RF-7 Vs Rf-7II Vs RF-83 Comparison

Youthman

Bill, I wonder how a "supercharged" rf-63 would sound? How much more magical could this speaker get?

You know, it has been in the back of my a mind maybe once or twice but not seriously. I have fed the 63's with quality source electronics(Cambridge Audio 840C, Integra DPS-10.5) but never a "quality" stereo preamp. My NAD T175HD does a bang up job with 2-channel for a pre/pro but I have always wondered how good the 63's would sound with high quality dedicated 2-channel passive preamp. Maybe I will give that a try before any "super charging" takes place.

Bill

supercharge a 63... wouldn't you just buy a 7ii?

From I've read online, and from those on the Forum who own them, Bill, and Youth the RF-83/63's have their own sound that differentiate themselves from the rest of the Reference lineup. I believe it was the term "Silky smooth" that Youth used for the 83's compared to the 7's and 7 II's. I know the original 7's were criticized for their highs being kind of rough to listen to, and as a result Klipsch went down the route of the 83/63's for the next flagship speaker.

So to sum up, aside from obvious pricing reasons, I don't think a 63 to a 7 II would be the supercharge Scrappy is talking about.

supercharge a 63... wouldn't you just buy a 7ii?

My 63's are paid for. :D Even though Dean's mods don't come "cheap"(very reasonably priced for benefits), I know the $$$ spent will be no where near the price of a pair of RF-7II's, new or used.

Bill

So to sum up, aside from obvious pricing reasons, I don't think a 63 to a 7 II would be the supercharge Scrappy is talking about.

For HT, the RF-7II's clearly have more ooooomph and presence and are most likely an upgrade, but for music, as Reference speakers go, the 63's are hard to beat.

Bill

Edited by willland

Really pumped about this process. I heard Youth's 7ii's and would love to hear if they can get better. I'm sure that almost ANYTHING can be improved on but I can't imagine it making a large difference since the speaker is awesome as it is. I would be TERRIFIED to mod my 83's for fear that it would change anything.

Guess I'm just stuck in my small little world of bliss......

Ron

• Moderators

Ron, as Dean shared with me, he will not be modding the Rf7ii since we are not changing any values, he is simply upgrading the quality of the components that are used on the board. It's like upgrading spark plugs in your car to achieve better performance.

With upgrading to higher quality parts, what improvement in sound will that yield? Overall smoothness maybe?

It's almost like moving up to the next speaker in a line. Just a better sound. For me , voices were a little clearer, instruments were a little cleaner and they sounded better when you cranked them.

Well, if the speaker up the line uses the same parts as the speaker below it, then it will suffer the same issues.

I think the stock stuff has an etched out, grainy and closed in quality to it. On some material, the music is painful to listen to.

A crossover is a filter. Everything from the amp hits the filter before it goes to the drivers. Does water taste better before or after it's purified? How does one go about describing the difference in taste using words?

I don't like making comparisons using other components, because like I said, it's brings something completely different to the table. For example, no amp or DAC or whatever -- is going to sound like what an upgraded crossover does.

How do the words help? They give some general idea, but that's all. If I were to try and describe the difference in taste between some generic vanilla ice cream and something like Graters, I don't think I could do it, and even if I could -- no words could convey the experience.

Some here might remember back when I was trying different amplifiers and preamps. Over the course of two years, I went through a lot of gear. Why, because I got tired of reading the desciptions and explanations, and decided the only way to know was through experience.

I believe the full potential of any piece of downstream gear will not be realized until you get the crap caps and resistors out of the filter.

Well, if the speaker up the line uses the same parts as the speaker below it, then it will suffer the same issues.

My point was that every time you move up the line in a speakers hierarchy, there's an improvement in sound. To me the crossover upgrade a similar improvement.