Cornwall 1 rebuild

Stevenbarnes1

Hey everybody ! Picked up a set of Cornwall 1's last year on craigslist for $550 & a 550 mi. Round trip to pick them up here in central CA. !! Decent shape, they oiled up & look pretty nice. Ordered & installed new Crites x-overs earlier this year. Helped, but I think they still sound kind of flat & "tired", but since I don't know their history & they're almost 42 years old. So I figured what the hell, called bob (Crites) & ordered the new cast woofers and sent him my mids & tweeters to let him work his magic !! I'm using a pioneer elite sc-65 & an oppo bdp-105 to power them. Tube amp next year !! I'll repost in a couple of weeks & let everyone know if my $552 was money well spent !!

Well, the early verdict is in !! Bob received my tweets & mids on a Friday, the following Monday they were done & on their way back, received them Thursday afternoon. Kudos to Mr. Crites for the quick turnaround !! Only replaced the woofer wire with 14 ga. Monoprice, the 16 ga. on the mids & tweets still looked brand new, so figured what the hey. About 30 min. after they arrived they were installed & ready to go. Started off with "Dire Straits" one of my all time favorites. Immediately noticed (felt) more bass !! My old ones looked really good, but there is a noticeable difference. Felt like I was hearing more mids, tweeters were harder. One week later I'm very pleased with what I'm hearing. I'm really noticing what a difference there is in different CD's. Some, mostly music that has a lot going on, still sounds kinda muddy, just not getting the instrument separation I would expect, although so do get better the louder you turn them up !! Groups like steely dan with lots of instrument separation sound fantastic. I'm running my oppo bdp-105 stereo anolog out to cd in on my pioneer. Hope to one day figure out how to use the DAC & a computer to try some digital music. I bought about 100 CD's this past year & I'm gonna enjoy them first !! I'm reading up on the rouge audio tube amps & ultravalve amp by Ava hi fi. Any imput on good tube amps for the Cornwalls ? I'm mostly pink Floyd, zz top, zepp, and everything else from the 60's & 70's. Thanks in advance for any advice !!

Any imput on good tube amps for the Cornwalls ? I'm mostly pink Floyd, zz top, zepp, and everything else from the 60's & 70's. Thanks in advance for any advice !!

Here's where it gets hard. How much do you want to spend. It's easy for us to spend your money, but it is a decision you need to make.

...and welcome to the forums, btw.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, I'm thinking I'm going to walk before I run !! I figure $1000-$2500 to start. I've been reading a lot of good things about rogue audio- sphinx & cronos are in the budget. Also the AVA ultravalve amps seems to get great reviews. I'm thinking at this price range if I want to go bigger down the road- I.e. Spend more money ! I can use this amp with a set of heresy's I have in another room.

There really isn't anything wrong with the existing wire -- it should be tinned copper, which is pretty nice.

I rebuilt and refinished a pair of '64 Cornwalls this past summer and I left the original wiring in there. Wasn't any reason not to, really.

Well there was a reason, but not if you believe wire = wire. But I do not believe this.

Shakey