KLF 20 Inner Bracing

TimJ

I'm a new guy - just picked up a pair of KLF 20s that had loose motor boards and rear baffles. After studying several posts here and some elsewhere I have added this inner bracing (see photo) while I had them apart.

I would appreciate any thoughts on whether or not I am going the wrong way with this.

I roughly checked the volume change and (taking the enclosure as a rectangle without backing out the space consumed by the drivers) the reduction in volume was around 5%.

I plan on augmenting the original foam with a little fiberglass to compensate for the difference.

Thanks for any help.

Tim

Chattanooga

post-57485-0-87060000-1383835448_thumb.j

Welcome to the forums! We're starting to have a larger Chattanooga area contingent on here, which is great.

I'm between LaFayette and Ft. O right now, but moving up into Rossville soon (if the realtors get their act together).

BTW, nice job on the bracing. It should help a lot.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel

Thanks, Bruce.

Hope to meet some others. I picked up a KLF C7 off craigslist from a great guy just above Atlanta. The C7 is immaculate. Can't wait to get these back together to hear them together.

I have never had any kind of quality sound before and just swoon when I pour some Ronnie Earl and the Broadcasters thru them.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you have the right idea adding fiberglass (or you could use polyester fiberbill) to help offset the small loss in volume from the new bracing. Just don't pack too much because you'll need to keep a clear path from the backside of the woofers to the port. Thanks for sharing the picture; I might have to do something similar in my KG5.5s one day.

While you have things aparts, you might consider deadening the horn lens by adding some rope caulk to their backsides. I did one of my KG5.5 horns and did an A/B test and it seemed to be a good change (so I did the other as well as my custom center).