off-topic: pc paint job (and other useless info)

asudhir

I am overhauling my crappy desktop this summer because I can simply no longer handle the terrible pc. It's specs right now are:

366mhz celeron

some crappy e-machines motherboard

64mb ram

diamond monster fusion zd100 16mb video

crappy on-board crystal audio chip

5gb hard drive

this was originally in an e-machines case, but the power supply they gave with the computer couldn't handle my not-that-much-power-guzzler video card. so i took everything out of the e-crappy case and bought a new one with 250watts power supply. now that i am doing an overhaul, i will keep the current ATX case, but upgrade the power to 350watts. these are the specs I hope to have when i overhaul:

1ghz athlon thunderbird

asus k7 motherboard (i don't remember the model exactly, and i'm too lazy to go find it again)

128mb ram at least, prob 256

same video card as above until i get more dough

sb live! x-gamer 5.1

30gb hard drive

here's the main part of this off-topic post: i plan to give my case a paint job, probably with orange and green color. the reason i have posted this is because i was wondering if there is any certain kind of paint i should use, and whether it is a good idea to do this or not (are there any drawbacks?). i can't wait because my pc will be good and good-looking. i'd appreciate any response.

*zen

for the hard drive make sure you buy an IBM deskstar, they are the fastest by far.

also, the ASUS is a nice mobo, but you should consider the abit one. they are pretty much equal in terms of performance, I originally wanted the abit because I read more reviews favoring it over the ASUS than the opposite for some reason (but it was never decisive, always based on things like price or availability), but when I went to buy the Abit, I realised my super orb would not fit it, so i went with the asus instead. neways, don't stop considering the abit.

why do you want 350 watts? 300 is more than enough, i got a 300 watt AMD approved supply

http://www.computersdivine.com/

I will eventually be painting my case.. not sure quite what color but a nice gloss black comes to mind.

No drawbacks.. great idea

Try searching ard/Forum for ideas on the paint - hope ya find something

------------------

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

-------------------------------------

1GHz TBird

Abit KT7A-RAID

FOP38 & CuShim

Kingmax 256MB PC150

Annihilator2 32MB GTS

Intel Pro100+Management NIC

Promise Ultra100

IBM 75GXP 45GB ATA100 & Maxtor DMP6800 27.2GB ATA66

Plextor 16X10X40A Sony 12X DVD

SBLive! 5.1

AOpen HX08 Full Tower 300W

Sony CPD-G400 19" Triny

ProMedia 4.1

seb,

the reason for the 350 watts is because i am a big gamer, and in the future i will be buying a top-of-the-line video card that i guarantee will demand a lot of power. i am subscribed to pcgamer, and i have read lots articles pertaining to making sure you have enough power for a high-end graphics card. for example, the ge-force ultra cards require a decent amount of power. and in the past, like i said before, my video card was the reason for my system crashing because of the lack of power. but thank you for reminding me...i am going to ask a friend, who just built his computer with a new graphics card and ask how his power supply is doing.

everyone else thanks for your help.

*zen

Well asudhir, since i've been making sings for about 15 yrs. now (give or take), i feel i might be able to point you in the good dir.

First off, lightly sand the surface you wish to paint (400 grit sandppr or similar). Be carefull about the dust (dust gets everywhere)

Then with a damp cloth wipe the surface clean as best you can.

Use a cleaner that removes grease ie. windex or somth. (greasy finger prints can ruin a paint job)

For the type of paint i would recomend waterbased acrylics. (easy to clean and doesn't smell so offensive)

If you want to put the effort in to it i would suggest you use an acrylic primer first. (it really makes the paint stick better and makes it tougher and last longer)

Use brushes, tape an x-acto knife(to cut designs with) especially an airbrush if you have access to one biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Check the labels on the paint containers to see the recommended surfaces (it's a good indication to how it will perform. Might stick for a while but if it's not the right stuff it wont last)

Hope i gave you some helpfull tips, if you got other quest. on painting feel free to ask.

• Like 1