Denon E400 or denon X1000

Hutch1814

I was in the same boat last year but due to a leaking roof I was unable to purchase a new AVR so this year I'm making it a purchase hopefully on Black Friday in hopes of getting a good deal. I've narrowed down what I think it 2 good options. I'm still only needing 5.1 but the 7.1 wouldn't hurt in case of an impulse upgrade on another set of speakers. Only thing I don't like about either one is they're spring fed connections for the speakers vs the banana plug method. Any thoughts?

no ifs ands or buts, the x1000. denon does it right in their line ups. they basically offer 5.1 receivers first and build them up with features. the x1000 is 5.1 ( replacement of the 1713 that i have). its full loaded with features and audyssey xt. then once they move to the 1913 (e400) it goes to 7.1 but you lose features like the audyssey xt which is superior big time to regular audyssey eq.

in my eyes the x1000 will save you money on purchase and keep you from impulse buying an extra set of speakers. if thats an option for you down the line then i would skip to the x2000 (CI2113) which is 7.1 and has audyssey xt.

hope this helps.

Gave $550 for my 3312 June 2012 Full 3 year Warranty, New in Sealed box.

Just saying be patient, there are deals out there.

I couldn't wait. My yahama was on its way out the door but she was a good one for the stuff she did for me!! I went and picked up the X-1000 today, has enough on it and in it to do what I'm wanting. Problem is when I run audyssey it doesn't seem to find my sub. I changed the settings on the sub like it told me to and it still doesn't see it. Any ideas?

Firmware update corrected the problem, whew! Got a little worried, now to play with it! It's my first Denon, always had Yahama's so this is completely different to me. Wishing my computer (laptops that collects dust cause we use our iPads for everything) would hurry up and update so I can switch my harmony smart control functions and load everything up and see what this puppy will do. Thanks for the advice, I almost waited but came home today to nothing coming out of the surrounds.p so I knew I couldn't wait until Black Friday

Firmware updates scare me as I am always worried about it making my equipment into a brick. The bad thing is if you do a firmware upgrade and it makes it a brick, they won't cover it under warranty, which in my opinion sucks! I had a few problems with my 4520 when I got it and I did the firmware update and luckily everything went fine and my receiver now works fine. Hopefully I will not need anymore firmware upgrades and the 4520 will last a long time.

What? If you upgrade they won't cover under warranty? How do you figure?

If you take it to a repair shop and they do the upgrade I believe they will honor the warranty but as far as doing it yourself I doubt it. I have heard of some people recently that have done firmware upgrades on other products and it made it a brick and they were SOL. Now I had a PS2 years ago, and I bought the extended warranty and it did the upgrade by itself and made it a brick... It was replaced by warranty. You never know what they are going to say. In another forum people have uploaded the firmware for people to use and they say use at your own risk... If it becomes a brick you are on your own.

Edited by ellisr63

So your saying the firmware upgrades that are done via the internet that are mandatory for certain features to work that denon adds or fixes will void the warranty? You sure your not talking about hardware upgrade or something? Still doesn't make sense to me. I've upgraded my denon only when denon releases a bug fix or something.

So your saying the firmware upgrades that are done via the internet that are mandatory for certain features to work that denon adds or fixes will void the warranty? You sure your not talking about hardware upgrade or something? Still doesn't make sense to me. I've upgraded my denon only when denon releases a bug fix or something.

Yes, that is what I am saying. I would call Denon and see what they tell you. I think they are worried that you will turn it off or something while it is upgrading the firmware and brick it. I have let the Denon upgrade when it wants too.

Here is an example of what Sony says about their liability on firmware upgrades... "SCE AND ITS AFFILIATED COMPANIES EXCLUDE ALL LIABILITY FOR ANY LOSS OF DATA, LOSS OF PROFIT, OR ANY OTHER LOSS OR DAMAGE SUFFERED BY YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY, WHETHER DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL HOWEVER ARISING, AS A RESULT OF ACCESSING TO OR USING THE SYSTEM SOFTWARE OR ANY OF THE CONTENTS, PROGRAMS, FEATURES, SERVICES OR INFORMATION ON OR PROVIDED THROUGH THE SYSTEM SOFTWARE. SO LONG AS THIS PROVISION IS ENFORCEABLE IN YOUR JURISDICTION, THE FOREGOING LIMITATIONS, EXCLUSIONS AND DISCLAIMERS SHALL APPLY TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, EVEN IF ANY REMEDY FAILS OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE."

The comment I read said that usually there will be Software License Agreement you have to click on before it updates the firmware... It has been a while since I did the firmware on the Denon, so I don't know if Denon is doing it or not. My big concern is what happens when you are out of warranty and it does a firmware upgrade... Who is responsible? I am hoping that Denon would stand behind their product but I don't know if they will.

Edited by ellisr63

Ok, been playing after doing my honey do list for the day. How do I get my sub active on the airplay function? My tower sound good without but I like having that slightly lower thud when listening to music. Figured scrappy may be able to help me since he's got a similar model?