Klipsch reference veneer

Scrappydue

Hi guys I'm getting together with a forum member on veneering a sub I'm gonna build.

I asked him about getting a match to the rf-63's in black I will have soon. He said he wasn't sure how get the finish they they have on them. We know it isn't paint since you can see the wood grain easily through. Anyone have any clue on how to achieve EXTREMELY similar results?

Wood stains will allow the wood grain to show. It might take some mix and match to get the right finish which is the difficult part. I built a drawer/door table used in my bedroom and it had to match a store bought dresser.

It took a few times to get the color matched but it meant both a red and brown stain done in stages. Wood grain comes right through.

Practiced on pieces of maple scrap so I could compare to the dresser without lugging the table around.

You have to experiment I always say.

I have had very good results years ago for staining with

http://www.garrettwade.com/behlen-solar-lux-ngr-dye-stain/p/99P10.01/#CRC

though in my case with a red color.

Another thing to try is Kiwi black liquid shoe polish. I'd suggested that for people with black Klipsch boxes which had been scratched and dinged and need a low cost, instant fix from Walgreens. It is probably a water based product which will raise the grain. But it may be a true dye. Reports were very positive.

The Behlen stuff is very much professional.

As I've described, stains that you find at HD are really thinned out paint, meaning that there are colloidal pieces of color which collect in the grain of the wood and make it a bit muddy. The Behlen "stain" is really a dye and does not lend to muddy-ness. With black, maybe it is not too different.

WMcD

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott

You can get dyes from various luthiers. Most of these will mix with water or alcohol.

From Stewart-MacDonald:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Colors,_tints,_and_stains/ColorTone_Liquid_Stains.html

From Luthiers Mercantile International, Inc.:

http://www.lmii.com/products/finishing

Well my center just showed up. It has a bit veneer damage which I didn't know about. So I think in a few years once living situation changes I may re veneer the center and towers and go for a one of a kind finish. Then there will be no need to match factory finish. Thanks guys for all the suggestions!

• 9 years later...

I know I know... I'm digging up another old thread. Sorry it's just how things go for me. Worse things have and will happen. So I got a pair of R-610Fs and there is some minor damage from shipping on the top corners of both speakers. I really don't want to wait for another return, it's obvious that UPS can't get them here without damaging them,this being the 3rd try, and it is minor. I'm getting a partial refund instead of waiting another week to 10 days for these speakers just to have them damaged yet again and possibly worse. I can fix the MDF easily but I don't know if it's possible to repair the vinyl or if it is how to fix it. I have ideas but most of the time I'm better off finding solutions which already exist. This thread came up in my search but not a lot else. Klipsch has to get the vinyl from a supplier I doubt they make it in house although I suppose it's possible but even if so there must be a way to get some. Any input on this? I'm not about to carve grains into the filler I use to repair the wood and try to match a pigment to a $300 pair of rear surround speakers unless there is absolutely no other choice which I would find very hard to believe.

PS the 2MB file upload size is super mega LAME-O!!!

IMG_20230107_154925111.jpg

2 hours ago, RayD8R said:

I'm getting a partial refund instead of waiting another week to 10 days for these speakers just to have them damaged yet again and possibly worse. I can fix the MDF easily but I don't know if it's possible to repair the vinyl or if it is how to fix it. 

you're better off to return the speakers , the vinyl is torn , you gotta peel it off , lift , clean , fix the MDF ,  re-glue the vinyl  and hide the ripped defects ., a repair  wont look  very good , but it is repairable .