Considering 7.1....What would you do?

Youthman

• Moderators

Well, I spoke to Wake Junkie tonight and he has got a crazy thought rolling around in my brain. 5.1 or 7.1? He has a good point. I just picked up a Sherbourn 72100A (200 x 7) amp and I just happen to have a complete RF-7ii System that I picked up a few weeks ago. I've unhooked the Parasound and am about to head back into the HT to remove the RSW-15 since the cables for the surround backs were tucked underneath the wooden floor that sits beneath it. Figure I'll hook up the amp to all 7 cables and then place the 2nd pair of RS-62ii's on my back seats to do some demo to see how much, if any they make as 7.1 vs 5.1.

I'll be listing my Parasound HCA2205a (220 x 5) amp and have already listed my RS-62 (original version) so the wife will be glad when that money comes in. :)

Just wanted to get some feedback from my fellas to see what would you do.

I know when I originally tried 7.1 with only a receiver, I was underwhelmed to say the least. The Yamaha RX-V1800 (130 x 7) dropped to a measly 55 watts with all 7 channels driven. Now that I have 7 monoblocks with 200 watts each, I don't think power will be an issue. The other issue was that I had the surround backs mounted above the door frame which is around 8' high with the tweeter being close to the ceiling at almost 10'. I just rarely heard them. Mounting them at same height as the side surrounds or slightly lower would definitely help them to be heard plus with the added power, they would definitley be heard.

Lastly I'm wondering will I hear $600 worth a difference (which is what I have the RS-62ii listed at) by adding surround backs?

Guess I won't know until I get it hooked up and do some testing. Wish me luck and let me know what you would do.

Here is a pick of the room showing the previous RS-62's mounted. I mounted the RS-62ii's tonight in their place and I LOVE the rounded grills. They look much more modern than the triangle shaped RS-62's.

900x900px-LL-7b05c3c7_TheaterRoom1.jpeg

900x900px-LL-9753618e_Klipsch-Home-Theat

Have you thought about flipping your surrounds upside down to get the tweeters closer to your head? I would go all the way to 11.1! I was at 9.1 but I just sold all my speakers and, my new setup is only 5.0 (till my sub comes in). I will slowly be moving to 11.1.

• Moderators

Unfortunately I can't do any real testing tonight as my wife is asleep.

The Sherbourn is extremely quiet. I have to get within 4 inches to hear anything from the speakers. Can't wait till tomorrow to see what she can do driving 7 speakers

You mention 600$ worth of difference because that's what your asking. But how about think what you actually have in them? I have 4 of the ks-525's and I love it. I'd trade the surround backs for the kl-525's if I could straight up but not gonna come out of pocket for em. I have lots of 7.1 movies and can easily pick out stuff that comes from behind me over what comes from my side speakers. No question about it. I'd keep em.

• Moderators

You mention 600$ worth of difference because that's what your asking. But how about think what you actually have in them?

And that is precisely Wake's point and thus the reason for me considering keeping them. Everything is hooked up, now I just have to do some A/B testing tomorrow to see if I can hear a difference.

• Like 1

• Moderators

And mine came with a 10 year warranty. It was a no brainer.

Yep and bartering for mine was a no brainer as well. ;)

Sancho, yes, you are correct unless I ever go back to separates. Then a second amp would be needed to move to an 11.X system.