New Capacitors for Kg4 Crossovers

dachuckster

Did a searck, nothing there;

I am looking at replacing the caps on my Kg4s which I have owned from day 1 (1985). A google search revealed a lot of info that the caps are pretty easy to replace, and to buy them at partsexpress.

However, it is not specified as to which ones, other than Solen are suggested.

I know I can also get entirely new crossovers from Bob Crites for $200, but if I can 90% of the performace of a new Crossover from buying $25-30 worth of new caps, I will go that route.

Which specific caps do I need to get?

PS I already bought and installed new diaphragms from Crites.....

Edited by dachuckster

Sorry, Im not good at reading schematics;

Do I need to replace 3 caps, one at 33, one at 3 and one at 8 microfarads?

Anything else in regards to specs on a particular cap that I need to get? For some I cant copy and paste, but there is a Solen 3.0 uF 400V Polypropylene, part # 027-542 for $3.42. Would this be one that would replace the one in th edrawing marked 3uF, just to the right of the item marked RDE070?

What is preferred, poly, metalized poly, or film and foil?

Looking at a real photo of the crossover, it looks like either the caps get unsoldered and the new ones soldered into place, or its a screw. Looks like it would be physically easy to do.

The other option is to buy the new Crites Xover, which look fantastic... :)

Edited by dachuckster

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the schematic Christopher. I took a photo of my crossover, it looks like there is not a poly switch (my speakers were bought fall of 1985). I may just go with Crites' kit, but undecided.

Are the caps the only items that people replace, or the other coils (or whatever they are) as well?

post-10302-0-72820000-1386104153_thumb.j

Replacing the tweeter diaphragm with titanium makes the biggest difference by far but after that replacing the tweeter inductor with a larger gauge would come in a close second... lastly replacing the tweeter circuit caps.

Replacing the tweeter diaphragm with titanium makes the biggest difference by far but after that replacing the tweeter inductor with a larger gauge would come in a close second... lastly replacing the tweeter circuit caps.

Already did that a year ago with Mr. Crites' titanium diaphragms. A very nice, easy and affordable upgrade.

Mundorf Mcap 250V are good if you wish the KG's were a bit sharper/brighter and Clarity Cap PX 250V are good if you wish they were a bit more mellow/darker. Both companies have better lines but you will run into fitment issues as the caps can get pretty big.... especially if you replace the inductor like I mentioned... I also like the Dayton 1% 250V caps as a good standard replacement

I wouldn't bother with the electrolytic cap in the woofer circuit unless you think it is out of spec... I replaced mine with a newer electrolytic and then later a large poly cap and didn't really notice a difference with either...

You don't have to use the same brand for both caps either. I'm actually using a Clarity Cap SA 630V for the 3uF (3.3uF) and a Mundorf Mcap 400V for the 8uF (8.2uF).