Home Theater with Klipschorns

umisound

..or Belles. The only differences are form factor, appearance, and typically cost with Belle's typically commanding the higher price. A good pair of La Scalas will set you back about $800-1200, while the same Belles might fetch $500-$700 more.

I don't recommend Heresies or Cornwalls for the center since I found that there are some timbre matching issues and audible bass modulation distortion that drowns out Khorn performance. I also do not recommend anything in the home theater line, such as the Reference series, etc. Timbre mismatches are far too great, IMHE. I do recommend moving your electronic rack to one side or the other and to set your television on top of the center (assuming you are planning to use a TV). If using a projector then you will probably need at least an 8' ceiling height in order to make use of the projector's greater area projection capability (again, IMHO).

You might be able to get away with Heresy surrounds but there are typically issues with getting these up to ear level (not much higher and certainly not lower) without loss of lf response corresponding to the quarter-wavelength height of the speakers off the floor or ceiling. If you mount from the ceiling, you might be able to adjust the Heresies as surrounds but you will likely need to mount the surrounds a bit further back due to the ceiling height in order to handle coverage differences with the Heresies looking down at your listening chairs.

There are some Professional Klipsch surround speakers that will work, too: http://www.klipsch.com/permanent-installation

"Strange...but true"

Chris

Edited by Cask05
  • Like 1

La Scala or Belle center, Heresy or KPT series for surrounds. Still some KPT-100 availbale in the Garage Sale section (I use them as rear surrounds with Heresy II as side surrounds; see pic). BTW, why 5.0? No sub for the LFE channel?

dsc_13499cr800.jpg

dsc_13494cr800.jpg

Edited by psg
  • Like 1

umisound,

Forget the Belle and go for the LaScala center. What has not been discussed is that since you want something with lower space requirements, go for the two piece pro LaScala or LSI, with one of these you can use the top hat wich houses the midrange and tweeter for your center and put the Bass bin to the side. Use LaScalas for your surrounds as well.

Roger

• Like 1

umisound,

Forget the Belle and go for the LaScala center. What has not been discussed is that since you want something with lower space requirements, go for the two piece pro LaScala or LSI, with one of these you can use the top hat wich houses the midrange and tweeter for your center and put the Bass bin to the side. Use LaScalas for your surrounds as well.

Roger

All Belles are 2 piece and their wider stance and shallower depth make them easier to place . The Belle also better matches the appearance of KHorns .

"60 plasma on center Belle .

P1000288.jpg

umisound,

Roger

All Belles are 2 piece and their wider stance and shallower depth make them easier to place . The Belle also better matches the appearance of KHorns .

"60 plasma on center Belle .

P1000288.jpg

But not the sound.

Roger

many thanks to all of you for the great responses.

My 260sqft "studio" still requires me to go for some more moderate approach.

I tried a setup with 3 additional "traditional" bookshelf size hifi speakers now from former stereos. The movie sound is quite "ok" and the bass from the 2 khorns is more than sufficient to fill the room.

The pictures shown with all the Belles around just look awesome and i wish i had the space. But since bass is ok from the khorns i tend to look for pieces like just the upper (mid / treble) part. The AVR would allow for setting them up as "small" and let the basswork be done by the khorns alone.

From first impressions the center in use has difficulties to "compete" with the horns left and right to it.

Maybe this is what to go for first.I had hoped to read more encouraging statements regards the Ref center speakers or any alternative in that "geometry".

uwe

I have one problem with only using the high hat section of the LaScala as a center, it doesn't dip down into the 80 or even 100hz range. The high hat crosses over around 400hz, you'll need a full LaScala as a center. My setup consist of Cornwalls and a heresy for the center.

many thanks to all of you for the great responses.

My 260sqft "studio" still requires me to go for some more moderate approach.

I tried a setup with 3 additional "traditional" bookshelf size hifi speakers now from former stereos. The movie sound is quite "ok" and the bass from the 2 khorns is more than sufficient to fill the room.

The pictures shown with all the Belles around just look awesome and i wish i had the space. But since bass is ok from the khorns i tend to look for pieces like just the upper (mid / treble) part. The AVR would allow for setting them up as "small" and let the basswork be done by the khorns alone.

From first impressions the center in use has difficulties to "compete" with the horns left and right to it.

Maybe this is what to go for first.I had hoped to read more encouraging statements regards the Ref center speakers or any alternative in that "geometry".

uwe

Oh, you're looking for a horizontal center channel? (that's what I perceive when you mention geometry). There are no horizontal centers this side of DIY that match the Khorn. That's a huge task!

you got it, prerich. I am aware that i will not achieve anything like the "optimum" , but hoped that e.g. the Klipsch horn supported center speakers would at least get close ...

The comments in this forum from all the horn enthusiasts do no let this seem likely.

uwe