Crites CT-125 Polarity Check

absolve2525

I wanted to make sure I have the tweeters hooked properly to the Crites A/4500 crossovers. In my big room, it seems like the K 77 had much more output. Perhaps I have them hooked up wrong. Which connector is positive on the driver itself? I was going by the leads, attaching the red, non-striped to positive thus far. I have the midrange horn knocked down 5db. Thanks!

Edited by absolve2525

When I replaced my K-77's with the Ct-125's in the Khorns and Cornwall I had to use the equalizer (with the Shack meter) to bump down the 9KHZ range which was checking about 6 db higher than anything. They did go up to 21khz. That didn't even help my hearing which stops at 10KHZ. I used the standard polarity on the CT-125 and Dean Crossover.

JJK

absolve,

something is definitely right for those results. don't know if polarity would be the issue, but that would be easy enough to check out.

my experience with the CT-125 is that it is a drop in replacement for the K-77. The K-77 and CT-125 do sound different, but the difference would not be a big drop off in tweeter level.

I'd suggest to contact Bob on email or phone.

I've been told that K-77s can vary quite a bit in output between units, which is why Klipch matched them up in pairs. So, if your pair came out of the "hot" pile, you would hear less output than you are used to. If your K-77s were from that other pile, you might think your new tweeters are too hot. The CT-125s are much more consistant from unit to unit. So, it's not a CT-125 problem, it's a K-77 problem. I don't remember who I heard this from, either Max Potter, Al K, or maybe even Bob himself.

The driver should have a factory mark. The positive side of the driver should be clearly marked (I've never seen a driver that wasn't).

Thanks for the visual aid, Chris! I double checked the connections, and they're hooked up properly. For fun, I recently hooked up my EV HP 640 horns instead of the stock K400, and midrange might be more efficient. With a 5db midhorn drop via Al K transformer attenuators, things are really blending together quite well with the Crites tweeters. I'll do some more listening before possibly trying K77 again. Thanks guys!

Somehwere on here Bob Crites posted comparison curves of several K-77 vintages and the CT-125s. Maybe even some others. Pictures tell the story. I can't remember if there was that much of a difference except that the CT-125 had more high end extension, and slightly lower output.

Dean makes a good point about matched pairs. I have had 2 or 3 pairs of K-77s that had different output levels. You could hear it. I had to have Bob Crites match pairs for me more than once. It's always helpful when the left drivers soudn the same as the right drivers.

When I installed CT125s in my La Scalas, I checked the output and it was 2-3 dB down from the K-77s, but the CT125s were within 0.5 dB of each other, while the 32-year-old K-77s were 1-2 dB different from each other.

The slightly lower output of the CT125 tweeters made the bass and mids seem a bit stronger, and their high frequency response was much better, too.

• 5 years later...