LaScala problem

NBPK402

I am going to keep my eye out for more... Who knows maybe I will end up with a 9.1 Lascala setup! I am currently trying to sell my Paradigms to fund another pair of LaScalas.

I had a Paradigm 5.1 setup, but I sold it soon after I got my La Scalas, except for the PW-2100 V.2 sub. Then came a pair of Heresy IIs, then another pair, then a pair of Belles. A few months ago, I got a pair of La Scala IIs. Now the setup is 6.1, with 5 of the 6 speakers being LS or Belle, plus a Paradigm sub.

When I first thought of replacing the side surround Heresy IIs with La Scalas, the idea seemed a bit extreme, but for curiosity I put them in place and tried it out. The improvement was amazing! The side La Scalas are there to stay.

If you have a chance to go 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, or 9.1 La Scala, I'd say go for it! :emotion-21::cool::emotion-21:

What are the dimensions of your room? Mine could be as large as 23'x 17'.... I am not sure if I have the room for the LaScalas on the sides. Did you mount them up high or are they all ground level?

The room is 18' x 19'/5.5 m. x 5.8 m., with the right wall only going from the back half-way to the front. The L-C-R La Scala IIs and Belle are on the carpeted floor, and the side La Scalas are raised 12-1/2"/32 cm. on black folding plastic step stools, four per speaker for maximum stability. The legs of the step stools act like spikes on the carpet, so the side speakers are sitting very solidly, while the front speakers are not quite as solid, meaning a firm push can make them budge a little. I may consider cones under them at some point, but they sound fine as is. The La Scala IIs weigh 175 lbs./80 kg., plus the Jubilee tweeters and custom stands sitting on top of the treble cabinets add about another 30 lbs./14 kg., so even extreme level sound is unlikely to jiggle them, especially considering they're 25"/64 cm. deep.

The tops of the side La Scalas are 47"/1.2 m. above the floor. The listening chair is a large La-Z-Boy loveseat/2-cushion sofa, so when I'm in the fully reclined position, the tops of the bass horns are a few inches above ear level, and the tweeter centres are about 12"/30 cm. above ear level. Even when not reclined, the tweeters are well above ear level. If the speakers were any higher, the treble would pass over my head, so this height works well in this situation.

Because there's a wood stove (not being used) on one side, and a baseboard heater on the other side, the La Scalas are about 3 feet/1 metre from the side walls. A large bookcase on one side and the stove on the other keep them over a foot from the back wall as well. The back of the loveseat is 54"/1.4 m. from the back wall, so the surround back and side speakers have some room. I have a second Belle that I could use as a rear centre surround, but I'd have to figure out a suitable stand, since it's much larger than the Heresy III. Because there's a baseboard heater there (the room has 3 baseboard heaters), the plastic step stools are unsuitable, and I want the speaker to be higher to keep it away from the heat. I may do it at some point, since I did have it as a rear centre some time ago, when I had a large TV stand that supported the Belle properly.

The rear centre Heresy III is on a tall black plywood box, which is on a steel stand, so it's higher than the other speakers, nearly six feet high. Its height matched the Heresy IIs that I had been using as side surrounds. Those speakers are now disconnected, but still in position, so their cabinets can act as sound diffusers in the room. The La Scalas are in front of them.

Overall, the room doesn't seem cluttered, since the black speakers behind the furniture aren't that noticeable, and the TV is about 10 feet/3 m. from the loveseat, giving a roomy look. The only sitting furniture is the large loveseat and a matching large (1-1/2 times normal width) reclining armchair.

• Like 1