Tube Amp for Cornwall II

RonW.

It is impossible for someone to tell you what amp will sound best to your ears. Much depends on the size and characteristics of your room, how loudly you listen, how far from the speakers you sit, what type of music you listen to, and lots more! I've built amps for Cornwall users with as little as a half watt per channel output, while for others 25 watts/channel wasn't enough. Also, the sound of tube amps can vary significantly depending on the type of circuit used, the quality of the output transformers, and even the tubes themselves. The only way to make a judgment is to try to listen to different tube amps in your system- some dealers will let you take an amp home for an audition. Alternatively, some dealers sell amps with a money back guarantee. Take your time and don't rush into a purchase that you may regret after!

Maynard

• Like 2

It is impossible for someone to tell you what amp will sound best to your ears. Much depends on the size and characteristics of your room, how loudly you listen, how far from the speakers you sit, what type of music you listen to, and lots more! I've built amps for Cornwall users with as little as a half watt per channel output, while for others 25 watts/channel wasn't enough. Also, the sound of tube amps can vary significantly depending on the type of circuit used, the quality of the output transformers, and even the tubes themselves. The only way to make a judgment is to try to listen to different tube amps in your system- some dealers will let you take an amp home for an audition. Alternatively, some dealers sell amps with a money back guarantee. Take your time and don't rush into a purchase that you may regret after!

Maynard

whoa...I think Ron is looking for some suggestions?

whoa...I think Ron is looking for some suggestions?

I could recommend 50 amps which sound excellent with Cornwalls ( to my ears) spanning a budget of a couple of hundred to many thousands of dollars. What good will that do Ron? Case in point, and a true story- a local audiophile who has two pairs of CWs, and who typically listens at 100-110db at his listening chair, wanted a new amp. Some guy he knows, who also has CWs, recommended one of the Prima Luna products (because to his ears there's no better amp on the planet to use with CWs), so he got a pair from a dealer who offered to take them back if he wasn't satisfied. The next day he brought them back because he thought the sound was more awful than what he heard with a cheap solid state receiver. Next, he brought home a Rogue Stereo 90 to try, and he liked it so much that he kept it. See my point? It's like asking for a recommendation of what car to buy. Unless you drive it yourself there's no way to know if you're going to like it. I don't think I can explain this more clearly. What would you say to Ron if, based on your recommendation, he bought the same amps that you have and couldn't stand the sound?

Well, first off I am looking for suggestions of what would pair well with the CW II's. Secondly, this kind of purchase will take me a long time of digging, reading and trying to find what is right for me. Also in my situation it will take even longer as my gear has been in storage and I have not heard it in a very long time and when I hooked it all up - no output.

My Carver M500t is being upgraded to MK II status and about two weeks away, the Carver 4000t was also refreshed reading and waiting. The rest of my gear will be refreshed at a later date.

So now I'm looking into tube amps which I'm not very educated in so I will need some help. Not wanting to break the bank as I know tube gear can get into the $$,$$$.$$ of dollars I need to take baby steps and work my way into this new realm.

Thanks

RonW.

Ron, in general, any tube amp of reasonable quality will work well with CWs. But, the definition of "working well" is the factor that only your ears can judge. Some listeners like a brighter sound which would be favored by a pentode based unit. Those looking for ultimate smoothness would prefer a triode design. Before anything else, set your budget for the amp- that will greatly narrow the choices. Also, decide if you want something new with a factory warranty, or if you want to take the gamble of buying a vintage amp which could cost you significant $$$ if certain parts fail (even restored amps are known to fail as a result of unknown abuses in past years of service.) If you post a description of what I mentioned in my post above regarding your room, listening taste, etc., that will help to determine how much power you are likely to need. Also, decide on the features that you want- i.e. do you want an amp with a phono stage? Do you require multiple inputs, or do you only listen to a single source? That will further narrow the choices.

Maynard

Thanks....

My listening space is 18'x26' with a cathedral ceiling starting at 12' and goes up to 28' with my Corns sitting in the corners on the 18' wall. My listening preference is old school rock n roll, classic rock, blues and on occasion some metal when I really want to rock out. I know that the CW are really efficient at 101db 1 watt.... My Carver really pushed the CW with 250 wpc and I also have an old Sansui that will get 110 db out of the Corns.

So what kind of tube amp power would I need to sound pretty decent based on the above criteria?

Thanks again....

RonW.

