Subwoofer Help

botelerc

Need to be educated. I currently have an 83/64 setup on Onkyo 809, I think. I just bought a new sub. and need to know learn more about hooking it up, and some cable differences. First, I will primarily be using if for HT purposes. Is it better to hook it up using a single cable LFE or Y connection. Also need help choosing a cable. What is the difference between these two other than brand name? http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Ultra-Series-Subwoofer-Cable/dp/B003FVX9FO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1383122127&sr=8-4&keywords=subwoofer+cable

vs

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-M850-SW-12-M-Series-Subwoofer/dp/B0010DLYO2/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1383122422&sr=8-14&keywords=subwoofer+cable

or is there some other cable that would be better. As always I appreciate all the education that yall provide. Thanks,

Chad

• Moderators

Nothing wrong with the sub cable you are looking at on Amazon. Good price. Copper is copper.....don't get caught up in the marketing hype of "High end" cables. You won't hear any difference between those two cables. The monster just looks cooler. Monster has the interlocking (not sure what they call it) barrel tips and although they do grip stronger than other cables, that's actually a bad thing because when you try to remove it from an input, it takes a lot of force and you could begin to weaken a solder joint on the inside of your amp.

I always use a single Digital Coax sub cable with a Y at the sub end for the sub. Some subs won't work unless you have both Left and Right channels connected while others do not get as much signal with only a single cable connected.

• Like 2

You make some good points Youthman. The connection ends on this Monster cable do look familiar to me. I have fought those things off before, and when you twist them to get them loose you really put a lot of undue strain on the rca inputs. Putting them on in the first place takes a lot of pressure, and feels like it's going to push the RCA connection right into the device. Although a good mechanical connection is better, having a moderate amount of tightness and a material like gold electroplating that will not corrode or deteriorate would be better for the life of the device.

I would go clear of the "Monster Cable" cables... I actually had one remove the RCA jack sleeve when I was removing the cable from my DTV HDPVR due to it being insanely tight.

Edited by Boxx

Chad,

I would say if you or visitors are going to see the cable then how it looks matters more than specs. After all what are you sending to your sub 100 Hz and below? The only thing that matters is the resistance of the shield/low side signal between unbalanced pieces of equipment.

check these out:

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10236

No affiliation with Monoprice yada , yada, yada only that i use their stuff and its the right price.

Eric