PIcs not loading

According to that, I have used 459 of my 100 MB's of space. I'd have to delete 80% of my pics to post another one.

You can go through and delete the duplicates, I know its a pain but for some reason it happened. I am now good to go and didn't really have to delete anything I didn't want to mainly just the duplicates and old sales.

I wish I could raise the quota right now, but we have over 34,000 members. It's not likely to happen ever, but imagine if every member used their 100MB quota. That would take up over 3 Terabytes (or over 3000 GB) of disk space on our server. We just don't have that kind of space at the moment.

How was it not a problem with the old forum?

Chad-

It would be nice to have a larger attachment quota, but I understand the problem.

Would it be possible to have an easier way to purge old attachments? Perhaps there could be a way for each member to see all of his/her attachments in a single place so that deletion of old attachments would be facilitated. As it stands now, I search old posts to look for attachments to delete. It's a real PITA. After attaching several photos successfully today, a photo that had already been attached successfully to an earlier post today could not be loaded. I next reduced the already successful file size by half; no luck. I next laboriously deleted ten old attachments, freeing up more than enough space, but the photo still would not load. I tried renaming the file, without luck.

I'll explore the Flicker, etc. alternative.

Best,

Edited by DizRotus

I got mine down to 20 MB by resizing and re-uploading them. I started with a mere 100MB though. A simple thing to do for people who personally request help from you Chad is to run a re-size application on thier directory. Carl's uploads carry a lot of meaning. Some people just upload willy-nilly, but not Carl. Although the quota is to incentivize people to use photobucket and their ilk, I doubt it was meant to punish some of the most productive members in these forums.

Perhaps you should ask yourself, why are there companies like Photobucket and flicr? If storing images is so bad, why the heck are they footing the bill to do what others won't? One more question to ask is about hard drive capacity. A pair of these in a Dell server would give you a redundant 4TB storage solution. There are much cheaper alternatives, but this would be the max. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=342-5274&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

• Administrators
A simple thing to do for people who personally request help from you Chad is to run a re-size application on thier directory.

That is simple sounding, but keep in mind there is also a database that stores metadata about each attachment (including the size), which means each record would need to be updated with the new size info after the resizing application does its thing. This requires a bit of scripting and I just don't have the time right now. Not saying it'll never happen, just not in the immediate future.

One more question to ask is about hard drive capacity.

Indeed. However the server is not a physical server that sits at Klipsch. It's a server in the "cloud" at the webhost. I can't just plug in a couple hard drives to it. We have options - I've been looking into adding block storage to the server to help, but as I mentioned before the next version of IP.Board (this forum software) is supposed to support storing attachments on Content Delivery Networks (which we are using one of those already for the rest of our website), eliminating the need for block storage or physical storage methods.

It would be nice if the forum shrunk attatchments to a pre-determined size. I'm sure it would free up a lot of forum space for me as well as others.

I agree. The Gallery application does this though.

I appreciate everyone's patience. It'll all work out in the end one way or another. Give me some time. Got a lot on my plate at the moment, being the only web dev @ Klipsch & all ;)

Happy Cyber Monday!

• Like 1

Chad,

Several questions please:

• Is there a way for us to see how much space is used and/or available;
  • Does my space allotment include attachments to posts going back to 2002;
  • If so, how can I access them to delete attachments;
  • Are attachments to locked threads counted toward our quota;
  • If so, how can we delete the attachments; and
  • Why can I still not upload a small (65.2 KB) photo despite the steps described in post #30 above?

On the whole, the changes are going well, but this crowd loves photos and right now it's a struggle to upload or delete photos. Thanks for your efforts.

Best,

Neil

Edited by DizRotus

Neil, click on your user name then click settings. Look to the left of the page and click manage attachments. You'll see how much space you've used and what is left. You can also delete from there.

Carl

Gracias Carl,

That was much easier.

How are things in Beaumont Texas, former home of one of my favorite Spartans, Charles "Bubba" Smith?

I once shook Bubbs's thumb (his hand was humongous) in the MSU locker room right after defeating the Weasles 20-7 in 1966. Bubba's little brother, Tody, was sitting on Bubba's knee. Both were mostly naked and sights to behold. May they both Rest In Peace.

Edited by DizRotus

Beaumont is cold, then hot, then cold, then hot. It's a wonder half the state doesn't have pneumonia. In the last two weeks, I've sweated my butt off in the heat and humidity doing yard work and had to wrap pipes to keep them from freezing. This week we'll have high 70's to 80 and 30's this weekend.

There's been more than a few NFL players and coaches come from around here, Jimmy Johnson and Bum Phillips grew up and coached 15 minutes from here. Jamaal Charles is from here as well.

Beaumont is cold, then hot, then cold, then hot. It's a wonder half the state doesn't have pneumonia. In the last two weeks, I've sweated my butt off in the heat and humidity doing yard work and had to wrap pipes to keep them from freezing. This week we'll have high 70's to 80 and 30's this weekend.

There's been more than a few NFL players and coaches come from around here, Jimmy Johnson and Bum Phillips grew up and coached 15 minutes from here. Jamaal Charles is from here as well.

I'd been wondering how the weather was treating You. Now I know.

I'd been wondering how the weather was treating You. Now I know

We have some crazy swings in temperature this time of year. Today will be 80. The Sat before Thanksgiving we went to a bonfire and couldn't hardly stand close enough to the fire, it was so cold. Sunday it'll be close to freezing again.

• 1 month later...