NEW POLL: Should forums be moderated for content?

Chad

Should Forums be moderated for content?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should Forums be moderated for content? (moving to other forums based on relevancy)

• Yes, strictly (requires more work, but keeps things nice and super-tidy)
    • Yes, loosely (requires less work, and not as strict, but helps keep forums relevant)
    • Not at all (keeps forums open to topic relevancy, reducing need to click around but adds potential noise to weed through)

• Administrators

Hi gang,

You may have noticed a bunch of topics here and in some of the other forums with a left arrow next to them. That means the topic has been moved. Most of the threads like that have been moved to the Off Topic forum, because that's where they belong. The left-arrow threads are temporary placeholders that link to the thread in its new home. (The placeholders disappear after 14 days to keep things tidy)

You can help your fellow Audio nut by keeping your topics here and in the other forum relevant to the Forum Title. This particular forum is for general Klipsch questions that don't fit in the other, more specific forums. It helps us by not having to move so many.

Thanks for your help.

Chad

EDIT: Since this seems to be a controversial subject to some (I'm not really sure why it's SO controversial, but I digress), I though I'd open it up to a poll to get a general consensus. It's an unscientific poll, mind you.... So vote away!

Edited by ChadW
  • Like 3

Allow me to ask a stupid question if you will as I've seen this occur in other forums. Other than the fact that threads "should be" in another area, why is it critical that they actually be there? I guess I'm asking why threads have to be monitored and moved. Seems like a lot of work to do something that hasn't happened here in the past. Just curious.

• Like 2

So what you're saying is that our goof-ball, loony-tunes, banteresque subjects need to be initiated in the 'off topic' arena -AND- if we should errantly place them here (or in any erroneous forum) that they will get 'left arrow' dissed and relocated? And after 14 days they will poof-evaporate from their original locations?

And you are the ultimate decider of the official 'topic to forum' relevancy............

Forum members should review what is already in the 'off topic' forum because many of our favorite long term threads are now located there and not here.

Thnx for the direction and update.

• Like 1

OK, I guess I wasn't paying attention. We have an off-topic forum now I presume. The General forum is now a Klipsch info forum. In the past, anything that was for everybody went into the General forum. Somebody dies, something funny, yada yada... Now we need to go to the off-topic.

I would like to make a request. Will you please consider renaming the off-topic forum to something a bit more friendly? It sounds like a punishment. How about something like General Discussion Area. Am I being a sissy?

After some pondering, I have one more request. Since the off-topic forum is 3 pages down in the forum list, it seems to be unimportant. In the past, posts that are important to the Klipsch forum family are posted in the General area. Posts about deaths, sickness, and other tragedies as well as good news, get together announcements, announcements by non-moderators were posted there. These are not off-topic to me. they are the most pertinent posts that happen here. I don't feel relegating that forum to page 3 of the forum list is a good fit to this community of friends. Would you consider creating a forum within "Klipsch Home Audio" topic for Member Announcements or something like that? I don't know why I am being so sensitive about this, but I guess it makes sense that the new forum layout did relegate the important personal posts to an extremely subordinate position.

Edit: How about a Member Announcements in the Announcements area at the very top?

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

OK, I guess I wasn't paying attention. We have an off-topic forum now I presume. The General forum is now a Klipsch info forum. In the past, anything that was for everybody went into the General forum. Somebody dies, something funny, yada yada... Now we need to go to the off-topic.

I would like to make a request. Will you please consider renaming the off-topic forum to something a bit more friendly? It sounds like a punishment. How about something like General Discussion Area. Am I being a sissy?

So general is Klipsch topics that don't fit anywhere else and Off Topic is everything else that use to be in the General section?????

• Like 1

What Chad is doing makes sense, but like all, I'll need to adjust my thinking from "General" to "General Klipsch." I also agree that "Off Topic" is maybe not the best name since that term is usually reserved by net users for, well, "off topic" comments to a specific thread.

Anyway, he can call it "Macaroni" and we'll adjust... :D

Dave

• Moderators

Hey CECAA850,

Don't sweat the petty things. ;)

Chad is new to the forum and is cleaning things up as it makes sense to him. I think it's nice to have a fresh perspective from someone who hasn't been hanging out here for a decade or more.

We will either adjust to the changes, or if they just don't make sense, reorganize them again until it does. Nothing here is set in stone!

• Administrators
So general is Klipsch topics that don't fit anywhere else and Off Topic is everything else that use to be in the General section?????

Here's a tip, the forums are divided into categories.

Use the categories as guidelines for what is in the forums contained within. This is really how most good forum communities (avsforum.com for a familiar example) work. And as Amy said, nothing is set into stone. Some forums may be combined over time, or separated out, depending on how things go organically. For instance, this morning I combined the Computer and Gaming forums.

• Like 1

This sounds/reads like some unnecessary and confusing turmoil. One person's "cleaning things up" can be another's path to confusion. Reading the posts above makes this clear. It doesn't sound like many people thought something was broken that needed fixing.

I suggest leaving things the way they were until a problem is better identified.

• Like 2

Chad,

I'm sure that everyone can figure out this little change in addition to the others during the massive changeover to a complete software rehosting (something that I wouldn't relish doing myself). Thanks for all the changes. It's amazing to me that an audio company would foot the bill for such a wonderful forum of this magnitude, and even take a large part in moderating it - which is a significant expense for a company the size of Klipsch.

No biggie, in fact I believe that it's actually more descriptive of the thread topics found there: non-audio non-Klipsch topics. I'm sure that most of the guys here also have Facebook pages... :blink:

Chris

Edited by Cask05

• Administrators

This sounds/reads like some unnecessary and confusing turmoil. One person's "cleaning things up" can be another's path to confusion. Reading the posts above makes this clear. It doesn't sound like many people thought something was broken that needed fixing.

I suggest leaving things the way they were until a problem is better identified.

I get it. But consider this:

A random visitor who has never been to the Klipsch Forums before lands here. He has a general question about a Klipsch product that he can't remember the name of, only vaguely the timeframe of when it was on the market. First thing he does is go to the General Klipsch Questions & Info forum, to see if anyone might be talking about something similar, maybe he can learn something. Imagine his confusion when, while expecting a bunch of topics about Klipsch products/history/what-have-you, he sees:

post-1-0-91320000-1383245180_thumb.jpg

And immediately gets turned off to the forums and leaves.

So, instead of a potential thread and conversation about something relevant to the sub-forum (where others would benefit), we get nothing.

Or, we could just keep things noisy, thereby reducing the chance of forum growth.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Chad is abrasive. And grouchy. And downright mean. He is a programmer, after all. I mean, really, look at him!!

10594351525_03247d11c6_c.jpg

However, I think he knows what he's doing. We just might keep him around.

:) :) :)

• Like 1