Wow, you have some cubic footage there Ron!!! You're definitely going to need some muscle to achieve the spls you indicated. I'd look at amps rated for at least 50 wpc, and possibly double that to pick up an extra 3 db in headroom. Rogue Audio has some highly regarded high power tube amps, but I have never heard them (except for the Stereo 90 which I only like in triode mode- not enough power for you that way) and don't know the pricing. You may also want to check out some vintage Conrad-Johnson and Audio Research equipment. Lafayette Radio made an amp, the LA550, which is a true winner with CWs (imo), but finding a pristine specimen which has been restored properly will cost you as much, or more, than something new. You have certainly narrowed the field but, unfortunately, when it comes to tubes power gets very costly very quickly. Also, when getting into higher power, one often has to go with a separate preamp and power amp which will add to your expense. A budget of 2-5 grand wouldn't be out of line for top quality gear. One last suggestion is to check out Yaqin amps. Although made in China they have had a good reputation and are priced somewhat more attractively than some of the competing equipment which is not made in Asia. And, so you can see the contrast in listening styles and tastes, I now listen exclusively in the near field which often requires less than 1 wpc to achieve the levels which I enjoy!

Maynard

Edited by tube fanatic
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have CW II's with upgraded xovers from Aletheia, ti tweets from Bob and Eminence kappa C woofers. I drive them with a Audion sterling EL34 class a 12 wpc amp and Love it. Theres one on audio mart currently. I'd also suggest taking a look at ampsandsound.com I heard their stereo 15 on my rig which sounded great too.

Ron,

I am also a newbie with tubes and purchased one without doing extensive research. I also spoke to Maynard and I can say on my end with a cheapie Chinese amp I purchased that it falls short on being able to push the speakers as loud as I like. It doesn't sound bad at all in near field listening, but I don't have enough power in the amp to push the music as loud as I like to or have the deep bass I like. I listen to similar music as you do and with some tube amps, they are not geared towards this type of music and some will actually say that. 

If you go with a lower watted amp, it will break up before hitting the sound levels you may listen,as I also like my music very loud.

What I can also say is, my listening area has changed a little since listening to Maynard and a few others who are tube experienced and actually build their own amps. I notice on my end anyway, when I hit the "sweet spot" things really open up with the sound field. When I come out of it, it's like  someone put up a sheet of plastic and the sound field drops closes up again as if I'm listening to SS.This will most likely happen with you, and placement of the speakers and sitting area are going to be one of the heavier things you would focus on IMO. 

The good thing about the people I have spoken to about tubes on here is that they build and sell them, but don't try to push theirs on you for a quick $$$. It's actually opposite, they seem to take pride in what they do and steer you to where you should be. So for what Maynard is saying and they way he has steered me with things,I would definitely take his recommendations. 

Your room acoustics,furniture,flooring,window treatments,speaker placement,music you listen to are going to be affected even more with tubes than they would with SS.

Not to knock anyone's opinion as that's what you're looking for, but try to find a place that will let you try out the amp, or offer return on it for free, or better yet find someone local and see if they can "lend you" or even bring their amp over for you too listen to it. If they are amp builders, maybe they can go to your property, take measurements and bring a few over to demonstrate. That's what I would look for if possible.

Room is really critical as mentioned, a long with other factors. I had a Jolida 102crc in a bedroom set up (11x13) at 20 wpc and it drove my Chorus II's to dangerous levels, couldn't even take near half volume. In that room / situation it sounded great and was perfect. I moved the system to a different house and a larger room and the Jolida sounded like crap and didn't go anywhere near loud enough. Had I only heard the Jolida in the second room I would have just assumed it was a piece of Chinese junk but I was really quite impressed and totally happy with it in the first room.

Thanks....

My listening space is 18'x26' with a cathedral ceiling starting at 12' and goes up to 28' with my Corns sitting in the corners on the 18' wall. My listening preference is old school rock n roll, classic rock, blues and on occasion some metal when I really want to rock out. I know that the CW are really efficient at 101db 1 watt.... My Carver really pushed the CW with 250 wpc and I also have an old Sansui that will get 110 db out of the Corns.

So what kind of tube amp power would I need to sound pretty decent based on the above criteria?

Thanks again....

RonW.

Save your money and forget the baby steps they will just end in disappointment. To achieve the above with decent sound quality your going to need some quality built high powered tube amps 50 to 100 watts and those kinds of quality watts don't come cheap.

• Like 4