NEW POLL: Should forums be moderated for content?

Chad

Should Forums be moderated for content?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should Forums be moderated for content? (moving to other forums based on relevancy)

• Yes, strictly (requires more work, but keeps things nice and super-tidy)
    • Yes, loosely (requires less work, and not as strict, but helps keep forums relevant)
    • Not at all (keeps forums open to topic relevancy, reducing need to click around but adds potential noise to weed through)

• Moderators

Ok, kids. Let me make sure I understand. Here are the changes that Chad has made without consulting anyone. Like the rogue he is....

• General Questions has been changed to General Klipsch Questions. Has not moved.
  • Two topics have been created and moved to Other Areas of Interest:
  1. Sports
  2. What's on your mind
  • Music and Movies and Computers and Gaming have always been down in Other areas of Interest, except it was called "Entertainment" before.

Those are the only changes I see. Correct? Is the issue only that two new topics were created, or is the issue that they have been moved down? Should we just move them back up?

Please enlighten me. I'm here to help, and to undo all the evil things Chad has done to our utopian community.

;)

Amy is that just a hint of sarcasm I detect....lol...Messin' with this forum is (to some) tantamount to making disparaging remarks about their kids, or worse criticizing their choice of vehicle. Go ahead make the changes, we'll all get over it in about 30 minutes. It's a forum, not like it's real life now is it!!... :) .

• Moderators

Amy is that just a hint of sarcasm I detect....lol...Messin' with this forum is (to some) tantamount to making disparaging remarks about their kids, or worse criticizing their choice of vehicle. Go ahead make the changes, we'll all get over it in about 30 minutes. It's a forum, not like it's real life now is it!!... :) .

You can see right though me. Part sincere, part sarcasm. If the changes don't make sense, of course I'm happy to change them back. Or come up with something that works. :) But it really hasn't changed all that much.

For me it is 2 issues.......... 1st is the redefinition of posting categories with one so cherished now being reassigned in scope and purpose (I'd suggest 'hodgepodge' in place of 'off-topic').

2nd is the active oversight of a moderator redigesting threads and - with all the best of intentions, relocating them.

Whether a new or old member, they should be afforded enough respect to choose where they decide to place their forum contributions. This reshuffling of posts seems a tad intrusive, somewhat judgmental and approaching insulting. Previously we had moderation to control subject and tone within some clear civil boundaries. Now we have that and an involuntary discussion flight director. Yay, I feel like I am 3 years old again.

A suggestion: If a post seriously seems like it would benefit from being viewed in more than one forum arena then double post them. As a courtesy - blend posts into other forums where they might be better served. But remove this quasi-dictatorial stance of saying you are wrong to have placed this thread 'here' and - I corrected it - by moving it 'here'.

I agree with the first part of this.

However, I don't think it's a good idea to post a thread in more than one place, because replies get lost because they are now in one place but not another, not read by all followers of the subject because of multiple locations, and very hard to find again. You'd have to read all the repeated threads every time to see all the replies.

This is also why I don't agree with inventing new forums and forum titles, since threads are no longer located where people are used to seeing them and easier to lose or track. And you sure as heck will be confused if there are too many forums. Still seems like trying to fix something that wasn't broke.

• Like 1

No matter how wonderful he is, and he is both as a person and as a programmer, when a person moves into a leading role in a bunch like us who've worn out many chairs in this place, shared our lives together, mourned and celebrated together, and come to virtual blows at times, it's going to take a while.

I just did a quick re-org concept that would shorten the home page a bit as well as perhaps be a bit more comfy.

Right this Minute (To my knowledge, the only thread of its type on the web)

Announcements/Events

Klipsch Home Audio

2 Channel

Home Theater

Updates/Mods

Architectural

Powered Subwoofers

General Klipsch

Galleries

HT Showcase

Audio Systems

Misc Pix

Klipsch Personal Audio (As Is-I never used it, so have no opinion)

Klipsch Pro Audio & Touring

Klipsch Pro

Touring

Other Areas of Interest

General/Lounge (Sports, Gaming, Beer, Weather…whatever)

Electronics

General Vintage
Technical

Garage Sale

Frazier (FUG thread)

Hidden (Stuff only visible to you guys or authorized persons, dealers, etc. Otherwise, nothing would show here)

Just some thoughts...

