3-Channel Amp Recommendations

J M O N

Hello,

I am looking for a three-channel amp for home theater use only. The amp would be powering heritage speakers (Klipschorns, Belle, etc.). The amp can provide more than three-channels, but I will only be using three of them and I don't need much power. I would also prefer a black faceplate to match the rest of my gear.

The amp that I have been looking for is the Classe CAV-75. This amp doesn't seem to come up for sale very much anymore. The CAV-150 would also be fine although it is more expensive and has more power which is not needed. I'd like to keep the price in the $1000 range or less and of course am willing to buy used.

Does anyone have any other good recommendations that would go well with Klipsch Heritage?

Thanks!

Many have recommended the Acurus A200x3 amp. They sell for around $400 used. I love my 5ch Parasound so you could also look into a Parasound HCA-2003a (220 x 3) amp. B&K also makes some great 3ch amps as well.

My buddy, and forum member Jeff Tubbs(jtubbs) should be putting up his B&K Reference 4430(200w/ch) for sale any time soon. This is a wonderful amp and "should" still be in great shape. He bought this amp from me close to two years ago and is looking to replace it only because he recently picked up an Anthem 5-channel amp and is trying to buy the matching 2-channel Anthem from another forum brother.

If that does not work out, as mentioned by Youthman, the Acurus A200x3(and older 200x3)is an excellent amp that will add punch and detail to your front soundstage. I have a first generation 200x3 that I may have for sale on the forum if an interested local guy passes on it.

Bill

I am looking for a three-channel amp for home theater use only. The amp would be powering heritage speakers (Klipschorns, Belle, etc.). The amp can provide more than three-channels, but I will only be using three of them and I don't need much power. I would also prefer a black faceplate to match the rest of my gear.

Does anyone have any other good recommendations that would go well with Klipsch Heritage?

Thanks!

Rereading your post, the B&K I suggested will mate much better with your Heritage speakers than the Acurus. The B&K has a silky sweet warmish tone that matches better than the neutral/brightish(only 1st generation Acurus on the "brighter side") Acurus. But again you may like a neutral/brightish tone for HT like I do.

Bill

Edited by willland

Thanks for the suggestions. Acurus was the second brand I was thinking of. In fact, I found they make the A100x3 amp that seems like it would fit the bill even better than the A200x3. B&K was another consideration.

I may have an Acurus A100x3 for sale also. I am moving some things around and it just may come available. I'll let you know.

Bill

Sounds good Bill. Let me know if you decide to sell it and what you think you would be asking for it.

I need to take some photos of the A100x3 and I will try to send them through a PM. I'll let you know about price also.

I also have the matching 2-channel Acurus A100 that may be available. Here is a photo of it.

Bill

post-24680-0-11160000-1383997131_thumb.j

3 of these http://outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html. They should provide good quality sound across the board. They stay in a class A/B at lower volumes but have a switching power supply that instantaneously jump voltage rails when more power is needed. I want to get 2 of these to power the bottom end of my rf-7's but that will come in time.

3 channel amps are on the rare side of things. The only time you would need it is for HT. I do know they exist but they are far from "common". The next best alternative is mono's as i suggested above or from the plethora of other manufacturers.

Edited by SuBXeRo

Mcintosh 7106 can be found on ebay in your price range. 6 channels @ 100 watt per @8 ohm or bridged 3 channels @ 300 watt @8ohm. Always been happy with mine. BTW it has a black glass faceplate.

Thanks for that recommendation. I hadn't even thought about McIntosh -- figured that would likely be above my desired price. I wonder how it would compare with Classe. I know I really like how Classe sounds on Klipsch heritage (for solid state amp at least).