My 14yr old son just got an upgrade to his bedroom setup

Youthman

• Moderators

Tonight we replaced the RC-7 with the RC-64ii. The RC-7 will be moving to a new home. Wake Junkie will be taking the RC-7 home with him in 2 weeks after his visit.

You think this might be a little overkill for a 14yr old's 9' x 9' bedroom setup? LOL

Klipsch-RF-7-and-RC-64ii-1.jpg

Klipsch-RF-7-and-RC-64ii-2.jpg

• Moderators

I decided to keep the RC-64ii for several reasons:

1) The RC-64ii is much more difficult to come by, especially at $1499 MSRP. You rarely see them come up used and new, they are $900.

2) Even though it isn't voice matched to my son's RC-7's my son doesn't care. :P He sits 3ft away and the RF-7's can't be toed in at all due to the door opening to his room would hit the speakers if we did.

3) Having all black speakers maches much better in his room than the cherry did and he never takes the grills off so the different style of woofers doesn't matter.

4) I paid $200 for the RC-7. I the less than that for the RC-64ii. :D

5) It gives me the option to swap out the RF-83 / RC-64 for the RF-7ii / RC-64ii in the HT down the road or move it to the living room if we ever decide to add a TV in there. It would make one killer 3.0 setup.

6) Although Wake is like a brother to me, I'm selfish. :P Well, I'm not too selfish. Wake is getting SERIOUSLY hooked up with this deal too. He's going home with RF-7ii, RC-7 and RS-35's.

Edited by Youthman

• Moderators

Yes, my son knows the value of the system he has. He actually purchased his first pair of Klipsch (CF-2's) with his own money. Believe he paid $150 for them from a forum member. We sold them and bought the RF-7's and I covered the minimal difference. I'm hoping to raise him right so that when he is older, he will continue to enjoy the beautiful sound of Klipsch. More than likely, he will get to keep the RF-7's when he moves out to his own place. Then he can begin his own Klipsch journey of building his first Klipsch HT.

• Moderators

We began putting together a bedroom system for my son when he was 11. Here is my WTB speakers for my 11yr old son thread.

I was originally thinking of finding a pair of DCM 12's for his room since I had them as a teen and for dub step (his favorite genre of music), they would absolutely slam. We started out with B&W bookshelves but they were totally not a good fit since they had very little bottom end. Then we moved to CF-2's but they were still lacking in the bass that he was looking for. Then I found an incredible deal on a pair of RF-7's and we made the switch and knew our search was over. No need to look any further. Later I found the RC-7 for $200 and added it to his collection and now it has been upgraded to the RC-64ii.

• Moderators

The other thing about my son that I forgot to mention is he has yet to put one scratch on any of the speakers he has had in his room. As you can see from the photo above, everything has it's place in his room. He knows if ANYTHING has been moved at all. His bed is always made and floors are always kept clean. Yes I know, that's not normal at all for a teenage boy but he's been that way for a very long time.

I found some older pics of his room. You can see again how tidy everything is.

Jake-Room-Before.jpg

He decorated his room with comics, posters etc and even some hand drawings of comics.

Jake-Room-Comics.jpg

And just so that you know that I don't spoil my son, here is his car that I bought for him when he turns 16.

Jake-Car.jpg

Ok, just kidding. :lol: That was a pic I took of him during the Festivals of Speed car show I took him to last year.

You think this might be a little overkill for a 14yr old's 9' x 9' bedroom setup? LOL

Do you think Cornwalls are overkill for a 10x10 room, what do you think we all think. NO never ha.

Youth I've said it before, you teaching your kids right. His system looks great, when is joining the forum, ah hes to young and is probably hanging out with friends and don't have time to hang with us old folks.

• Moderators

Pretty much. LOL. One thing about my son is he's contempt with whatever he has. Unlike 2 of my 3 girls, he never asks for anything and doesn't act like he's entitled. If I told him I need to sell his center channel, he wouldn't care. If we had to downgrade the speakers to some KG 3.2's, he'd be fine with that. If I took away speakers altogether, he would still be fine as long as he had some earbuds for his iPod. He's the easiest of our 4 children. Pretty much no maintenance, he makes his and the other 3 girl's lunches and anytime I ask him to do something like wash the dishes or take out the garbage, he pauses the game right then and goes and does it (what teenager does that?)

Youthman's Dad: Hey son, I need you to take the garbage to the road.

Youthman: Ok Dad, just a minute. I'm almost beating this level in Zelda.

30 minutes later....

Youthman's Dad: Did you take out the garbage.....

Youthman: Um I forgot....but I promise Dad, I'm almost done beating this boss! :lol:

• Moderators

Ha. The TV was last year's black friday deal. 32" for $144 maybe? There was a 42" for less than $200 but they were gone in no time. The 32" is a huge upgrade from his previous 19" shown above.

RagingBull, our kids have been told that for their first car, we don't believe in hand outs. We will match what they save with a limit of $3000. So if my kids save $3000, we'll match $3000. I'd say $6000 will buy a pretty descent first car. Heck, the 2003 Toyota Camry I'm driving now I only paid $3200 for and it's in fantastic shape. Besides, my first car was only $2300 (Hyundai Excel) and it didn't Excel at anything.