Importance of a Pre-Amp?

philly0116

for line level signals that can reach amp input drive levels...not even needed . if your talking about the old 150mv tuner/tape/aux standard or phono levels....then yes...you need one.

I guess that a preamp can mean a lot of things, many devices have them, sound card, mixers,avrs, and just a single dedicated preamp. They help contro things, gain, output impedance, tone, drive a prarticular amp due to input voltage, and convert signal from unbalance to balanced. If the Marantz is working and you are happy, you are done. Some people like seperates but, many people use their avr with great results. I use my Pioneer as a preamp.

Yep. I'm happy. Marantz does fine for me. If there isn't much to be gained, I wont mess with it.

I've posed that same question amongst the varoius forums myself. I have two systems. I did some tests without any preamps, different preamps, swapping different DAC's amongst the systems, etc, etc. (Both my preamps have been serviced, tested, caps replaced as needed, so on and so forth.)

System synergy is often underrated. A preamp does have a sonic footprint, and I favor the sound of Marantz. Here's what I found:

My basic system, which consists of Marantz 250M solid state power amps and JLB L100 12" 3-way speakers sounds best "to me" when used with my Marantz 3800 solid state preamp.

My uber system, which is a triamp system with Mitsubishi DA-A15DC solid state power amp on the LF horn bass bins, a Rotel RB-991 solid state power amp on the dipole tweets, and a Dynaco ST-35 tube power amp on the mid horn sounds best "to me" with my Marantz 3300 solid state preamp.

There are simply way two many permutations possible to be able to test everthing and still have a life. Add to that, the fact that doing audio A/B tests is a flawed concept to begin with. If it sounds good now, I'd stick with it.

Edited by coolhandjjl

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently using a Marantz 2265 as a preamp with a Haffler DH-200 Amp. Am I missing anything by not having a true preamp? I never listen to the radio so the tuner portion of the Marantz never gets used. What is the importance of a dedicated pre-amp?

I chose to run preamps on both the wife and my system, mainly to have full adjust of Bass & Treble, also P/C Driven.