RF-7 ii blew up my receiver?

quakana

I just went and bought new speaker wire...rewired them and as soon as I turn on the receiver the speakers make a loud static like sound and the receiver displays "protected" on the screen and shut down....could there be something wrong with the crossovers in the speaker(s) ?

I just went and bought new speaker wire...rewired them and as soon as I turn on the receiver the speakers make a loud static like sound and the receiver displays "protected" on the screen and shut down....could there be something wrong with the crossovers in the speaker(s) ?

Are you using JUST the top terminals or JUST the bottom terminals on the speakers with the jumper plates in tact?

Are you using JUST the top terminals or JUST the bottom terminals on the speakers with the jumper plates in tact?

Yes, and everything is connected perfectly. 12 gauge wire this time....the receiver does the same thing with speakers disconnected. I think I blew it up....the receiver did not seem to drive these all that well....no where near what the KSF-10.5 sounded like......so Increased the volume until they started to drive and the receiver went on me....

Yes, and everything is connected perfectly. 12 gauge wire this time....the receiver does the same thing with speakers disconnected. I think I blew it up....the receiver did not seem to drive these all that well....no where near what the KSF-10.5 sounded like......so Increased the volume until they started to drive and the receiver went on me....

When you say speakers disconnected... Do you mean at the receiver end? If so you definitely have a problem with the receiver imo. If not I have one more question... Are the jumper plates installed correctly? If the jumper plates were jumping the left and right posts instead of the top and bottom you would definitely have a short.

Edited by ellisr63
  • Like 1

When you say speakers disconnected... Do you mean at the receiver end? If so you definitely have a problem with the receiver imo.

Yea at the receiver end...I know I sound like 1/2 an idiot....or a full one actually but I've been doing this stuff for years and never came across this. The receiver is toast. Any idea why it took so much to get the speakers up to a decent volume....enough volume to POP the receiver? I think i remember seeing around "50" volume wise on the sony before they popped....speakers were not all that loud...drivers were hardly moving

When you say speakers disconnected... Do you mean at the receiver end? If so you definitely have a problem with the receiver imo.

Yea at the receiver end...I know I sound like 1/2 an idiot....or a full one actually but I've been doing this stuff for years and never came across this. The receiver is toast. Any idea why it took so much to get the speakers up to a decent volume....enough volume to POP the receiver? I think i remember seeing around "50" volume wise on the sony before they popped....speakers were not all that loud...drivers were hardly moving

No you don't sound like an idiot. There is just a process of elimination and everyone is just trying to throw out ideas as to what the problem is.

Do you have any other speakers you could hookup just to test? I am wondering if there is a short in the new speakers. I wouldn't think the Sony would have any problem driving the speakers unless something just failed.

No you don't sound like an idiot. There is just a process of elimination and everyone is just trying to throw out ideas as to what the problem is.

Do you have any other speakers you could hookup just to test? I am wondering if there is a short in the new speakers. I wouldn't think the Sony would have any problem driving the speakers unless something just failed.

Thank You :) So I had the KSF-10.5 hooked up right before I installed the RF-7ii's .....had been for years....Manual from the receiver stated to leave unplugged for 30 minutes and it would reset...didn't work...I'll try anothe receiver but Im nervous...might send them back...sucks

Edited by quakana

Leave it unplugged overnight and then try your old speakers. I am thinking you might have a defective speaker or speakers that caused the amp to short and die.... Strange thing is I would have thought the receiver would have had a fuse to protect itself.

Edited by ellisr63

Leave it unplugged overnight and then try your old speakers. I am thinking you might have a defective speaker or speakers that caused the amp to short and die.... Strange thing is I would have thought the receiver would have had a fuse to protect itself.

Yes Im sorry the fuse did blow, and I replaced it and am now having this issue

Does the receiver even power up anymore? When I have had problems with a receiver... Sometimes I have just found to leave it unplugged overnight to make sure all the circuits have completely drained. I know it is most likely overkill but it has worked when leaving it unplugged for a short period of time has not. Double check to make sure the receiver didn't blow the fuse again or possibly have another fuse somewhere that has also blown. I hope this helps you.

The fuse is exactly the same type and value... Correct?

Edited by ellisr63

Maybe the RF-7ii is a bit too much load for that AV receiver. I'll I can find is that the Sony puts out 110 watts into 8 ohms.

I (think) the RF-7ii dips below 8 ohms at lower frequencies.

Did the AV receiver seem hot after it shutdown?

Can you try a different receiver, amp or integrated amp with RF-7iis?

Maybe the RF-7ii is a bit too much load for that AV receiver. I'll I can find is that the Sony puts out 110 watts into 8 ohms.

I (think) the RF-7ii dips below 8 ohms at lower frequencies.

Did the AV receiver seem hot after it shutdown?

Can you try a different receiver, amp or integrated amp with RF-7iis?

Only had the RF's powered up for like 1 minute while turining the volume up....receiver was not hot at all....I will try an old yamaha in a bit

Does the receiver even power up anymore? When I have had problems with a receiver... Sometimes I have just found to leave it unplugged overnight to make sure all the circuits have completely drained. I know it is most likely overkill but it has worked when leaving it unplugged for a short period of time has not. Double check to make sure the receiver didn't blow the fuse again or possibly have another fuse somewhere that has also blown. I hope this helps you.

the receiver powers up,but then displays "protecting" for a few seconds then power down...fuse is same value (fast blow 6.3 amp) and is still working

the receiver powers up,but then displays "protecting" for a few seconds then power down...fuse is same value (fast blow 6.3 amp) and is still working

I had a Denon reciever that did the same thing, it was right after a rain and I figured lightning ran in on it. I took it to two different repair shops and neither of them got it fixed. I hope you have better luck than I did figuring it out.