Last Concert You Attended

jacksonbart

Perhaps not what everyone would have had in mind in this thread, but I'm seeing Holst's The Planets by the Baltimore Symphony at Strathmore Hall in Bethesda, Friday evening, Nov. 8.

Because of slim classical music pickings this season, I didn't organize a group concert outing this year.

Sounds more of what can be attended at a reasonable price to me.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JB,

To post pics you go to the More Reply Options button next to the Post button. There you can browse to a pic and upload it. You can then browse to another and upload, so you can put more than one pic in a post.

Cheers,

Bruce

Perhaps not what everyone would have had in mind in this thread, but I'm seeing Holst's The Planets by the Baltimore Symphony at Strathmore Hall in Bethesda, Friday evening, Nov. 8.

Because of slim classical music pickings this season, I didn't organize a group concert outing this year.

Sounds more of what can be attended at a reasonable price to me.

Not sure just what you're saying, but my very good first balcony seat cost $63.

Kid Rock in July.

I had taken my 9 year old daughter to her first concert last year, it was Kid rock at T.D. Ameritrade park, at Redsky music festivals. Luckily she was ready to go when the pole dancers came on stage.

Ohman... that could have been awkward.

I much prefer the live event to listening to my system... I went to see Ethel Ennis and Cyrus Chestnut (jazz) last weekend at An Die Musik. The week before I caught Might Could & Prester John (progressive jazz) at Orion Studios and the Paul Wingo Trio (jazz) at Bertha's. The week before that, my wife an I went to the Flaming Lips and Tame Impala concert at Merriweather and I saw John Wetton do some old King Crimson tunes with friends at Jammin' Java. I've probably heard as much live music as recorded over the past few months but the good shows and tours are starting to slow down so I'll get back to spinning LP's soon enough.

BTW, most of these shows were for the most part, very reasonably priced, ranging from $50 to see Ethel Ennis (a jazz legend here in Baltimore) to well, free (Paul Wingo) with the average price being about $20. That's a bargain in my book as no recording I own will come close to the real experience. We also got a discount for the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra's winter series (5 performances for $70) through Living Social Deals so if cost is an issue, there are opportunities to see some great shows on the cheap.

I much prefer the live event to listening to my system... I went to see Ethel Ennis and Cyrus Chestnut (jazz) last weekend at An Die Musik. The week before I caught Might Could & Prester John (progressive jazz) at Orion Studios and the Paul Wingo Trio (jazz) at Bertha's. The week before that, my wife an I went to the Flaming Lips and Tame Impala concert at Merriweather and I saw John Wetton do some old King Crimson tunes with friends at Jammin' Java. I've probably heard as much live music as recorded over the past few months but the good shows and tours are starting to slow down so I'll get back to spinning LP's soon enough.

Chattanooga has free concerts outside on Fridays through the summer. Cyrus Chestnut put on a nice show, as a trio with just an additional bass player and drummer. They have all kinds os acts perform. Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Maura O'Connell, Doc Watson, Bare Naked Ladies... Used to get there early to get seats up close, as the folks in back tend to drink up and be more rowdy. Still a fun time.

Bruce

Saw Gabriel last year in Grand Prairie. The last show was Elton John and Leon on the reunion tour in Ft Worth. I wanted to go see Depeche Mode and Yes earlier this year, but the wife said our concert days were over, when you start doing things the last time and you know while doing it.

I will make sure that I queue up my Holst's CD on Friday night..Won't be the same as what you will be hearing..but it's the best I can do ;)

Last Concert I attended.....Black Brook Pre-schoolers...1 hr of Pop goes the weasel...Twinkle Twinkle little star...and what I think was Mary had a Little Lamb...All done with recorders..

Ok the last legit concert I've been to...Black Brook Pre-schoolers

I'll cheat and name the three last concerts.

Dwight Twilley. Rock & roller who verged on making the big time, but not quite. Fine rock show.

Bill Kirchen. Hot rod Lincoln fame. 'Titan of the Telecaster' barely does justice to this guy. Amazing, I'll do whatever I have to do to see Kirchen again. Seriously.

Jimmy Webb. Songwriting career speaks for itself. Performance maybe not terrific, but the stories and just being in the same room with the feller that wrote & composed all those hits is well worth it. I've seen him five times in the past four years. I'll see him again.

All of these at a place called the Blue Door in Oklahoma City. Not a bar. Only exists as a place to encourage young singer songwriters. Seats a hundred, they don't so much as sell sodas. Bring something to drink, pop or wine. I've seen such a wide variety of performances in the Blue Door, never a disappointment. I hope there is someplace like this in every town. But, I know there ain't.