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 1

No matter how wonderful he is, and he is both as a person and as a programmer, when a person moves into a leading role in a bunch like us who've worn out many chairs in this place, shared our lives together, mourned and celebrated together, and come to virtual blows at times, it's going to take a while.

I just did a quick re-org concept that would shorten the home page a bit as well as perhaps be a bit more comfy.

Right this Minute (To my knowledge, the only thread of its type on the web)

Announcements/Events

Klipsch Home Audio

2 Channel

Home Theater

Updates/Mods

Architectural

Powered Subwoofers

General Klipsch

Galleries

HT Showcase

Audio Systems

Misc Pix

Klipsch Personal Audio (As Is-I never used it, so have no opinion)

Klipsch Pro Audio & Touring

Klipsch Pro

Touring

Other Areas of Interest

General/Lounge (Sports, Gaming, Beer, Weather…whatever)

Electronics

General Vintage

Garage Sale

Frazier (FUG thread)

Hidden (Stuff only visible to you guys or authorized persons)

Just some thoughts...

Dave

I think this looks good, but I would also keep the thread Technical Questions & Info

which you left out.

Ok, kids. Let me make sure I understand. Here are the changes that Chad has made without consulting anyone. Like the rogue he is....

• General Questions has been changed to General Klipsch Questions. Has not moved.
  1. Sports
  2. What's on your mind
  • Music and Movies and Computers and Gaming have always been down in Other areas of Interest, except it was called "Entertainment" before.

Those are the only changes I see. Correct? Is the issue only that two new topics were created, or is the issue that they have been moved down? Should we just move them back up?

Please enlighten me. I'm here to help, and to undo all the evil things Chad has done to our utopian community.

;)

For me the issue is the General being changed to General Klipsch, and demoting non-Klipsch posts to off-topic which is way down the menu. The best course of action would be to simply leave the general section alone or change it to allow important member posts only. There is nothing wrong with an off-topic forum that I can think of. I suppose if somebody in my family dies I can say they died and I buried them in a Khorn. That wouldn't be relocated. ;)

1. Sports
  2. What's on your mind

;)

With all due respect. I don't care for Chad's opening statement about moving things to the "Off Topic" forum. We are not children and have been doing fine without this intervention. Although not a child, I can't seem to find the "Off Topic" forum. Maybe you can help?

I enjoy the Banter that is often placed in the various threads under the various topics. Even if it is "Off Topic"

I realize that this forum is sponsored by Klipsch, but a lot of us have other gear that is not Klipsch. (wish all my speakers were)

I think it is unrealistic to restrict where we might post our questions or comments, and then have someone decide that they need to be moved. I love the Off Topic things I find throughout the different categories. Without these I believe the forum would become less enticing to read. I have seen pictures of someones new boat, new baby and family, questions as to which firearm the fellow forum members would suggest. (Now referred to as Brooms for the sake of the sensitive). There have been interesting stories told that I enjoyed even if they were off topic. These off topic subjects make me feel like part of a big family and I like it.

I also feel that Technical Questions & Info should not be restricted to Klipsch products. Again some, if not most, have some gear that is not Klipsch. Technical Questions & Info, in my opinion should be open to all Technical Questions & Info. This seemed to work well in the past. Again I realize that Klipsch is sponsoring this forum, but lets make it friendly to all. I have suggested to my nephew who is in the military to check out this site and ask questions prior to buying any stereo gear. I promised he would get good friendly advice here, and I believe he will.

I noticed that the new system does not indicate to me if I have read a thread or not. The old system would indicate that I had read it until someone added a post on the thread, I found this to be very handy.

I'll get off my soap box now. But I do want to thank YOU for the help you gave me when I was first starting on the forum.

