Vintage receiver for Chorus I?

denzien

Hi there, Klipsch folks. Long-time lurker, first time poster.

I've got a pair of Chorus I's with Crites tweeter diaphragms and new crossover caps in my living room (both money well-spent!) currently powered by an old NAD C730 with 30 WPC, which also feeds a Hsu STF-2 sub. The room is about 20' x 13'.

While the sound is pretty good, that poor NAD just doesn't have the guts to move as much air as I'd like. I listen to rock, electronic, and bluegrass primarily, love the low-end, and have a teensy tendency to turn it up once the wife and kids leave the house. :)

I've always heard that the big Klipsch need tubes, but I'm not ready to go full tube yet (kids and $$$). I've looked at hybrids like the Peachtree Deccos, Jolida 301 and 1501RC, but not having a tuner turned me off- we listen to the radio a pretty fair amount.

As a result, I've been looking at primarily vintage receivers. I dig the design aesthetic of the era of the Monster receiver, with wooden cases, big knobs, etc. and would enjoy having a one-box solution.Based on hours of googling, auction-site perusing, and forum reading, and personal design sense, I'm leaning toward a Luxman 1070 or Sansui G5000 or bigger. Maybe Marantz or Pioneer.

I do have an standalone amp and tube buffer that can be used in combination with any new purchase: one B&K ST-202 amp (150WPC), and a Grant Fidelity B-283 tube buffer.

Requirements: 50+WPC. Pre-out, main-in plugs, phono input, tuner.
Difficulty: Budget: $450 max, preferably less, and attractive enough to be wife-friendly, front and center in living room, and reliable (as possible).

Any suggestions? Thanks! -denzien

Requirements: 50+WPC. Pre-out, main-in plugs, phono input, tuner.

Difficulty: Budget: $450 max, preferably less, and attractive enough to be wife-friendly, front and center in living room, and reliable (as possible).

Any suggestions? Thanks! -denzien

Have you considered an 80's vintage Luxman R-117 receiver?

Unequaled bass drive, sweet velvety and detailed midrange, extended highs, addictive headroom(160w/ch), main ins/preouts, and one of the best(if not the best) tuners of any receiver in existance.

Send Dean Wescott(deanG) a PM and get his take on the Luxman.

Here is one for sale on Ebay with original remote.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Luxman-R-117-Ultimate-Audiophile-Receiver-W-Original-Remote-Control-/171164381216?pt=US_Stereo_Receivers&hash=item27da313020

Here are a couple of photos of the one I sold months back. And yes I regret it. :(

Bill

post-24680-0-29420000-1383779730_thumb.j

post-24680-0-92060000-1383779787_thumb.j

Edited by willland

Ever consider a MAC 1700 receiver. It is 40 watt/ch and has the tuner, phono, tape and aux inputs. I do not know what main-in plugs are. I use mine for 2 ch and it has plenty of power to push my RF 7's. I am thinking about getting rid of it since I don't have a turntable or use the tuner. It is a beautiful receiver that is not being fully utilized.

Edited by derrickdj1

I think Concept Receivers are a great bang for the buck. I've bought a couple of 11.0's, one was 200 and one was closer to 300. They have 110 watts per chanel and are pretty conservitive with the ratings and have huge bass.

I'll look into the bigger Concepts. I've got a Concept 2.0 doing duty in my vinyl rig, with a B&K ST-202 doing the heavy lifting. It does sound good, with prodigious bass, though the room it's in needs some treatments to tame the bass down a hair or it can sound bloated.

Ever consider a MAC 1700 receiver. It is 40 watt/ch and has the tuner, phono, tape and aux inputs. I do not know what main-in plugs are. I use mine for 2 ch and it has plenty of power to push my RF 7's. I am thinking about getting rid of it since I don't have a turntable or use the tuner. It is a beautiful receiver that is not being fully utilized.

Yep, I've considered the Mac 1700, but haven't found any in my price range so far. I keep reading there's good synergy between vintage Mac gear and the bigger Klipsch, though it's out of my league... for now.
Looking at your system in your sig, I'm interested in your opinion of the Yaqin VK2100. Pretty sure it's your comments about that piece that I've read a dozen times on this site while looking for good info on hybrids. Still happy with it? How's the sound vs the 1700? Would it be a good fit with the Chorus I's do you think?

