Coffered Ceiling: Boon or Bust?

thebes

Just from looking at them, a coffered ceiling seems to offer intriguing possibilities for people with room issues. I'm thinking they'd be pretty good at breaking up standing waves and redirecting the bottom end back down to the floor.

Any body have any experience with these in a listening environment? Jess curious.

Oh here's a pic in case you don't know what I'm talking about.

post-12696-0-38560000-1383948668_thumb.j

Edited by thebes

Hmm, wonder how all four walls and the ceiling would work? It would sure look cool;-) Like the A-Chamber in hope I have a buddy back home in Texas that literally did the 4 wall/ceiling thing in his sound room but with those 4x4 foam panels years ago and like the anechoic chamber was dead quite and had no echo when you clapped your hands! That ceiling looks like each one of those insets would be perfect for the foam inserts.

Just from looking at them, a coffered ceiling seems to offer intriguing possibilities for people with room issues. I'm thinking they'd be pretty good at breaking up standing waves and redirecting the bottom end back down to the floor.

Any body have any experience with these in a listening environment? Jess curious.

Oh here's a pic in case you don't know what I'm talking about.

Thebes,

You just created a lot off work for me.

My house was re-plumbed and all of the pipes are now between the first and second floor. I wanted to go with wood on the ceilings, but potential plumbing repairs make this a bad idea (removing wood from the ceiling to access the pipes).

This looks like a great solution because there will still be a bunch of exposed plaster. I can even put 1/4 wood veneer in the voids and it can be removed easily.

Also not too hard to build. Use 1/2" OSB, build 3 sided "channels" and attach to the ceiling. Then cap them, add trim and paint. There are a bunch of videos on Youtube.

I like it. I have seen these before but this motivated me to look into it.

The thing about this that really intrigues me is you could hide some acoustic panels up there without calling undue attention to them. WAF factor might be pretty good on this one, but I have no idea if the science of acoustics would approve.