Heresy Industrial Ported crossover mods

NBPK402

2 of the 2μf

1 of the 8μf

per box

I highly recommend holding off on caps until you take delivery of them and see what they're physically equipped with. Klipsch used two different styles. Earlier cabs used large can type, where as later versions used potted, radial-lead types.

Being that the HIP is a pro audio speaker and voiced accordingly, what could very easily be mistaken for an excessively bright (or loud) top end responds exceptionally well to a touch of shelving EQ. -3 dB from 500 Hz to 10 kHz is all it took to make my pair sounding very nice.

Besides, there will be other housekeeping items that arguably take precedent over the filter network...like replacement driver-to-horn gaskets for the midrange.

For a couple of bucks, I'd buy and install those first before anything else. That will get you inside the cab where you can then check all the fasteners (in particular the screws holding together the tweeters), check the seals, the terminal block, and inspect for bugs and whatnot.

Congrats on your purchase. Look forward to seeing some photos when you get'em. B)

Edited by Quiet_Hollow
  • Like 1

My HIP looked and sounded dreadful when I got them.

I lowered the taps by one on both my tweeter and mid on my HIP, changed the caps to polypropylene, used 6.8µF for the mid, and a 15Ω 50W swamping resistor. Sounds a lot better (YMMV).

The stock crossover uses the same taps as the LaScala with a type AA with an 8µF instead of the 13µF, and it is too hot for the direct radiator 12 (mine had the EV). Dropping the taps one step means it is about 101dB/W overall.

Edited by djk
  • Like 1

(YMMV)

No doubt, with very little bass to back up the horns they are straight-up LOUD when run flat out of the gate without boundary assistance. The ones I acquired were neither minty, nor completely thrashed like some I've seen...good wear for being gigged, I gather.

This was filmed before I had a chance to completely service them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBqR1vfrnNg

A bit of EQ contouring driven by a home theater receiver...they showed some potential. The more bass I gave them, the less inclined I felt to mess around with the top end. ..and those K-42's will take quite a bit of prodding before they even start to flinch.

Just a touch of EQ, powered by a DC-300AII however, augmented by a horn subwoofer as the cornerstones of a proper 4-way, and they easily lived up to their Heresy name sake. :blink:

One of these days, I'll have to get that on camera too. :emotion-53:

I can't wait to get these and hook them up to my setup... 5.0 with LaScalas. :)

Audyssey will have their response curves sorted out for you, no problem. :emotion-21:

• Like 1

Right now Audyssey is cutting my LaScalas by 6db and adding 4db to my other speakers. I was looking at the graph and it is pumping up the tweeters buy almost 10db above flat. I just hope it doesn't hurt the tweeters since it is trying to pump up an area that the tweeter is not supposed to go to.

Right now Audyssey is cutting my LaScalas by 6db and adding 4db to my other speakers.

That's just the trim settings. To avoid overloading the pre-amp stage or chewing through a whole bunch of offset, the DSP divides the difference between the speaker levels approximately in half. Cutting one a little, and boosting the other a corresponding amount, is mathematically the same as boosting or cutting one channel all in one shot. In this case, making up for the sensitivity deficit of the current surround speakers.

Using the HIP instead will reduce that margin by at least half, if not more. Easier on the amp. :emotion-21:

I was looking at the graph and it is pumping up the tweeters buy almost 10db above flat. I just hope it doesn't hurt the tweeters since it is trying to pump up an area that the tweeter is not supposed to go to.

Are your speakers toe'd-in? or at least pointed somewhat "at the listening position" instead of firing straight down the room? The DSP could be trying to compensate for less than ideal placement.

Edited by Quiet_Hollow
  • Like 1

In light of that, so long as it sounds good to you, then it's good to go. :emotion-29:

It's not like the L,C,R are seeing all that much voltage to begin with. IIRC my La Scala clocked in around 1.5 V at reference level, most of which was showing up in the woofer section.

+10 dB might seem like a fair bit of boosting if taken out of context, but if the tweeter level signal is hovering down below the decimal point, there's nothing to be concerned about. One of the best attributes of owning high-sesitivity speakers is that they afford a very wide margin for shaping the signal.

If there is ever a doubt, using a multimeter across the the different sections of the terminal block will disclose what's actually going on.

• Like 1

With the LaScalas and the HIPs... Audyssey is knocking them all down by 6-9db. :) At least now it isn't boosting any of the speakers. For my current setup I have the speakers (front and rear) in the corners toed in. Hopefully my new sub will be here next week along with a mic, and I will then check the levels of each speaker and run Audyssey again as a 5.1 setup.

Edited by ellisr63

Here is a pic of the crossovers...

8fd05f48-5316-41cc-914c-2ca72a75a053_zps

The caps are little black rectangles. Are they oil and paper ones like my LaScalas but in a different case? I can't make out any markings on them at all. The woofer was made in 1982, so does that make them Heresy IIs?

tia,

Ron

Edited by ellisr63