Considering 7.1....What would you do?

Youthman

Carl, I have only a few concert DVD's and I really only use them for demos when people come over. Probably 90% of my time in the HT is watching movies.

Then demo some Harry Potter movies. They seemed to have a lot of rear effects from what I can remember, especially the most recent ones.

I've never actually tried just 5.1 in my theater room so my opinion is a bit biased, but I love 7.2. I took a shot at 9.2 and although it may simply have been a placement issue, I just couldn't get enough effect from my front heights to justify keeping it that way.

Two questions- First, how are you considering that 7 channel amp, 7 mono-blocks? Call me crazy, or naive, but I thought that mono-block meant, independent, stand alone, single channel amp? Second, I guess is more of a comment than a question. To add those two channels by keeping the *extra* pair of RS-62II's wouldn't really be 600, too you though right?, more just whatever you had paid for them within the package. That makes it more palatable :)

I like the crowd & band noise from Football games this time of year. Even though most PAC-12 games sound line a golf match, tonight I still had the SC Band Noise. Texas A&M has the best band noise.

Harry Potter is pretty good, too. Can't get into the movies, but the one scene where they are playing that flying ball game is awesome.

Lord of the Rings is 6.1, which is still pretty darn good.

Carl, I have only a few concert DVD's and I really only use them for demos when people come over. Probably 90% of my time in the HT is watching movies.

If you haven't yet, you gotta check out the iTunes concerts on your Apple TV. Great video quality and sound quality, to boot! I could be wrong but I feel like there are around 30 or so FULL concerts on there from a very wide range of popular current musicians. Definitely worth a gander. I've lost many an hour of my life by telling myself that I'd only watch a couple of songs worth, lol. EDIT- The concerts are all free. Just click on the iTunes concert button. But be forewarned that they do seem to come ago and are not always available to watch.

Edited by Trevmerrill

• Moderators

Two questions- First, how are you considering that 7 channel amp, 7 mono-blocks? Call me crazy, or naive, but I thought that mono-block meant, independent, stand alone, single channel amp? Second, I guess is more of a comment than a question. To add those two channels by keeping the *extra* pair of RS-62II's wouldn't really be 600, too you though right?, more just whatever you had paid for them within the package. That makes it more palatable :)

Sherbourn 72100A (200 x 7) Specs

The 7/2100A weighs an astounding 115 pounds and features the world’s first seven mono block, seven toroidal transformer amplifier. This brute will output a massive 2.1 kW and comes with two power cords to ensure that you can pull all of the needed power from two outlets, which eliminates the need to install a special 20-amp circuit. Sherbourn uses only the finest components, including fifty-six bi-polar Mosfet transistors and has an over 150,000 microfarad capacitance. The rear panel includes XLR and RCA inputs, gold plated five-way binding posts and a low voltage trigger input. Unique to Sherbourn is our LDS, (Load Detection System) that allows the amp to sample the signal before powering up and will detect if the “load” is within safe parameters.

200 x 7 @ 8 OHMS (All Channels Driven)

300 x 7 @ 4 OHMS (All Channels Driven)

Six of the Seven channels can be bridged to give a front stage output of 400 x 3 @ 8 OHMS and 600 x 3 @ 4 OHMS

Yes, you are correct about $600. I've already recovered what I put into the entire system by selling the Cherry RF-7's, the RB-81's and the money Wake Junkie sent me from the sale of his speakers. Could I use an extra $600 to go towards our cruise next week? Sure. But I still have a pair of RS-62 and the Parasound amp to sell so it will help put some money aside for that next big deal I'm waiting for. :D

If you haven't yet, you gotta check out the iTunes concerts on your Apple TV. Great video quality and sound quality, to boot! I could be wrong but I feel like there are around 30 or so FULL concerts on there from a very wide range of popular current musicians. Definitely worth a gander. I've lost many an hour of my life by telling myself that I'd only watch a couple of songs worth, lol. EDIT- The concerts are all free. Just click on the iTunes concert button. But be forewarned that they do seem to come ago and are not always available to watch.

I'll have to check that out tomorrow. Thx for the head's up.

I'm not seeing an iTunes concert button on the AppleTV can you point me in the right direction?

Sorry, it's actually called iTunes festival. It's a "button"/link on the home screen when you turn it on. I'm not looking at it right now, so I can't describe it more. Hopefully they didn't remove it again :( When I first bought mine a big part of why I bought it was to watch those concerts. A few weeks after owning it...they disappeared. Lame. Recently, the last few times I've used it, most recently last week, they were back. Not the older 25, or so, artists that had been on there previously. But instead a fresh batch of 25-30 brand new concerts! I was really stoked. I wing be turning on the HT tonight so i can't check. It's hard to miss though.

I've never actually tried just 5.1 in my theater room so my opinion is a bit biased, but I love 7.2. I took a shot at 9.2 and although it may simply have been a placement issue, I just couldn't get enough effect from my front heights to justify keeping it that way.

You definetly get more out of SB speakers. Most 7.1 movies are designed for SB. The FH speakers are for a glorified 5.1 setup. No movies have discrete FH channel encode info that I know of. FH are better for music than SB IMO. 9.x and 11.x will be matrix sound since 9 channel movies are not really on the market yet. The thing with the increasing number of channels and the benefits is room size dependent. To get a good effect and to make the spatial cues standout, the speakers can't be to close to each other. 95+ percent of the movies is usually in the main 2 channels.

• Moderators

Ron is coming over at 12:30 today and we will do some testing comparing 5.1 with 7.1 to see how much of a difference it will make. For the testing, I do not have them optimally placed. They are sitting on the arms of the back row seats all the way against the seat cushions. So they will be about ear level when typically they should be a few feet above ear level.

Many suggest having all of the surrounds at the same height. I actually have my surrounds about 1 foot heigher than I would have liked but I had to mount them at about 6' to keep my head from banging into it when walking by it. :D

Would it be ok to mount the surround back about a foot lower? The other issue I have is the door. The right door is not able to open due to my riser sitting in front of it so Wake Junkie suggested we could mount the speaker to the door and run the wire inside the door since it's hollow.

Here is what it might look like.

surround-back-layout1.jpg

• Like 1

Personally I would go right above the door for height, with the speaker sitting right on top of the door frame. I think it would look better and still be a good height for sound especially since your rear seats are close to the rear and also your ceilings are high, I think this would work well.

Edited by Rich_Guy

• Moderators

Rich, my only concern is that they will be too high. When I had the RB-35's up there, I never noticed them.

My ears are about 3.5' when seated. Top of the door frame is right at 7' so that's 3.5' to the bottom of the speaker.

They look fine up there, just not sure how they will sound. The back row will surely never hear them.

surround-back-layout2.jpg

• Moderators

I just re-ran the auto calibration and did a few tests. I definitely can hear the surround backs. It is more enveloping but then again, they are almost at ear level too. I just don't see how if I mount them above the door frame, they will be 4' higher than they are now and I'm afraid they will not be heard unless I am able to angle them down considerably..

7.1 vs 5.1 is not night and day, but more immersive in 7.1 and more real. I like it and am not going back.

I would try to angle yours down a bit.

I agree, I enjoyed going to 7.1 and won't go back but I am not interested in adding any more.

Youth I still think I would go top of door if they seem too high tilt them downward and that will make a big difference.

Just a warning Michael:

I am very likely to be completely overwhelmed by the presence of so much high end equipment. My ears most likely aren't trained enough to be of much help with your setup but I DO have two functioning ears and this should be fun! Just remember, there is no good reason to leave the 5 channel amp where I can see it.

It will serve no purpose other than to make me ill.

See you at 12:30,

Ron