The MCA has been brought up to factory specs by the previous own at a shop in Indy in 2013 and the Yaqin VK 2100 is pratically brand new. I gave a little background so that you can see were I a coming from. I have had both amps on the McIntosh XR5 and RF 7's. They can both drive the speakers to a crazy loud level. The Yaqin may, and that is may have a little more more. They both sound different than the Pioneer has the volume goes up due to the tube/hybird sound. I like both and performance wise they are even. The MAC has a vert nice tuner that is missing on the Yaqin. Condition wise the are both 9.5/10 and add a quality look to the system.

With certain types of music I prefer the integrated amps over the Pioneer sound. Certain jazz, female vocals,classical and music with a lot of instuments. Concert and classical the MAC win becuase it like to really crack and that music sounds good turned up. The bass is right up there with the Yamaha M 80 and Carver M 400 which are 250 watts.

I like having the MAC since it goes with the Mc speakers (great combo) and I like the Yaqin due to shear beauty. becuase these amps were on a switcher I also tried them with the HT. They actulally were very capable amp for the HT. The MAC does not seem to loose power due to the RF 7's impedance dips which is really out standing. All low wattage amps are not like the Yaqin and MAC 1700. They can drive some big boy speakers without a problem. I think they have a higher current flow than most amps in the power category . I listen to a lot of musice around -50 to-40 which is not really lound. Both of amps have a black floor with no hiss between songs. What is you price range for a MAC 1700 or hybid similar to the Yaqin? I think you may find something in your range. :)

Edited by derrickdj1

What is you price range for a MAC 1700 or hybid similar to the Yaqin? I think you may find something in your range. :)

Looking to keep it at $450 or less. I know the Yaqin can be had for less than that, but I need a tuner, and would prefer a one-box solution with tuner and phono... Haven't seen a Mac1700 for less than ~$525+shipping, so that will remain on the once-the-kid-graduates-from-college wishlist.

Leaning now towards Sansui or Luxman. Any other opinions on either of those vs Pioneer or Marantz?

Yamaha! Their late 1970s gear sounds great on my Klipsch stuff. The CR-1010 and CR-2020 in excellent condition should easily fit into your budget and meet your desire for that aluminium and wood look. I sold my minty CR-2020 a couple of years ago when I needed funds for some other audio project and that is a lingering regret, but I still have a CA-1010 integrated amp that I will not part with. It has lots of power and is switchable to class A operation. Good phono section too. Have it currently paired with a nice set of AR-11 in my bedroom but I have been planning to return it to my teaching studio to pair with the Fortes.

I have been down this road myself. I really wanted an old vintage Sansui or Pioneer, i looked for a long time and never found one in my price range. I bought a Nakamichi TA-2A and man let me tell ya for the money they are tough to beat. They dont have the coolness factor of the good ole days pioneer or sansui's but awesome sound and value for the money. I ended up with a dynaco ST 70 and what you have been reading is true once you go to tubes its tough to go back to solid state. I had an MC 2105 and loved it as well.

I have a very nice, fully functional HK 730, if you are interested. These twin-powered receivers are great with Klipsch speakers, as you have probably seen in other posts. I used it with Heresys and Choruses. I have not posted it yet in the Garage Sale forum, but my asking price is $175. You can check on preferred shipping costs. I had it serviced by an HK certified tech in 2008. Since then I have moved to other electronics. I'll attach a couple of photos. I can send better ones, if you like. Jeff

post-25859-0-39240000-1383943506_thumb.j

post-25859-0-48200000-1383943528_thumb.j

Yamaha! Their late 1970s gear sounds great on my Klipsch stuff.

Interesting. There's a CR-840 on my local Craigslist right now that I've eyed a couple of times. They're good looking pieces, that's for sure.

That is a nice receiver. It is very similar to the bigger CR-1040 in most ways, just a little less power and bling.

• 1 month later...