(changed title) Klipsch Reference vs BIC Acoustech

Powwers16

I'm looking to buy some 4th generation Klipsch Reference RF-52 front speakers on craigslist for $385. What makes me nervous, is the fact that its a 4th generation and not the 5th generation. But, is there any audible difference at all between the 4th and 5th generation of this speaker? Or this the same situation as with the Polk Audio Monitor and TSi series where the sounds remains the same but cosmetics change. Also, would the Klipsch RF-52 front speakers with the Klipsch RF-52 center channel be a worthy upgrade from Polk TSi300 fronts and Polk CS10 center channel? My sub for the system is the Klipsch RW-12D.

Edited by Powwers16

Powwers16,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm looking to buy some 4th generation Klipsch Reference RF-52 front speakers on craigslist for $385.

That price of $385.00 might be on the high side for used RF-52's.

What makes me nervous, is the fact that its a 4th generation and not the 5th generation. But, is there any audible difference at all between the 4th and 5th generation of this speaker?

Others may chime in but the audible difference between 4th and 5th is very minimal. A few slight cosmetic changes though.

Also, would the Klipsch RF-52 front speakers with the Klipsch RF-52 center channel be a worthy upgrade from Polk TSi300 fronts and Polk CS10 center channel?

No opinion there, never heard those Polks.

Bill

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums.

Several years ago, I had Polk RT-800 mains, CS-300 center and FX500 surrounds. I was pleased with the sound until I purchased a pair of Klipsch CF-2's. The clarity & detail blew the polks away so I immediately sold them and bought a KV-3 center. From there, there was no turning back. I even demoed Polk's high end LSi series and still did not feel it came close to the sound I achieved with Klipsch.

As far as version IV vs V, take a look at my RF-7 vs RF-7ii vs RF-83 thread. It is not a night and day difference between those three but they do sound different. If you are comparing RF-62 to RF-62ii, I doubt you will hear much difference at all. It really depends on what is important to you. If you don't mind used speakers, you can get some unbelievable deals (ie RF-7ii System: the Best Deal of My Life).

I've always preferred the sound of the RF-82 and higher speakers. The smaller drivers of the RF-52 and RF-62 just didn't do it for me. If you are patient, you can get a killer deal on some killer speakers get more than you ever dreamed you would own.

• Like 1

i sold some mint rf-52's a few months ago for 275 and it took me forever to sell them at that price. id hold off for something better unless you get them for 275 or less. i picked up some mint rf-62's for 250 and some slightly scuffed and i mean slightly 82's for 250 as well. what's your location maybe we can point you in a better direction.

Ok this is my situation now. I could have 4th generation Klipsch RF-52 fronts and RC-52 center all for $600 or I could buy the BIC Acoustech PL-89 II fronts with the PL-28 II center channel all for about 675$. What would you all do in this situation? Which is the better deal?

• Moderators

If I were you, I would check into these systems that are possibly near you

Complete RF-3ii system - $875 in Cartersville, GA

Unsure what models these speakers are but I texted the guy in Evansville, IN for $250

RF-62 for $500/pr and RC-62 for $250 in Murfreesboro with original boxes.

Cash talks so it never hurts to offer less.

IMO, the RC-52 is "worth" at best(mint with box), $200.00. RF-52 at $350.00 max(mint with boxes). The RF-52/RC-52 set is a good sounding setup for a smaller room and with proper subwoofer integration can be made to sound "bigger" than they are. Even with a good sub, they will not have the presense of say the RF-82/RC-62 but still will have a good sound. If your room is no more than about 2200 ft3, I think you would be okay going with the 52 combo.

I don't really know the market value or quality of the Acoustech speakers but I do know they are a "knock off" of the Klipsch Reference line, which I am not implying they are inferior.

Bill

That is a really big room that deserves/needs some big speakers. I'd suggest you keep saving and look for some Heritage speakers, like La Scalas or Belles, and later, Heresys for surrounds, or more La Scalas. You'll have great sound right now, with no need to upgrade in a year or two.

In buying audio gear, like many other things, taking a few big steps is more fun and less expensive in the long run than taking a lot of tiny steps.

Edited by Islander

to be honest i have side by sided the 62/82 a ton of times and find that the 62's do everything the 82's do with only a little less on the low end (if not crossed over). thats why they are in my opinion the best bang for your buck.

that last add youth posted would get you a full 62 theater for 1100$ and that will be just fine in a room that size, unless you are looking for reference level playback, and in that case you are gonna have to go rf-7ii theater. like cecaa said subs is gonna be where you have to spend some dough if you want some real bass cause tht is a very large room. mine is 23x12 and i have 4 18's to get me reference levels