"Hi gang,

You may have noticed a bunch of topics here and in some of the other forums with a left arrow next to them. That means the topic has been moved. Most of the threads like that have been moved to the Off Topic forum, because that's where they belong. The left-arrow threads are temporary placeholders that link to the thread in its new home. (The placeholders disappear after 14 days to keep things tidy)

You can help your fellow Audio nut by keeping your topics here and in the other forum relevant to the Forum Title. This particular forum is for general Klipsch questions that don't fit in the other, more specific forums. It helps us by not having to move so many.

Thanks for your help.

Chad"

Edited by John W. Henderson
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Oy vey.

Some people are really sensitive to this subject, even though I already said to "carry on" (meaning, "as you were")....

So I opened this up to a poll (scroll up).

• Like 1

If you have a search feature that works, then you don't need any categorization.....Google saw this years ago when they created Gmail. Not to say some categorization is bad, but I would suggest it should be used as little as possible - especially in a social situation.

Just so I can be annoying...Gmail added categorization a couple months ago. Primary, Social and Promotions.

Haha ya, and there's tags too which I believe can behave like folders if you like. I've gotten so used to Gmail search that I can never find anything in outlook at work. I would love for the forum search to be as useful.....there's tons of information around here. To be honest, it gets a bit old rehashing the same topics over and over again....I'm not surprised there is more off topic threads these days.

Just outta curiosity, have you guys done any formal market research on the business case for newcomers visiting the forum? I think that would be the ultimate acid test for these discussions.

Well, Amy, Chad, and all... (Sigh).

Seems, at least, the poll is trending towards some degree of what we've had in the past and has worked for us with well with Amy being Sheriff. I've said this before, and always qualify it as TRVTH and not an attempt to flatter, but in all the years she's run the place I've yet to see a single decision that I seriously questioned.

My own suggestion above about a streamlining and organization wasn't a "anybody can see this is the way it ought to be" thing but a simple attempt to suggest from the peanut gallery a strawman for debate. With my experience, I knew it would draw flies and, of course, there was at least one immediate "what the heck makes you think you know anything."

I think Chad is extraordinary and all will work out as he gets used to the inmates and Amy shares her wisdom in the subtle and warm way she does and always has.

Change is good, but always disruptive. Frankly, I don't think it could be any better than it has.

Dave

I voted Number 3, no moderation at all. I am a superorganized person but find that a less organized forum allows for more organic growth of the forum. Here is why.

I like off topic posts because otherwise I would not have seen them, and if I was new here I would not take the time to find these posts. I barely do now and I like it here. I have been here for over 10 years and never really looked below the General section.

My behavior here is that I am getting my coffee in the morning, or I need a break from work, and I go through the Garage Sale, then Technical, 2 Channel, Updates and General. If I do not see anything of interest I am done. There is usually a bunch of traffic and something, completely on topic or off topic that is of interest. I do not spend the time to go through other subforums.

Every once in a while I see a "moved post" on a different website forum and think, wow, I didn't even know that this other section exists and I am very interested in the topic. That looks really interesting and I would really like to know more. But I almost never take the time to go check it out because I am not motivated to do so because I am not as involved in the other sites. Or maybe I check out the topic, but I never go back to the sub-forum. I just forget about it. So my traffic at other forums stays at a minimum. This is the only forum where I really get involved. My behavior here is different because there is always soemthing interesting here, audio or not. And because of my loyalty, guess what speakers I always reccomend being the "expert" to non-audio folks that I know.

In the past, for sale ads were taking over in 2 Channel and Garage Sale was created. Then Alerts was created because there were so many "hey look at this 3rd party ad" posts. Then "Right This Minute" was created because Thebes just had to clogg up 2 Channel. :sad: (Thebes ruins everything. My new motto - Ban Thebes!! :angry:. Chad, please start a new sub-forum named "Reasons to Ban Thebes." It should catch on).

So there has been a default policy here of "create a new subforum when the traffic of the particular subject is sufficient to warrant its own suforum." This has kept traffic up in the other forums and kept it intersting here. Forums are no fun if they are not getting new posts every day.

I also offer an opposing argument regarding a newby here. They come to check out speakers and find a whole world of interesting unrelated topics that they would have otherwise not found. They are very likely to come back because this place is so interesting.

BTW, Chad, don't take any of this or anyone else's posts wrong. Debate almost always creates better results and you are doing a great job.