Comfort issue with Status over ear headphones and thoughts

Furball

I finally received a pair of these headphones. They are pretty, and do sound fantastic. However, should my ears be making contact with the hard plastic grille inside the ear cups? It's pressing against my ears, causing pain points after a little bit of time. The ear cup padding doesn't appear to be keeping the grilles off my ears, may not be enough padding there.

I also noticed that the angle of the speaker grille is flat, not angled with the shape of the ear like other brand over-ear headphones I have used. The grilles were angled further into the earcups at the back of the ear cups, allowing for the part of the ear that sticks out to not rub against it.

Wondering if there is a remedy for this or if this is an issue people have or will have. I never used any previous Klipsch over head headphones, so can't compare to those.

I do have to say though, the sound quality is spectacular. Especially when paired with one of the new iBasso DX50 high performance audio players playing .flac files. Brilliant. I still have my Klipsch x10i's, which have been amazing over the years. Those are also quite comfy, so looking for something with similar quality audio that I can use without the cable shaking noise associated with IEMs, thus the point of trying out the Status headphones. I didn't want the active noise cancelling of the previous model, thus I skipped it.

I do have to say though, especially since the Status headphones have replaceable cables, it'd be nice if Klipsch made a nice cloth cable (either included or sold seperately) that has a mic compatible with Android / Windows / linux devices. Been using the x10i's for years, never with an apple product, so the mic and control has never worked. Clearly it'd be easy to just make the android compatible cable to plug in the Status headphones, or even if one cable could be made to be universal with a switch on the mic control to be either apple or android compatible. The only difference, to my understanding, is two swapped around pins/wires to the headphone jack on the phone.

Anyway, now only if I could get it to not make my ear lobes so sore, these headphones sound the best I've gotten to hear from over ear headphones. The speaker grilles of these headphones feel mighty unpleasant pressed against ones ears. I find myself having to take some breaks, shifting them around, resting the leather ear pads on the back of my ear to press it down. Feels more comfortable temporarily, but that gets uncomfortable soon as well. Not sure my ears are fitting these ear cups the way they seem to be designed.

Thanks!

To add on to this, after comparing the status over ear headphones with the x10i earbuds, certain things crop to mind. For one thing it has occurred to me that I really enjoy the sound signature of the status headphones over the x10's, the audio is even more crisp and the bass more detailed (and also not so boomy). The x10's seem to feature a bass boost which I haven't paid too much attention to before, as I didn't have another reference to compare it to.

Regarding my earcup discomfort, it is still rather uncomfortable. However I'm not sure I really want to be without them either. People who reviewed the Mode headphones have stated that their headbands were too tight, and in that regard that is probably why the status headphones are uncomfortable for me. The tightness is literally squeezing down the memory foam to almost nothing causing the speaker grille to rest against my ears. Some people have recommended stretching out the clamping action by leaving it on the box of which the headphones came in for several nights. I believe it may be helping, though I'm not sure yet. One thing is for sure, if they didn't clamp down by as much as a few mm they would both seal and not touch my ears at the same time. The memory foam is apparently not firm enough to support the clamping power of the thing.

I'd also still like an Android compatible mic / control cable. Been looking at third party options from bose / beats audio, however their cables don't match the status headphones. Though they'd work, apparently.