Skipping CD player

jason str

Anybody have any experience with CD player repair or have had their CD player repaired because of skipping problems ?

I have a Sony ES 5 cd carousel CD player that has had problems in the last few years with skipping and now its to the point i cant even listen anymore.

I think it may be the optical pickup but i hate to start throwing parts at it.

Just took the thing apart, cleaned and lubricated all the moving parts and cleaned the lens but it still skips.

Now I'm stuck playing on my backup Sony ES but its just a single slot and really miss my 5 CD carousel changer.

Any input would be helpful.

Next time I would take the opportunity to try a different cd player. Though the one you have may sound great there may be others that sound just as good that could have been purchased for 20 dollars used. To me they are kind of throw away now days, I know back in the day we may have spent quite a bit on one so it may be hard to get rid of. I went down this road a couple of years ago with a Pioneer one that I purchased when I was 14 with my paper route money. It was a 6 disc cd changer that for the last several years wouldn't even play. I had taken it a part and cleaned and relubed it, when I did it worked good as new. But during the processes I came across a couple of decent cd players for next to nothing, one which I still use and the other my sister uses. Some seem to be more musically then others but all seem to work pretty good. And I still have my Pioneer 6 disc which still works great. I hope you fix it for the money, it gives great pleasure knowing that you kept your old player up and running for not much money. Sometimes the new opticals you pick up can be even better then the old ones.

Hey Jason I am a fan of Sony ES 5 disc players & have found that invariably a dirty lens is to blame for skipping. I finally bought some Kodak lens cleaner & found that ti worked the best for cleaning the lens in the CDP. I used to use high percentage alcohol, but actual photographic lens cleaning solution worked the best for me. $15 for a bottle was around the price, other brands are Zeiss & Nikon. Good luck.

Hey Jason I am a fan of Sony ES 5 disc players & have found that invariably a dirty lens is to blame for skipping. I finally bought some Kodak lens cleaner & found that ti worked the best for cleaning the lens in the CDP. I used to use high percentage alcohol, but actual photographic lens cleaning solution worked the best for me. $15 for a bottle was around the price, other brands are Zeiss & Nikon. Good luck.

I have the CDP C69ES, i love it and would hate to have to buy a new one, i purchased it shortly after i bought the single disk player CDP XA1ES because i wanted to throw more CD's in and not get up so often to change disks. Both sound awesome. The XA1ES has a slightly more neutral sound and the C69ES has a more robust sound.

The lens cleaner was ran quite often through both players, (the useless CD model with the pubic hair attached).

When i took the skipping player apart (C69ES) i cleaned the lens with rubbing alcohol cleaned and lubricated the slide for the lens and it made no difference.

New OE sony lens assy is on the way, under $20 with shipping.

Edited by jason str

Next time I would take the opportunity to try a different cd player. Though the one you have may sound great there may be others that sound just as good that could have been purchased for 20 dollars used. To me they are kind of throw away now days, I know back in the day we may have spent quite a bit on one so it may be hard to get rid of. I went down this road a couple of years ago with a Pioneer one that I purchased when I was 14 with my paper route money. It was a 6 disc cd changer that for the last several years wouldn't even play. I had taken it a part and cleaned and relubed it, when I did it worked good as new. But during the processes I came across a couple of decent cd players for next to nothing, one which I still use and the other my sister uses. Some seem to be more musically then others but all seem to work pretty good. And I still have my Pioneer 6 disc which still works great. I hope you fix it for the money, it gives great pleasure knowing that you kept your old player up and running for not much money. Sometimes the new opticals you pick up can be even better then the old ones.

I usually buy new stuff, sometimes people sell things because there is a problem with it but sometimes just need the $ i guess.

Recently i picked up a super clean B&O Beogram RX turntable and it sounded great on about 20 albums and now one channel has weak sound, probably the cartridge but few shops repair and sell these things. This will be my next project.

If all else fails i will pick up a new one probably, maybe i will look around for a good newer used one first.

... the ERC3 that will start shipping next month is suppose to be a phenomenal player.

Yawn. :sleep:

Phenomenal in my book would be:

2.5 sec from turn-on to play.

Instant power at turn-on (no relays), no booting.

0.75 second tray / door cycle time.

Display that showed number of tracks on the disc, timer, track ID info, L&R channel dB FS meter, and a spectrum analyzer.

Display backlighting that was fully adjustable, both in color and intensity, and defeat-able.

Metal buttons on the front that can access every feature.

Labeling that was body oil and household cleaner proof.

Onboard diagnostics that could actually tell the user up-front what and where any significant problems in the device were and / or report the status of the pick up alignment.

Component players from 12 years ago were very close to hitting that mark, but since the advent of the "combo" player, the design has suffered the wrath of concession. So long as the pick ups still work, the older machines still run circles around the new ones.

My generation seems to have forgotten how quickly a person could go from silence to listening to music at the drop of a cassette and the push of a single button.

If you do decide to get a new one, the ERC3 that will start shipping next month is suppose to be a phenomenal player. If I had not bought the oppo earlier this year, I would have tried it out. On sale as well.........

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/sources/products/erc-3

some video info as well

Good luck!

I already have a sweet single disk player, thanks for the look though.

Thats about what i paid for my single disk sony probably 20 + years ago.

... the ERC3 that will start shipping next month is suppose to be a phenomenal player.

Yawn. :sleep:

Phenomenal in my book would be:

2.5 sec from turn-on to play.

Instant power at turn-on (no relays), no booting.

0.75 second tray / door cycle time.

Display that showed number of tracks on the disc, timer, track ID info, L&R channel dB FS meter, and a spectrum analyzer.

Display backlighting that was fully adjustable, both in color and intensity, and defeat-able.

Metal buttons on the front that can access every feature.

Labeling that was body oil and household cleaner proof.

Onboard diagnostics that could actually tell the user up-front what and where any significant problems in the device were and / or report the status of the pick up alignment.

Component players from 12 years ago were very close to hitting that mark, but since the advent of the "combo" player, the design has suffered the wrath of concession. So long as the pick ups still work, the older machines still run circles around the new ones.

My generation seems to have forgotten how quickly a person could go from silence to listening to music at the drop of a cassette and the push of a single button.

If only it were so easy. The price would probably be outrageous and sound like crap to boot.

That reminds me that i just put away my sweet cassette player, it really did sound as good or better than a CD. I just gave up on it when CD's started to appear.

Now 8 tracks thats a different story, i recall having to shim the tape in my Pioneer Supertuner with a matchbook to get the thing to sound better. Don't miss that at all.