RF-7 Vs Rf-7II Vs RF-83 Comparison

Youthman

• 3 years later...
On 10/23/2013 at 12:39 AM, Youthman said:

I recently had the opportunity to purchase an entire Klipsch RF-7ii System (read about it here). After bringing home the new speakers, I knew I had to bring the RF family together to see how they compared in a 2ch configuration.

I brought the RF-83's from the HT into the living room and also the RF-7ii's. As with every purchase, I took several photos before I even hooked them up to listen (strange I know but I really love photographing Klipsch speakers).

After getting them setup, I demoed many CD's and Concert DVD's and here is what I concluded.

RF-7 - Brightest and most detailed sounding of the three. Very "forward" sound.

RF-83 - Most laid back sound of the three. Very soft, silky sound. Very soothing and beautiful.

RF-7ii - Not as bright as the RF-7's but not near as laid back as the RF-83's.

I loved the sound of all three for 2ch. All three had a great amount of bass, midrange was delightful and the highs were full of clarity and detail.

I've never claimed to have a "critical ear" nor have I ever claimed to be anything near an "audiophile". This is just what my simple ears heard.

Honestly, I would be VERY happy with any of these three speakers in my living room and if the wife would let me, I would have loved to keep all three pair in the living room. But since I already have the RF-7's in my son's bedroom and the RF-83's in the HT, I decided to sell my newly purchased Cherry RF-7's and keep the newly purchased RF-7ii's for the 2ch living room.

The RF-7ii's are absolutely beautiful. I love the copper color of the woofers moreso than the gold color on the RF-83's. The front wood veneer looks very classy and even the 2/3 speaker grill is starting to grow on me. I even like the feet (which I originally did not like from the photos I saw online).

Klipsch-RF-7ii-RF-7-RF-83-Showdown-1.jpg

Klipsch-RF-7ii-RF-7-RF-83-Showdown-2.jpg

Klipsch-RF-7ii-RF-7-RF-83-Showdown-3.jpg

Klipsch-RF-7ii-RF-7-RF-83-Showdown-4.jpg

Klipsch-RF-7ii-RF-7-RF-83-Showdown-5.jpg

Hey Youthman, I have an RF-83 question.  You stated the sound of the RF-83s is more relaxed, soothing and beautiful sound of the 3, why would you not use it for the 2 channel system and send the RF-7ii to the HT system?? Did other factors come into play, aesthetics, the all important WAF, your HT benefits from specifically the RF-83s, etc...??? Wouldn't the HT system benefit more having the RF-7 II characteristics??

Thank you

• Moderators

@Carlosrs, originally I had RF-83 with RC64 in the theater room, then bought RF7II and used them for my 2ch setup.  Not sure how long I had the RF83 with the RF7 II before buying the LaScala Trio and selling the RF-83.  Honestly, I don't think there was any particular reason the RF7 II ended up in the living room with the RF83 in the theater room other than I'm a creature of habit and the RF83 had already made themselves very comfortable in my theater room.  LOL  Both sound fantastic for movies and for 2ch...the RF83 is just more laid back. 

• Like 1