)". I just emailed you an invite to a Dropbox where I am uploading all of the high res pics of the RF-7ii Crossover to.

I have four sets of Heritage crossovers to build before I can really do anything else -- those guys have been insanely patient with me. The Heritage builds are pretty time consuming, plus I work a normal full time job. I usually start a build on Monday, and by the weekend I'm ready for the heavy lifting so I can ship on Monday, when it starts all over again. I'm a good month away from getting to anything else.

I will PM the RF-7/RC-7 quote tomorrow along with some other info.

Some Reference work from you guys would be a nice change.

You guys want to watch me build Michael's Type B2 Jupiter build? I'll probably start a thread in the technical section just to annoy those who think spending anything more than $5 on a capacitor is a waste of money. :)

Bill, I wonder how a "supercharged" rf-63 would sound? How much more magical could this speaker get?

You know, it has been in the back of my a mind maybe once or twice but not seriously. I have fed the 63's with quality source electronics(Cambridge Audio 840C, Integra DPS-10.5) but never a "quality" stereo preamp. My NAD T175HD does a bang up job with 2-channel for a pre/pro but I have always wondered how good the 63's would sound with high quality dedicated 2-channel passive preamp. Maybe I will give that a try before any "super charging" takes place.

Bill

You guys want to watch me build Michael's Type B2 Jupiter build? I'll probably start a thread in the technical section just to annoy those who think spending anything more than $5 on a capacitor is a waste of money. :)

YEAH BABY, YEAH!

Bill, I wonder how a "supercharged" rf-63 would sound? How much more magical could this speaker get?

You know, it has been in the back of my a mind maybe once or twice but not seriously. I have fed the 63's with quality source electronics(Cambridge Audio 840C, Integra DPS-10.5) but never a "quality" stereo preamp. My NAD T175HD does a bang up job with 2-channel for a pre/pro but I have always wondered how good the 63's would sound with high quality dedicated 2-channel passive preamp. Maybe I will give that a try before any "super charging" takes place.

Bill

supercharge a 63... wouldn't you just buy a 7ii?