Know it has been asked....Center for KG-4

Mike0580

I've searched and don't quite see what I'm trying to determine. So sorry if this is old news to many....

I'm one of those late 80's sound guys that put away thier system during kids. I'm now getting ready to pull out my old KG-4s (in great shape by the way) and pair them with good center, sub and rears.

I'm mainly concerned about the center. I know the standard recommendation is the KV-3. But my questions are

1) I have a local KV-2 for a good price. Does it hold up OK with the KG4's or too small?

2) Speaking of size the current RC-42II fits perfectly in my entertainment center. But again is that too small?

3) Do any of the current series pair better with the old KG series? Now that I'm getting back into it I can see maybe modernizing some in a couple of years.

And if anyone wants to throw out recomendations for sub, rears and a new AV receiver...I'm listening.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I had a RC-42II & it was OK, but, inadequate, so I sold it at a loss & bought a single Heresy II off eBay to go with my Heresy II Fronts & Surrounds.

The Heresy II is wonderful for my set-up; therefore, I recommend a Single kg4, or an Academy. I've seen a few single kg4 for sale, and many Academy on eBay this year.

It seems that most of the time good centers go for what a pair of KG3 or 4s go for. For that reason I am using 3 pairs of KGs in a 6.1 setup. Three KG4s for the front, KG 3.2 on the sides, and the remaining KG4 for rear. All speakers sound great together and it is surround sound on the cheap. Don't think I paid more that $150 for any of the KG pairs. I have seen several Academy for sale in my area but the price is always over $300.

• Like 1

Picked up a working, well maintained Academy this morning for $250. Super excited. Have eye on some kg-2's for rear. But unfortunately I can't even hook this big speaker up yet! That Academy is heavy!

So now it is on to picking out an A/V receiver.

Like to go vintage again, but with all the streaming and internet capabilities in entertainment now I'm probably going to want something that will head more in a technolgy direction.

Picked up a working, well maintained Academy this morning for $250. Super excited. Have eye on some kg-2's for rear. But unfortunately I can't even hook this big speaker up yet! That Academy is heavy!

So now it is on to picking out an A/V receiver.

Like to go vintage again, but with all the streaming and internet capabilities in entertainment now I'm probably going to want something that will head more in a technolgy direction.

Good price on an Academy. That is also on the preferred list of centers for the heritage speakers like the Heresy, Forte, LaScala, Belle Klipsch, Cornwall, and Klipschorn. Don't get rid of that speaker, cause you will likely keep it if you ever upgrade to Heritage.

I use a KG 2.5 as a center for a pair of KG 4.2's. Sounds great and much less than an Academy.

Nice buy!