Amp hum

ryanm84

Every time I turn around its something new. I had some service done to both my adcom pre and amp. Hook em up to my Cornwalls and notice a constant hum/buzz thru tweeter and possibly squawkers. It's a little quieter when the pre is off. It doesn't seem to get louder with volume.

Side note, I had them hooked up to an old sony avr and get a similar buzz.

I recently rebuilt these with new crossovers and double checked all connections.

Thoughts?

Every time I turn around its something new. I had some service done to both my adcom pre and amp. Hook em up to my Cornwalls and notice a constant hum/buzz thru tweeter and possibly squawkers. It's a little quieter when the pre is off. It doesn't seem to get louder with volume.

Side note, I had them hooked up to an old sony avr and get a similar buzz.

I recently rebuilt these with new crossovers and double checked all connections.

Thoughts?

May be a ground loop. I once had one with my first Acurus A150 amp that I bought. It was pretty noticeable at all volumes but did not change with volume. I switched power outlets from one next to a cable coax outlet to one about eight feet away and ground loop gone.

Just a consideration.

Bill

I just tested with my third receiver and no buzz but more like a slight white noise hiss. The denon avr had almost zero noise that I would expect and really just blasted some guns n roses. Same plug (surge protector) as the others. Old house and old wiring.

From my experience a buzz is commonly noticed in a mid horn more so than tweeter or woofer. Tweeter is next common in my experience to noticing a hum or buzz due to frequency and rarely i find a hum internally in a speaker cabinet. What is the line up from the power from the wall to your speakers, everything between and then around such as cable tv wires, other electronics etc...a descent power conditioner are you using? Are you powering your amp up last after your pre? This can cause internal issues in both cab and component/s

Edited by beeker

I have a basic surge protector and as far as I know, no other wiring in the wall near the equipment. Speakers are in a nook next to no other electronics save a carbon monoxide detector within 3 or 4 feet or so.

Pre was turned on first but only by about 30 seconds. Amp was turned off first and buzz was still coming thru mids. It did sound as though the buzz was coming thru tweets and mids.

Part of the problem is the effeciency of the speaker itself. and part of the problem is the Adcom gear. I have the Adcom 555II amp and ADCOM 500 tuner. This combination gives off a background hiss all of the time. Just part of th electronics noise inherent in this product line I suppose. I do have several H.H. Scott tube amps and do not have the background noise with them that the Adcoms have.

I'd give it a bit here. I don't sleep for days if i have a noise like that tearing me up sometimes a week if i can't afford or dont know how to fix when it happens. Somebody will chime in and say what it is or is not

I took a break halfway thru my reply then Istari replied

Edited by beeker

Ryan--

I own an Adcom GTP-500. It has a high output level capability that can make it seem noisy when that output capability is not used. I suspect your pre-amp is similar. If your volume control is lower than 12 0'clock at your normal listening level, I suspect you are in this situation. You might try some line-level attenuators between the pre-amp and the amplifier. Maybe something like these:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=266-244

I have never used these particular things, but I believe others here have. If one pair helps your situation, a pair in cascade might be even better.

If you're handy with a soldering iron and would like to build your own custom attenuator, let me know and I'll scrawl something for you.

--Greg

• 2 years later...

Resurrected to ask a simple question: one pair of attenuators. Do you put them on the amp or the pre to adjust line level and noise from the pre? Seems that I would put them on the amp but I may be thinking about this the wrong way.

All those do is attenuate the line level down between the preamp and the amp. Just plug them into the RCA patch cord and hook it back up. It doesn't matter which end it's on. It essentially will allow the system to play lower volume.

Edited by mustang guy