Double bass bin LS for center

mustang guy

Thanks to Wrench722 for inspiring this. His brilliantly designed center using smaller LS bass bins made me think. How bout using full size bins and a full size horn section? I already had LS plans I drew up in Sketchup, so it was easy to manipulate the file. Below is what I came up with. Storage for 4 devices, two LS bass bins and an LS tophat. I can provide the detailed plans to whomever wants to build this thing. Be sure to give wrench722 ALL of the credit. It took me literally 15 minutes to push things around in Sketchup.

post-47699-0-42300000-1384111646_thumb.j

post-47699-0-56980000-1384111915_thumb.j

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

Thanks to Wrench722 for inspiring this. His brilliantly designed center using smaller LS bass bins made me think. How bout using full size bins and a full size horn section? I already had LS plans I drew up in Sketchup, so it was easy to manipulate the file. Below is what I came up with. Storage for 4 devices, two LS bass bins and an LS tophat. I can provide the detailed plans to whomever wants to build this thing. Be sure to give wrench722 ALL of the credit. It took me literally 15 minutes to push things around in Sketchup.

WOW! Nice! Are you going to build it? If so, keep it posted with lots of pictures!

I am not planning on building this. I really don't have a place where I need it, as my center is a LaScala with two THT's on the left side of them. On the right is my rack. I had drawn this in hopes that somebody who has the time and the shop could build an awesome center. Not sure about impedance having double bass bins. Adding a second bass bin will add 3db gain in that region, which should be about what is lost by splitting the voltage between two bins. It's the lowered resistance that I think should be dealt with. K33's are 4 ohm. Perhaps K33's reconed with a 8ohm voicecoils?

Edited by mustang guy

Thats one big center channel, you would need some space for that. I wouldn't mind coming up with something similar for between my Cornwalls, I think I talked to Bob about it once the biggest problem would be the efficiency of the 2 front firing drivers with the K600, and k77, and coming up with a crossover network. Great concept I do like the look of it.

I agree it is a very big center! Unless your putting it in a public theater.

But if someone wants it built, I love taking on new projects.

Because of the diffrents in the ohms is why I went with two 8" with 4 ohms each.

It sure is! Definitely not for everybody! It would be great for a large HT, and is shorter than a LS or Belle.

My center is actually very similar, except it is a single LaScala, a rack, and two THT's. Mind you, I have a 10' screen and a pretty big room.

Did you use a LaScala crossover with that center?

FWIW, I have attached the sketchup of the center cabinet.

center cut sheet.zip

I agree it is a very big center! Unless your putting it in a public theater.

But if someone wants it built, I love taking on new projects.

Because of the diffrents in the ohms is why I went with two 8" with 4 ohms each.

It sure is! Definitely not for everybody! It would be great for a large HT, and is shorter than a LS or Belle.

My center is actually very similar, except it is a single LaScala, a rack, and two THT's. Mind you, I have a 10' screen and a pretty big room.

Did you use a LaScala crossover with that center?

FWIW, I have attached the sketchup of the center cabinet.

I used ALK Extreme-slope crossover networks.

Carl,

We both know from personal experience that those THT's flanking the center are a bad idea. It just looked awesome.... Talk about standing waves! In my case the rear wall is 60' from the THT's, so unless my volume levels are ridiculously high, there aren't issues. I have noticed, that having both THT's on the same side of the center and touching each other improved the sound a great deal.

I still like the idea of the TV stand which would be a knock out center channel for the big Heritage speakers. I suppose one could replace the bass horn with an enclosure and reflex woofers for Cornwalls. It would only require matching the cabinet volume of the Cornwall. Easy to do since it's in my Sketchup library now.

Edited by mustang guy