Picked up a Sherbourn 72100A (200 x 7) 7 Monoblocks in single chassis Amp Today

Youthman

• Moderators

I'm pretty excited. Today I picked up a Sherbourn 72100A Amp. I honestly thought my 85lb Parasound HCA2205a was a beast to lug around. The Sherbourn is ridiculous at 115lbs!

So far, I tested it out on the RF-7ii's in the living room using only 2 channels of the amp. The Sherbourn has more bottom end than the NAD 2700 I'm currently using. The Sherbourn seems as warm sounding as the NAD and is very detailed as well.

I'll be hooking it up in the HT next week to see how it sounds with the RF-83 system. Even though I doubt it will make a difference, I might use the extra 2 channels to bi-amp the RF-83's. Anyone see any problem in doing that? This will provide me with additional power should I decide down the road to move to a 7.1 setup. Due to my second row seats being very close to the back wall, I would probably have to go with inwalls for the surround backs.

Sherbourn 72100A (200 x 7) Specs

The 7/2100A weighs an astounding 115 pounds and features the world’s first seven mono block, seven toroidal transformer amplifier. This brute will output a massive 2.1 kW and comes with two power cords to ensure that you can pull all of the needed power from two outlets, which eliminates the need to install a special 20-amp circuit. Sherbourn uses only the finest components, including fifty-six bi-polar Mosfet transistors and has an over 150,000 microfarad capacitance. The rear panel includes XLR and RCA inputs, gold plated five-way binding posts and a low voltage trigger input. Unique to Sherbourn is our LDS, (Load Detection System) that allows the amp to sample the signal before powering up and will detect if the “load” is within safe parameters.

200 x 7 @ 8 OHMS (All Channels Driven)

300 x 7 @ 4 OHMS (All Channels Driven)
Six of the Seven channels can be bridged to give a front stage output of 400 x 3 @ 8 OHMS and 600 x 3 @ 4 OHMS

And as usual, here is some photos for your enjoyment.

Sherbourn-72100A-1.jpg

Sherbourn-72100A-2.jpg

Sherbourn-72100A-3.jpg

Sherbourn-72100A-4.jpg

Sherbourn-72100A-5.jpg

Sherbourn-72100A-6.jpg

• Moderators

I really like how the separate channels power on sequentially instead of all 7 channels coming on at one time. You can see the front LED's turn on separately as well as hear the clicking sound of the amps turning on.

I was curious what the "On Music 12V" switch on the back did. Looking at the manual, On allows you to only turn the amp on and off via the front power button. Music senses any input from the input channels and turns the amp on and after 5-7 minutes of no signal, it turns the amp off. 12v of course is a 12v trigger. I'll have to call Klipsch to see if they have the 12v Plugin for the amp.

It looks like Sherbourn put a lot of features into this amp. It should last me for a very, very long time.

• Moderators

Thx Derrick. My receiver is 7.1 and does not support FH or FW. Yes, I saw Scrappy's post. He has a sweet amp as well. His weights 20lbs less but has more power at 350 x 7. I believe his has a 20amp power plug (shaped differently than standard 3 prong plug) and requires a 20amp circuit. The 72100a has two power plugs and the manual says if you are running 8ohm speakers, you can use a 15a circuit (which is what I have). Guess I will find out when I crank it up. LOL

• Moderators

I doubt I have two separate circuits in the same room. The manual says I can connect both power cords to the same double outlet 15 amp circuit since I'm running 8ohm speakers.

Here is what the manual says...

Many homes have double outlet sockets which are supported by one 15 amp circuit. If you are using 4
ohm speakers, and you like the amplifier to play very loud through each speaker, it will be necessary to

use two different power supply outlets EACH of which should be supplying separate 15 amp circuits.

This is the reason for supplying the two power cords with different lengths. If your speakers are 8 ohm

impedance, you can connect both power cords to the same double outlet 15 amp circuit.

I doubt I have two separate circuits in the same room. The manual says I can connect both power cords to the same double outlet 15 amp circuit since I'm running 8ohm speakers.

Here is what the manual says...

Many homes have double outlet sockets which are supported by one 15 amp circuit. If you are using 4

ohm speakers, and you like the amplifier to play very loud through each speaker, it will be necessary to

use two different power supply outlets EACH of which should be supplying separate 15 amp circuits.

This is the reason for supplying the two power cords with different lengths. If your speakers are 8 ohm

impedance, you can connect both power cords to the same double outlet 15 amp circuit.

Interesting, what they are really saying is that only 4 ohm speakers draw enough amperage to require the extra cord system, since plugging two separate cords into one 15 amp breaker won't increase power in anyway or reduce the amperage draw at the breaker. The amp probably is designed to require both cords to be plugged in for all channels to work, but by plugging them into the same circuit won't functionally do anything extra.

• Moderators

You are correct. The manual stated that one cord is a master and the other is a slave. If you don't have the master plugged in, the slave channels will not power up. Definitely no benefit to the two cords unless you have each connected to separate circuits.

I think you would be suprised at how little wattage is required to run multiple amps or one monster amp. My Yamaha M 80, Carver M 400, Pioneer SC 35, 2 Berhinger amps, cable box and BD all together average 265 watt at -30 on the avr. This is about 3 amp. The plasma TV use more power than most of the amps,lol.

This is the same amp that I have been using for the past 5 years or so. It replaced two rare DBX BX-1 2,3,or 4 channel configurable amplifiers that I was using. I compared them one on one with the Sherbourn and decided to keep the Sherbourn. It can drive my all Heritage system to insane levels it is very clean sounding and distortion free even when really pushed. Here is a photo of the internals of one of the DBX amp that it replaced (I guess attached photos are not working yet). It has been rock solid from a performance standpoint.

Edited by Frzninvt

I think you would be suprised at how little wattage is required to run multiple amps or one monster amp. My Yamaha M 80, Carver M 400, Pioneer SC 35, 2 Berhinger amps, cable box and BD all together average 265 watt at -30 on the avr. This is about 3 amp. The plasma TV use more power than most of the amps,lol.

yeah but-30 is almost silent lol. I set my receiver to turn on at -30.

• Moderators

Thx everyone. I didn't really notice any noise from the speakers when no music was playing so I'm assuming the noise floor is low. The HT is a much quieter room so I'll probably be able to compare better in there.

Frz, I'm glad you are enjoying your amp. I'm really not expecting it to be any type of "upgrade" audibly from my Parasound but having two extra channels, XLR and bridgability is an upgrade.

Thx everyone. I didn't really notice any noise from the speakers when no music was playing so I'm assuming the noise floor is low. The HT is a much quieter room so I'll probably be able to compare better in there.

Frz, I'm glad you are enjoying your amp. I'm really not expecting it to be any type of "upgrade" audibly from my Parasound but having two extra channels, XLR and bridgability is an upgrade.

I had no idea it had 7 monoblock amps....that is sweet!

really looking forward to the Parasound faceoff.

You mentioned having more bottom end. Do you think that is just from having more power pushing or an aspect of the sound of the amp?

• Moderators

Honestly, I don't know Wake. I believe others have shared that certain amps have more bottom end than others. I'm guessing it's due to the type of amp configuration? Willland explained it to me one time in a thread but I have no idea which thread it was. I just know that when I added the Parasound, I had an increase of bass (even at lower volumes). I'm not certain what factors play into making that happen.