Home Theater with Klipschorns

umisound

Phantom center (no center speaker) would likely be better than using a small unrelated speaker.

As for not using a sub, I am pretty use than you will get a compressed version of the LFE channel redirected to the KHorns, rather than the full effects. The LFE channel runs 10 dB hotter than the others so they must attenuate it in a 5.0 configuration. Build a horn-loaded sub! ;)

• Like 1

NOSvalves has a system which includes a couple LaScala bass bins in which the top hat is ported. If a guy had a single LaScala, built an enclosure for the squaker and tweeter horns, port the the LaScala and lay it on its side, and rest the horn enclosure on the newly ported laScala, how would the timbre match with a Khorn? I expect the ported LS bins can dig a good bit deeper than a normal LS or a Belle Klipsch.

Edited by mustang guy

Phantom center (no center speaker) would likely be better than using a small unrelated speaker.

As for not using a sub, I am pretty use than you will get a compressed version of the LFE channel redirected to the KHorns, rather than the full effects. The LFE channel runs 10 dB hotter than the others so they must attenuate it in a 5.0 configuration. Build a horn-loaded sub! ;)

The only thing I don't like about phantom centers in a HT is that unless you are sitting an equal distance from the mains, you don't hear the center in the center. As for a horn loaded sub, that is the only way to go. I tried a pair of KPT-684's with my LaScalas and after a few days of trying to get them to sound as good as my two THT's, I gave up. Reflex subs just don't match up as well as horn loaded subs with horn loaded bass bins like in the Khorn, LS and Belle.

• Like 1

I had to battle this same issue when I purchased my klipschorns. I was origially using a klipsch kv4 but it couldn't keep up. I really like the looks of the belle but they are a little hard to find. So I build my own using bob crites components. I actually built three because dad wanted a pair of them too. here is the set up with the horns and belles and they match the horns very well. I'm using forte II's for surrounds and a heresy in the rear as a 6.1 set up.

klipsch%20livingroom.PNG

thanks, i will give the phantom approach a try then. for the bass i am more than happy with what i get from my corner horns.

Don't buy a good sub then. You'll kick yourself for missing out on real LFE for so long. You're losing over an octave of content without one.

Are the Fortes necessary or would the Heresy do just as well for surrounds?

I think you would be happy with the heresys as surrounds. you have to securly get them up high enough though. that is why I went with the fortes. heresys are a little heavy to be that high off the ground. I'm only using one as a back channel and its way up high and upside down to put the horns closer to the ear. it is plenty loud and not to far off sonically. Ideally would be a la scala or belle given the space and budget, I even heard of kliphorns with false corners in the rear as well with a pair up front too.

Do the Forte and the Heresy keep up with the Khorn?

I think they do a fine job as surrounds.

When I first went to 5.1 I used Fortes as surrounds. I thought the sound was fantastic until the day came when I has too much time on my hands. I hauled my La Scalas down to the basement for the hell of it and I couldn't believe the difference, no going back. There is less of a difference for the rears in 7.1 however. I used the Fortes in the back but they were wasted back there, all you really need is quality mid range for the rears. That said, Fortes do a fine job for LR surround, unless of course you have a spare pair of La Scalas (or Belles, or K-horns). :emotion-14:

• Like 1

I use my own DIY center and RB-10,s as front L/R presence, RS-7 for surround L/R, RB-35 for back L/R.

Are the backs of the KHorns sealed off?

(I have asked this before in another thread but don't recall the answer)

Edited by psg