LaScala problem

NBPK402

I just picked up a pair of 1978 vintage LaScalas a few days ago... They sounded good but I was told due to the age I should buy new caps. So I ordered some new Poly caps (they will be here next week). I have been listening to music and tv on them for a couple of days now, and today when I turned them on this morning I noticed the left channel is not working properly. I put my ear by the tweeter and it has a faint output (sort of a crackly sound), the midrange has no output at all, and the woofer is fine ( not sure if that is correct or not but there was bass coming out). How can I find out if the tweeter, midrange, or woofer have failed or pinpoint the problem? I have not been listening to them loud other than 1 time when I turned them up and I heard the audio switch the focus to the other channel and then go back to normal. I am hoping it is in the crossover but I don't know how to check it out? I remember seeing speakers be tested in a car stereo place with a 9v battery... Would that be a good way to test the tweeter and midrange?

tia,

Ron

Edited by ellisr63

I went to test the speakers with a 9v battery and discovered the midrange screws were loose. I tested the tweeter and midrange and then re hooked them up... Checking all the screws to make sure they were tight and then played some music. Both channels are working fine again... apparently the seller had disconnected the mid and tweeter at one time and hadn't tightened them down properly. I am glad I didn't have a blown speaker! Next week I will get the new caps installed.... I have never had to solder before is this something I should attempt or should I get it soldered for me? I can do mechanical work but I have never tried soldering, but years ago I did some welding... brazing, mig, and ARC.

Go for it.

Watch a YouTube video, or 2, about soldering. Use a small (~25 watt) soldering iron; do not use a soldering gun. Use ~ 60/40 rosin core solder; do not use acid core/flux. Good luck and keep us posted.

The following thread might serve as inspiration:

http://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/62250-four-abused-lascalas-need-a-good-home-sold/page-2

BTW, be careful with that 9v battery. You could easily fry a tweeter voice coil. A 1.5 volt is safer, but not fool-proof.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

I think you can do it on your own. With your mentioned experience you probably have a sense of when things are too hot or too cold.

I agree that a 25 watt iron will do. Radio Shack has a kit for $10 with some little add-ons and solder. It is hard to disagree with the price.

Let me suggest you buy a de-soldering bulb too for $5. You'll need some needle nose pliers of course.

We have a lot of questions on the forum about wood refinishing. I always point out that a person's first attempt at anything is poor, the second, better, and the third really improved. So it is best to practice on some other expendable wood project. The same goes for soldering.

So let me suggest you buy some RS terminal strips and some wire. Practice a bit soldering and then using the bulb. That way your work on the crossover will not be your first try. BTW, Heathkit used to provide such things to let first time kit builders practice. And you'll need to fold up a paper towel into pad and wet it with water it to clean the tip of the iron. Do check Youtube for instructions.

Others here can comment on the following. It seems to me you have the rectangular metal can caps with solder tabs and will be changing in tube shaped caps having leads. It seems to me the best way of doing this is to use an RS terminal strip mounted on the crossover board with the far right and left terminals to serve as an electrical and mechanical junction. Maybe hot glue the new cap to the board if it is physically large.

Also, wear glasses or safety glasses when you solder. A long time ago (when I didn't wear glasses) I managed to have a wire with solder prong a little solder into my eye. Not good.

If you think you'll be doing more soldering: Let me sing the praises of a Weller temperature controlled (not just cheap variable wattage) soldering station. It is just over $100. This makes soldering a whole new easy project. You'll see the same in reviews and it is absolutely true.

Finally. I found eutectic solder much better to work with. It has no slushy stage which leads to cold solder joints. If you e-mail me your snail mail address I can mail you a few feet.

Best,

WMcD

Another question...

I am picking up a 3rd LaScala in the morning. This one has a Rodgers amp built in for a powering the bass. From what I was told, since 2006 it has been used only for bass. Will the caps deteriorate due to age or only by use?

How can I tell if the caps are bad or not? Is there a measurement for spec on the caps?

tia,

Ron

Ron,

I know you saw these on the AK site. The LS used by the Rodgers Organ Co. was pretty much a stock LaScala with their amp installed opposite the stock Klipsch crossover. Unless they bypassed the crossover to just drive the woofer, the crossover would still have been used, even if they used it just for the 'bass'. They wouldn't have gotten deep bass out of it anyway.

