Help with KG 2.5 crossovers

wafish

Greetings Klipsch community from a new member , long time corner horn owner. My latest purchase is a set of kg 2.5 that I plan to give to my son to get him started in the right direction. The problem that I have with these speakers; I suspect the caps need to be replaced. Seems as though I have to drive them pretty hard to get much volume out of them. Plenty of base for there size but very lacking in mids and highs. I may not be the best judge of these little things since Im accustomed to listening to my horns but judging by the amount that I have to turn up the preamp on my mac verses the number of watts the meters say that Im outputting to them it seems like they just wont take the power. Is it possible that the caps are bad and the speakers as a whole are acting like resistors? Also was wondering where I can get a schematic for the crossovers on these little dudes.

Any help would sure be appreciated, Walt

yes there is output from all drivers, and yes I know Im a bad judge because of the efficiency of what Im accustomed to listening to but it seems as though the longer they play the better they get. Im still scratching my head. I wouldn't mind to recap them before I give them to junior but after looking at the crossovers on one Im not sure by sight if there are 2 or 4 caps. Hoping to get a schematic to be sure.

Thanks for the input

I have the same schematic Bob has, which means I probably got it from him or the same source.

The resistors and capacitors are the same values as what Cheric posted. The only thing left is the coils, which are probably the same too. Revisions sometimes only involve small things, like possibly a switch in the vendor making the boards, lead lengths, etc.

KG 2.2 and KG 2.5 have some minor differences on the caps on their crossovers.

On the KG 2.2...

The two purple left caps are a 25uf/100v

The big blue cap (left/center) is an 8uf... and...
the smaller blue cap (right/center) is a 4uf

post-38109-0-30680000-1384305442_thumb.j

Edited by cheric

btw, any advice on what kind of caps to use....anyone hear the can of worms open?

I have no opinions on capacitors.

I have no recommendations on caps either. Yesterday was Veterans day and war should not start the day after.

Edited by cheric

lol, didn't wanna start a war or skirmish (if I spelled that right) just looking for advice. never fooled with caps on a board before so obviously I haven't messed with radial caps.

Anyone willing to give direction of where to look would help, :)

Parts-express.com would be a good place.

The 25uf and 18uf (orange ones) could be electrolytic caps and the 8uf and 4uf (brown ones) could be the Dayton polypropylene caps. Cost about $20 plus shipping.

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/crossover-capacitors/292

• Like 2