Heresy HIP

NBPK402

I now have a pair of Heresy Industrial HIP speakers for my surround speakers... Until my Triax comes in I will be sub less with 3 LaScalas in front and the Heresy Industrials in the rear. When I looked them up I had saw that Klipsch had them listed @101db but when I looked at the back it says they are 92db. Does anyone know what the efficiency really is? These appear to be even lower efficiency than the standard Heresy and they are ported.

You could put one of the HIPs beside on of your La Scalas, with its cable still connected, if it will reach. Check the level of the La Scala so it matches the other Scala, then switch to the HIP and do the level check again.

That way, if you look at the setting, you'll be able to see the difference between the big speaker and the little speaker. La Scalas are rated at 104 dB, so once you know the difference, you'll have an idea of the number for the HIP speaker.

• Like 1

Does anyone know what the efficiency really is?

They are right around the 100 mark, conservatively speaking.

92 dB SPL @ 1 watt is their whole-space sensitivity (when flown) from 3 meters (~10ft) away. :emotion-29:

If you use the inverse square law formula and back that SPL number into a standard 1-meter value, it'll come out to 101.8 :blink: And that's not even taking into account boundary loading when at ground zero or near a wall. :emotion-55:

These appear to be even lower efficiency than the standard Heresy and they are ported.

:lol: That would be a resounding NO.

• Like 1

WOoHoo!! thanks for the info!

You're welcome. You took the same path to a 5.1 setup as I did. That's why I can provide you with these details.

Should I mount them upside down close to the ceiling and angle down to get the spl up?

If they are going to be mounted against the ceiling, then yes, upside down is a better way to orientate them. In the case of the HIP, boundary loading only helps below ~250Hz...so it's not necessarily placing them to get the SPL up any higher. It's more a matter of maintaining what performance they already have.

Keeping them near a wall or ceiling is big assist in that regard.

Does the 3-6db wall/corner rule also go for the LaScalas?

Boundary loading applies to all speakers below their baffle-step frequency, La Scala included.

• Like 1

WOoHoo!! thanks for the info!

You're welcome. You took the same path to a 5.1 setup as I did. That's why I can provide you with these details.

Should I mount them upside down close to the ceiling and angle down to get the spl up?

If they are going to be mounted against the ceiling, then yes, upside down is a better way to orientate them. In the case of the HIP, boundary loading only helps below ~250Hz...so it's not necessarily placing them to get the SPL up any higher. It's more a matter of maintaining what performance they already have.

Keeping them near a wall or ceiling is big assist in that regard.

Does the 3-6db wall/corner rule also go for the LaScalas?

Boundary loading applies to all speakers below their baffle-step frequency, La Scala included.

Thanks again.... What are you using for a sub?

You just run one?

Yes...a slim, 12" driver version.

I was thinking of building a hornloaded sub but then I won the Triax. I hope the Triax will be enough.

That's cool. Triax is a beast. :blink: Nice score! :emotion-22:

I'm pretty sure you'll be just fine in the SPL department.

If not could I still build one and use the Triax too?

Unfortunately, no....but once again, you'll be GTG with what you've got.

• Like 1