SACD player question

ryanm84

I am considering an SACD player (actually blu-ray, SACD, DVD maybe a marantz)

I currently have either an Adcom pre-amp GTP-600 or a denon AVR 3801. Neither has the 5 channel in I see on most players. Question is, do you get the sacd playback thru standard RCA hook ups?

Second anyone with a marantz UD 5007 or 7007 unit? Likes? Dislikes?

Last, is the sacd sound real or a gimmick?

I currently have either an Adcom pre-amp GTP-600 or a denon AVR 3801. Neither has the 5 channel in I see on most players. Question is, do you get the sacd playback thru standard RCA hook ups?

Yes standard(stereo) RCA outputs will allow SACD playback but only the 2-channel layer but it will be high resolution if you select it in your player.

No experience with Marantz universal players only Oppo, Onkyo, and Integra.

Yes SACD sound is real but as with most audio media, the quality of recording is everything.

What is your max budget for a universal player?

Bill

Edited by willland

• 4 weeks later...

Got the bdp103 added to the collection. I've set it up for video play only at the moment because of space limits and lack of 5th channel. The video is very nice on even standard DVDs. Streaming Netflix is much higher quality than thru my xbox360 too. The flexibility of this player is really awesome.

I like my outdated OPPO a lot. It has 5.1 channel SACD through HDMI and sounds great. I've heard that OPPO may be better than Marantz for players, although Marantz makes some excellent other equipment. OPPO gets great press, as a brand. But rumor is just rumor.

To me the main advantages of using SACD are:

1. Multi channel (5.0 or 5.1 when recorded that way)
  2. The engineers may be more careful, knowing the SACD audience is basically an audiophile audience.
  3. The SACD format itself may sound better. The judges at AES couldn't hear a difference (other than multichannel, I guess), but who knows what speakers and room acoustics they had. As seen on the Klipsch forum sometime in the past, the rooms, reflections, etc. of another opinion-making group, audio magazine editors, can be shocking.