If it has the old oil filled caps like in the pic, I would replace them and dispose of the caps properly. They have PCBs in them.

Here's a pic of one with the top removed (older style LS)

Bruce.

post-5045-0-76680000-1382787450_thumb.jp

post-5045-0-91600000-1382787464_thumb.jp

post-5045-0-81720000-1382789700_thumb.jp

Edited by Marvel

Ron,

I know you saw these on the AK site. The LS used by the Rodgers Organ Co. was pretty much a stock LaScala with their amp installed opposite the stock Klipsch crossover. Unless they bypassed the crossover to just drive the woofer, the crossover would still have been used, even if they used it just for the 'bass'. They wouldn't have gotten deep bass out of it anyway.

If it has the old oil filled caps like in the pic, I would replace them and dispose of the caps properly. They have PCBs in them.

Here's a pic of one with the top removed (older style LS)

Bruce.

Thanks Bruce, I just got home with the 3rd LaScala... This one was in much better condition than my other 2 that I got last week. This one even has the little envelope still attached to the back. My friend and I pulled the top off and removed the amp and rewired the crossover to work. I am going to do the caps to the other 2 and then I will do this one. It appears that you can get a better deal on the Rodgers LaScalas than a normal LaScala. I paid $400 for this one on eBay, and I could have gotten it for less but I was afraid that someone might get into a bidding war with me so I did the Buy Now price. I am going to keep my eye out for more... Who knows maybe I will end up with a 9.1 Lascala setup! I am currently trying to sell my Paradigms to fund another pair of LaScalas.

Edited by ellisr63
  • Like 1

On 10/26/2013 at 4:53 PM, ellisr63 said:

I am going to keep my eye out for more... Who knows maybe I will end up with a 9.1 Lascala setup! I am currently trying to sell my Paradigms to fund another pair of LaScalas.

Islander responded:

I had a Paradigm 5.1 setup, but I sold it soon after I got my La Scalas, except for the PW-2100 V.2 sub. Then came a pair of Heresy IIs, then another pair, then a pair of Belles. A few months ago, I got a pair of La Scala IIs. Now the setup is 6.1, with 5 of the 6 speakers being LS or Belle, plus a Paradigm sub.

When I first thought of replacing the side surround Heresy IIs with La Scalas, the idea seemed a bit extreme, but for curiosity I put them in place and tried it out. The improvement was amazing! The side La Scalas are there to stay.

If you have a chance to go 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, or 9.1 La Scala, I'd say go for it! :emotion-21::cool::emotion-21:

• Like 1

Cool! Post a pic when you can. You can probably sell the Rodgers amp to recoup some of the cost.

Bruce

I gave it to a friend of mine who has been doing all my electronics repairs for years for parts only. He thought it looked like a nice amp so I said you can have it.

I am going to keep my eye out for more... Who knows maybe I will end up with a 9.1 Lascala setup! I am currently trying to sell my Paradigms to fund another pair of LaScalas.

I had a Paradigm 5.1 setup, but I sold it soon after I got my La Scalas, except for the PW-2100 V.2 sub. Then came a pair of Heresy IIs, then another pair, then a pair of Belles. A few months ago, I got a pair of La Scala IIs. Now the setup is 6.1, with 5 of the 6 speakers being LS or Belle, plus a Paradigm sub.

When I first thought of replacing the side surround Heresy IIs with La Scalas, the idea seemed a bit extreme, but for curiosity I put them in place and tried it out. The improvement was amazing! The side La Scalas are there to stay.

If you have a chance to go 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, or 9.1 La Scala, I'd say go for it! :emotion-21::cool::emotion-21:

I have someone coming over Wednesday to pick up my Paradigms. I won a PSA Triax sub, which should be here in a few weeks. The PSA sub is one of the main reasons I switched to the Klipsch LaScalas, plus I owned a pair back in 1979 and loved them. The Triax sub has a 4000w continuous rating and 8000w peak. Some of the people have seen 130db, and some have seen 90db at 5hz! I will keep my eyes out for all LaScalas then. I might be able to afford it if I can get some killer deals like I did on the 3 I currently have.

• Like 1