Quoting

The old forum used to allow you to highlight a portion of someone's comments, and then, when you pushed the Quote button, only the selected portion was quoted. That was cool. Is this something which the new forum will allow? Right now, you quote, the whole thing comes in, and you have to delete all around the portion you want to save.

• Administrators

The old forum used to allow you to highlight a portion of someone's comments, and then, when you pushed the Quote button, only the selected portion was quoted. That was cool. Is this something which the new forum will allow? Right now, you quote, the whole thing comes in, and you have to delete all around the portion you want to save.

Not that I'm aware of. Sorry!

• Like 1

Yes I liked this very much also, it made it much easier to make a partial quote.

To add to that, previously the HTML tags showed up while editing, so that one could, for example, quote a sentence, reply to that sentence, quote another sentence, reply to that sentence, etc., by inserting the appropriate tags. Is it (or can it be) possible to see and manipulate the HTML tags while editing with the new editor?

I have noticed that I can click "Quote" multiple times, then delete different portions each time, but it is then apparently not possible to eliminate the redundant "Jeff Matthews, on 08 Nov 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:" lead-ins.

• Administrators

To add to that, previously the HTML tags showed up while editing, so that one could, for example, quote a sentence, reply to that sentence, quote another sentence, reply to that sentence, etc., by inserting the appropriate tags. Is it (or can it be) possible to see and manipulate the HTML tags while editing with the new editor?

Yes, although HTML is not allowed (for security reasons). What you can do is see the BBCode tags by clicking the light switch icon in the upper-left of the editor.

• Like 1

Yes, although HTML is not allowed (for security reasons).

OK...

What you can do is see the BBCode tags by clicking the light switch icon in the upper-left of the editor.

Close, but not quite what I hoped. In this message I attempted to do exactly what I described in my original message. It all worked except that I cannot find a way to eliminate the word "Quote". Good enough, I think.

Thank you.

• Administrators

Just curious -- why would you need to eliminate the word "Quote"? That text area is a quote box, so it says what it is.

You could instead use a "Code" area that looks like this:

test 

But that would require you to cut & paste from the quoted text into the code area. Seems silly.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Just curious -- why would you need to eliminate the word "Quote"? That text area is a quote box, so it says what it is.

Because it is a quote box. It's obvious, so the word "Quote" is superfluous. Not a big deal.

Thanks.

Ha! I don't disagree with you on that. It may not be so obvious to some people here however! :blink2::D

• Like 1

• Administrators

What is the code button, beside the Image button, used for?

It provides a way to display fixed-width text. Many other forums (for example, in the tech community) use this to have some nicely formatted text that preserves indenting, like this:

This is some text. 
See how each letter is the same width?
    Boom! I'm indented.
        I'm indented more.
    I'm back to the prior indent level. 

Blah Blah Blah

• Like 1